• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Movies That Never Should Have Had A Sequel

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think we can all agree that there's a movie where its absolutely great... until you see the sequel.

So here are some movies that never should have had a sequel (in my opinion)

Home Alone 2
Spy Kids 4.
What movies do you think never should have had a sequel. Or a sequel to a sequel.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Terminator

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Most sequels are unnecessary, but for me the biggest offenders are...

Next Friday & The Friday After Next (& the upcoming Last Friday)
The Fly II
Caddyshack II
The Hangover Part II
Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2
Taken 2 & Taken 3
Weekend At Bernie's II
Son of the Mask

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
Most sequels are unnecessary, but for me the biggest offenders are...

Next Friday & The Friday After Next (& the upcoming Last Friday)
The Fly II
Caddyshack II
The Hangover Part II
Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2
Taken 2 & Taken 3
Weekend At Bernie's II
Son of the Mask

Don’t forget The Sting 2.

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
Taken 2 & Taken 3

Never watched the taken movies but ive heard nothing but good things about them.
Well....
One of them anyway

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
SonofSinbad said:
Neglify said:
Taken 2 & Taken 3

Never watched the taken movies but ive heard nothing but good things about them.
Well....
One of them anyway

I watched the first and was like "I don't get the hype."

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
Don’t forget The Sting 2.

Thanks for reminding me. Never saw it. No reason for that one to exist.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wishmaster.
Halloween. 
The Hobbit only needed to be one movie,id that counts. 
Robocop. 
Rurouni Kenshin (I love the original series, and the first movie. The story arc that the second and 3rd movies are based on is excellent in the show, but it ties into a plot point from the first arc that was missing in the first movie, so a certain character's motivations are now shallow). 

There's probably more.

Dr. Chim Richalds

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.  It says "LAST", damnit!

Also, I never saw it, but The Neverending Story II.

mr-simpson-this-is-the-most-blatant-case-of-fraudulent-13930759.png

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Dark Knight. 
Batman Returns (though I'm watching Forever right now for the first time in a while, and it's really not all that bad. I guess this one then. Batman and Robin is really the only bad one of the 4.)
Silence of the Lambs. 
Jurassic Park (to be fair, I haven't seen any of them in their entirety except for Jurassic World).

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Alien
The Blair Witch Project
The Butterfly Effect
Candyman
Children of the Corn
Child's Play (haven't seen the sequels, but they sound like trash)
Death Wish (haven't seen the sequels, but they sound like trash)
Ghostbusters
Hellraiser
Highlander
The Hills Have Eyes (haven't seen the sequel, but it sounds like trash)
The Hitcher
Jaws
Jurassic Park
A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (this should've been the absolute final entry in the series)
Pet Sematary
Phantasm
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
Poltergeist
Predator
RoboCop
The Silence of the Lambs
Sleepaway Camp
Star Wars

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Personally, I think Child's Play 2 is the best in the series. Several people I know say that Curse of Chucky is the best. 3 wasn't bad, Bride was funny, haven't seen Seed or Cult, but Cult is supposedly great. I recommend checking them out sometime.

Hellraiser, I've only seen the first film, but isn't the second a direct continuation and regarded well?

I completely agree with Nightmare on Elm Street. 

I actually really like Predator 2, but I won't try to say it's objectively better.

I actually almost said Star Wars. I love most of the other films, but the first film is my favorite and could've totally stayed a stand alone film.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
Hellraiser, I've only seen the first film, but isn't the second a direct continuation and regarded well?

I do like Hellraiser II, but it's an open-ended sequel which set up Hellraiser III, so I hold that against it.

I actually almost said Star Wars. I love most of the other films, but the first film is my favorite and could've totally stayed a stand alone film.

Suffice to say, I come from the opposite direction; I LOATHE most of the other films. The current state of the franchise and fandom both has quashed much of my enthusiasm for the franchise, and it wasn't particularly high even before Disney purchased Lucasfilm. I can't even enjoy the OT on its own, as I hate ROTJ. So I'm left SW '77, the only SW film which doesn't need a prequel or sequel to work.

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I’d say: 
- Saw 
- Jaws 
- Halloween 
- The Dark Knight (as much as I like The Dark Knight Rises) 
- Jurassic Park 
- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (can’t agree more @"Dr. Chim Richalds")

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
There are different kind of sequels and so different kind of problems.

You have the direct sequel continuing a story that was planned like that. 
You have have direct sequels that were only made because the first movie was a hit. 
You have different stories with reccurent characters, so you kind of judge each movie independently (the fact Indy 4 was not great does not makes Raiders less good).

And then there is.... The Terminator...! (yes again a "rant" of mine about Terminator)

Even if I am among the rare people who can enjoy ALL Terminator movies (on different levels of course!) I sort of agree with @"TM2YC" . The Terminator is a perfect loop story where the goal is not to change the future but to make it happen the way it should be (the whole story itself implies that nothing can be changed) . So as soon as you start to play with different timelines, you're fucked, because it is supposed to be a serious movie, not a a BTTF where you can do anything just for the fun of it.

What I like the most in T2 is the fact that we really don't know in the end if they changed the future or not. They tried, and that's the important message of the movie, humans being humans they have to try to change the future if they think they can (the opposite basis of the first movie where Reese just want the future to be as it shoud be). BUT I like that it is not said if they succeeded or not. We do not see alternate timelines in the movie, it is respectful enough of the original story.
So... I would say that even if The Terminator is a perfect movie on it's own, T2 is good "mirror" movie. My only "problem" being that the tone of the movie is way more family ortiented than the great horror / scifi / thriller first movie. The other T sequels I can enjoy them just like I would watch James Bond movies or fan films.  We'll see what Cameron have in store for the next one...

All that to say that, no, I don't think of one single sequel/prequel that makes me like the original less. (if I can deal with Attack of the Clone I can deal with anything!)

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
There are different kind of sequels and so different kind of problems.

You have the direct sequel continuing a story that was planned like that. 
You have have direct sequels that were only made because the first movie was a hit. 
You have different stories with reccurent characters, so you kind of judge each movie independently (the fact Indy 4 was not great does not make Raiders less good).

And then there is.... The Terminator...! (yes again a "rant" of mine about Terminator)

Even if I am among the rare people who can enjoy ALL Terminator movies (on different levels of course!) I sort of agree with @"TM2YC" . The Terminator is a perfect loop story where the goal is not to change the future but to make it happen the way it should be (the whole story itself implies that nothing can be changed) . So as soon as you start to play with different timelines, you're fucked, because it is supposed to be a serious movie, not a a BTTF where you can do anything just for the fun of it.

What I like the most in T2 is the fact that we really don't know in the end if they changed the future or not. They tried, and that's the important message of the movie, humans being humans they have to try to change the future if they think they can (the opposite basis of the first movie where Reese just want the future to be as it shoud be). BUT I like that it is not said if they succeeded or not. We do not see alternate timelines in the movie, it is respectful enough of the original story.
So... I would say that even if The Terminator is a perfect movie on its own, T2 is good "mirror" movie. My only "problem" being that the tone of the movie is way more family ortiented than the great horror / scifi / thriller first movie. The other T sequels I can enjoy them just like I would watch James Bond movies or fan films.  We'll see what Cameron have in store for the next one...

All that to say that, no, I don't think of one single sequel/prequel that makes me like the original less. (if I can deal with Attack of the Clones I can deal with anything!)

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Matrix

While the second was (sort of) watchable, the sheer amount of pretentious codswallop the sequels indulged in sully the original somewhat for me. If they had been made by different directors I could look at them as more separate entities but the Wachowski's completely blew it with the sequels, I don't think any amount of fan editing could ever make them into worthy sequels.

Top Bottom