• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Splitting surround sound into separate channels for Mac

eldiablosuizo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What programs are available to accomplish such a task for a cheapo like me?

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
cinematize 2 pro does the job.

eldiablosuizo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm bringing this topic back up because I'm poor, I've tried a lot, and I still haven't found a free splitter for AC3 for Mac.

Are there any free Windows emulators, AC3 splitters for Mac, or is this the Kobayashi Maru?

JMB

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mpeg Streamclip- It's free.

Tubes

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
MPEG Streamclip works. If you have DVD Studio Pro, the .AC3 program that comes with it works perfectly.

Type12point

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've only for one complaint about MPEG Streamclip. When I split off one channel of VOB with the video, and the other channels from that same VOB just as audio I end up with different length files. If I split off the video from a VOB alone, and audio channels from that same VOB, again they end up (minutely) different lengths. It's not much of a problem, but it's mildly troublesome. Ever encounter this, Tubes?

eldiablosuizo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Could someone PM me with some instructions for splitting AC-3 in MPEG Streamclip? I've searched, but can't really find anything or I just haven't tried hard enough.

JMB

Reaction score
Trophy Points
eldiablosuizo said:
Could someone PM me with some instructions for splitting AC-3 in MPEG Streamclip? I've searched, but can't really find anything or I just haven't tried hard enough.

There are instructions under the "Help" menu in MPEG streamclip.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't know if this is related to this thread or not, but I'll post what I would like, and hopefully people smarter than I can let me know what direction if any, I can go in.

I'm editing in Final Cut Pro and for a noob I think I've got the visual edit's down pat, and for the most part have been able to use crossfading to mask 98% of my edits so that someone who has not memorized the soundtrack won't recognize the transitions as an edit. But that 2% is killing me.

What software if any can I get, freeware or if need-be by purchase, that can separate the score from the vocals and sound fx? And if so, any guides or hints how to use it. I have Sound Studio Pro as it came with Final Cut, but I have no idea how the heck to use the thing.

Can the software mentioned in this thread do what I need? Can any software do this? It seems to me that it must be possible. The Phantom Editor was able to drop the insipid droid dialogue yet maintain all other audio aspects.

As always, this padawan learner will be grateful for any assistance and knowledge.

scrapesky

Reaction score
Trophy Points
i use several programs. mu Blu Ray ripper "Pavtube" will extract the ac3 from the blu ray, but will not split it. have you tried Audacity? its free and can do some good work. i use some of my Adobe CS4 programs. i will do some searching on my Mac and see what i can pull up to split ac3 for free.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
New question building on my previous.

My workflow I'm trying is to use OSEx to rip a single VOB of the maint title, then run that through MPEG Streamclip to create a Quicktime MOV and then bring that into Final Cut Pro. I enjoyed this workflow because it has a wonderful benefit of having a/v synchronize perfectly.

But then I couldn't leave well enough alone. I want to manipulate discrete channels in order to control music and dialog, so I used MPEG Streamclip to output 3 aif files; center, L/R and Surround L/R. These all import into Final Cut quite nicely and drop into the timeline. I also have SoundSoap to further filter discrete channels if need be (particularly the center where most dialog exists) though I've only experimented with that application.

The issue I'm running into may be tied to my work flow, so those more experienced than I please let me know if I'm in the right direction.

The problem is that it appears that any time I try to manipulate one of the 3 aif files (and remove the original mov portion of the 3/2 audio) I get an indication of a conflict (red line at top of timeline) and then hear a repeated monotone beep. It only happens if I remove the audio component of the MOV from the timeline, or if I try and change the location of, or length of the discrete aif files (extending past an edit to keep a sound or music cue that I want for more time while dropping out the center if needed).

So the question is, assuming that the linked audio is the problem, what is the best way to eliminate it? Should I use FCP to export a DV file and just bring that back into FCP? Should I re-run the VOB through Streamclip and output DV? Can I export Quicktime without audio? (I'm away from my home computer so can't recall the options). Is it even advisable to do that and rely solely on the 3 aif files which is more work, but allows more freedom? (and will this cause problems when I try to compress this, will it still be 5.1? will it become 2.0?) I know these are a lot of questions in one thread but I just want to make sure I'm doing this right before I get knee-deep in my edits again (I'm already starting over, I'd prefer not to do it again :) )

I have a separate question regarding handling audio in FCP vs Soundtrack Pro, but I'm going to research that before I add to the discussion board. Thanks for any guidance guys!

Remixed by Jorge

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
L8wrtr said:
The problem is that it appears that any time I try to manipulate one of the 3 aif files (and remove the original mov portion of the 3/2 audio) I get an indication of a conflict (red line at top of timeline) and then hear a repeated monotone beep. It only happens if I remove the audio component of the MOV from the timeline, or if I try and change the location of, or length of the discrete aif files (extending past an edit to keep a sound or music cue that I want for more time while dropping out the center if needed).
red line means it can't play media real time. did you try to render the seq?

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks KBM, that would totally be the issue. I'll sit in the corner with my pointy hat.

However, this little mental gaffe has pushed me into a better direction. I've re-exported the vob as QT without sound, and am now working with one vid file and three aif files. Now that I have some more FPC 101 knowledge, I can make much better edits.

Next up, learning to use Sound Soap.

As always, thanks for your help.

Top Bottom