• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Wars Silent edition, DUSTY VERSION part1

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Even before the release of my Star Wars 30's serial edition (or silent edition) the thought of doing an old looking, dusty version of this edit came to me. I wanted a simple, clean, black and white, 16:9 release first, but to complete the idea of an old silent edition of Star Wars a little more work had to be done.
First I did not want to go too far in the changing process, but after some talkings at OT.com (thanks to you all) I began to realize that since a clean version was already available, this new "dusty" version needed to be quite different.

Reminder: What is the Star Wars 30's serial edition "clean version" ?
It's a 4h40 long silent Star Wars movie (only Williams score), black and white, 16:9 ratio.
with dialogues cards, splited in two parts (1 DVD for the prequels, 1 DVD for the original trilogy).
Each episode can be watched as a (more or less) 45 minutes episode.
Fan editor: The Man Behind The Mask.

Now DUSTY version part1 (the prequels) is done.
Here are the changes:

- New 4:3 ratio (including "new" camera movements by animating the 4:3 cropping)
- New black and white and sometime different tints (mostly depending on wich planete the action takes place)
- Multiple Premiere Pro filters added to the picture, including a 18 frames per second filter.
- Noises, scratches, vignetting, bluring effects added.
- A simple audio menu with the choice between stereo or a "dusty" mono mix. Stereo version only on the divX versions, for now
(if some would want the mono mix with divx versions, I could make them though)
- Very minor new edits. (including a short new edit of the introduction of Darth Maul facing the 2 Jedi.)
- Minor text changes. (Thanks to Ripplin, for my english is not always very good!)

"Clean version":

"Dusty version":

"Clean version":

"Dusty version":

"Clean version":

"Dusty version":

The result is pretty much what I had in mind when I started the project. I only think that maybe all the "old" filters made the encoding process a bit difficult. Anyway, I did my best.
I think the clean version is still the most "comfortable" way to watch this edit but this new one had to be done.
Maybe some of you will not like the 18 frames per second style, I personaly think you get used to it quite quickly.
I hope those who liked the first version will be interested in this one, and I hope those who waited for this Dusty edit will like it.

Maybe downloadable from Fanedit.info

So this version has no dialogue cards? That being said, if this was watched by someone who had never seen these films, would they know what was going on? Just curious :) .

Yes, it has the same dialogue cards than the previous version, only minor mistakes are fixed (and they are in 4:3 ratio now, of course).
I tried to delete some of them (for I think that they're maybe to many of them from time to time) but I finaly kept them where they are. Sometime the story would have been difficult to follow without them, and sometime I simply did not have any movie material left to fit the holes.

Ah, cool. In the title description on FE it says it has NO dialogue cards.

Unless it has been edited it says: No voices, dialogue cards, no sound effects, only John Williams music.
So yes it has dialogue cards but I agree that the sentence is not very clear, sorry. :)

This edit is now available at MEGA
(PM me for now, or wait for arrival at your favorite local store)

The first episode of this fanedit is now on Vimeo.
Check my blog to see it.

All 5 other episodes will be added each week.

I normally wouldn't watch this type of edit, but since it's streaming...

I skimmed through it, and it looks quite good. But if there's no audio then I reckon you should have changed the dialogue, since episode one can always do with more improvement.
I liked the adding of the original star wars music for the destruction of the droid ship.

yoshif8tures said:
if there's no audio then I reckon you should have changed the dialogue, since episode one can always do with more improvement.

Yup, I know. It was my first edit and all I wanted to do is showing the saga in that format and play with the music. Not changing the story. So the dialogue are more or less the same as the original. Or at least have about the same meaning. Except in some strategical places. (Even more so in Episode 2 if I remember well)
If I had waited few more years before doing that silent edit I would probably have changed a lot of things.
It is what it is. :)

Episode III is up on Vimeo. See you next week for Episode IV.

Episode IV silent Serial edit is up on my blog

2 more to go.

Episode V and VI are on vimeo.
The whole silent saga is now online.

Back
Top Bottom