• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Batman (2021)

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:

No surprise there. Honestly: I think that we've had more than enough Batman movies for a while, and without Affleck, I don't see the point.

I think Warner Bros should do what the MCU does and give movies to more obscure characters that movie audiences might not know very well (which appears to be the case with Shazam and Birds of Prey).

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think I'm done giving super-hero movies money.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I wonder if superhero fatigue would be so appparent if most of these movies weren't the same movie with a different coat of paint.

Matt Reeves + 'Noir-style' makes me interested, but I can't say I'm excited. Mostly I just want to wait for this on home release so I can see it in black and white, because I doubt WB would be bold enough to release an entire film in black and white.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
We've had as many movie Batman's as Bonds now (or will have once they annouce Afflecks successor), imagine if they get to Batman 25

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zamros said:
I wonder if superhero fatigue would be so appparent if most of these movies weren't the same movie with a different coat of paint.

Matt Reeves + 'Noir-style' makes me interested, but I can't say I'm excited. Mostly I just want to wait for this on home release so I can see it in black and white, because I doubt WB would be bold enough to release an entire film in black and white.

Are you saying superhero fatigue exists but we all don't see it yet? Is that what apparent means in this context?

It seems to me based on all your posts about these movies that you just don't particularly care for superhero films. Which is totally cool. But they're not all the same movie with different coats of paint, you just view them very reductively because they don't engage you very much. You can say that about any genre or type of film (slashers, Star Wars movies, biopics, film noirs, fantasy movies, biblical epics, and literally every other subgenre of movies). All you're really saying is "These don't really connect with me so I don't appreciate any of the permutations or variations in the storytelling or playing with genre tropes." Which, again, is fine. It's the same with music. People who don't like a genre (hip hop, classical, jazz, metal, again literally any genre) will say they all sound the same. And they do to them. But they're not. We could all explain the nuance and genius of the genre we love, because it's there in all types of art.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
thecuddlyninja said:
It seems to me based on all your posts about these movies that you just don't particularly care for superhero films....

Please don't tell me what I think or feel, that's a really fucking shitty way to talk to someone. I could tell you all the stories of my lifelong connection to superhero stories, but that probably wouldn't satisfy the image you have painted based on a few comments thrown about here and there. If I didn't like this genre I wouldn't be making an edit of the MCU, I wouldn't have seen every single one of those films (except Ant-Man and the Wasp) in cinemas, I wouldn't have read countless trade paperbacks about Spider-Man, Batman and Aquaman.

You want to talk about my issues with modern superhero films? Sure. I think that the majority of the genre has issues. Does that mean I don't care for them? I'm not burnt out on DC movies because I hate the genre. I'm burnt out on them because Wonder Woman and Aquaman have been the only half decent ones and I've shifted preference towards animation, which I feel can tell superhero stories better. I'm getting burnt out on the MCU because, with the exception of a handful, most follow the same basic plot structure beat for beat.

Thankyou for gaslighting me about one of my favourite forms of art, that was an incredibly horrible thing to do.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
@"Zamros" 
This reaction confuses me. Cuddly says at the front the rest of the post was how it seems to him based on your posts, not necessarily how it actually is. He also didn't say anything about you and superheroes as a whole, but extrapolated conclusions about how you might feel, specifically about the film genre. I don't think that counts as gaslighting, even if it's an incorrect conclusion. If I'm misunderstanding please let me know.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
PSA:
If ever you feel someone has harassed, berated, or otherwise attacked you please tactfully seek for understanding in the forum or use PM's to seek for clarification with that individual. Iff needed, feel free to involve a staff member as a mediator. Giving the benefit of the doubt and a bit of grace will help us all remember we are, or can choose to be, friends.

It may be my limited experience, but i believe most often people aren't out to harm eachother.

I appreciate everyone for allowing a bit of grace to eachother. :)

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's all good. I think I made my point about how we all view reductively art that doesn't connect with us. I am sure I didn't say it in the best way possible, and judging by the response, it didn't come off well, or he was having a bad day (I know I was), or all the above. 

@"Zamros" you have always seemed like a stand up guy and I'm sorry you felt so attacked. I intended to rebuke strongly what you said in your post, not attack you as a person or impugn your history with comics.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looking like this will be an R rated Batman.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't know, this looks kinda silly to me. I do like that they've finally gone with some bat-mascara when he takes the cowl off.

QuickestEditInTheWest

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looks good to me. Not blowing me away but I'm digging the general aesthetic and I think Pattinson looks good in the role. Intrigued to see more.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gotta say, I'm not a fan of what little we've seen. It seems steeped in melodrama and RPats looks like he got lost on the way to a My Chemical Romance concert.

I burst out laughing when he said "I am vengeance", what utter trite

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zamros said:
I burst out laughing when he said "I am vengeance", what utter trite

I wonder if he's going to say the rest?

Trez75

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I don't know, this looks kinda silly to me. I do like that they've finally gone with some bat-mascara when he takes the cowl off.

Same opinion. I don't know how to feel about it. I mean it looks promising but the bat-mascara makeup remixed by Robert Smith looks definitely odd.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looks like it could be good but I'm still not buying Pattinson as Bruce Wayne/Batman. And in that last shot he kinda looks like Brandon Lee from The Crow.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
Looks like it could be good but I'm still not buying Pattinson as Bruce Wayne/Batman. And in that last shot he kinda looks like Brandon Lee from The Crow.

I think the eye makeup looks great and Pattinson is one of the best actors around these days (especially with psychologically troubled characters), so I'd have a hard time believing he wouldn't be good in the role. It's everything around him, the design of the costume and the possible sadistic tone tone that I'm more worried about. However, IIRC this trailer is based off the 25% of footage already shot, so the finished product will be vastly different. Hope it's good.

To me it kinda looks like they made a movie about the hockey pads guy:

hockeypants.png

Top Bottom