• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

"Waterworld: The Ulysses Cut" gets official Blu-ray release.

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hbenthow said:
The fanedit "Waterworld: The Ulysses Cut" has now been released as part of an official Blu-ray set, and can now be purchased.

I must be a Willie Sausagehead because I am confused. Is this a fanedit (for sale?), an official release or both?

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Denizen said:
I must be a Willie Sausagehead because I am confused. Is this a fanedit (for sale?), an official release or both?

It's an official Blu-ray release of "Waterworld" that includes multiple cuts, including the "Ulysses Cut" fanedit.

ChainsawAsh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's an official release. It seems to be pretty much an official version of the fan edit, which was just restoring the censored scenes to the extended TV cut anyway if I'm not mistaken.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I got the set last week but haven't got around to watching it yet. This is all the info that the packaging has on the Ulysses Cut (beyond what it says on the Amazon listing):

31951027437_767d815194_c.jpg

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow! So that particular fanedit is legendary. I can't wait to watch it. I always felt that movie was better than all of the backlash. I did drag on and have major plot holes.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So now that this edit is getting an official release, does that mean that it is now the company's property, making it illegal to trade the edit without buying the new release?

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes.

Well, "illegal" can mean lots of things.  But as far as this site is concerned, you must buy the new release.  There's no reason to download the edit anymore unless you're ok with piracy, which we are not.

If you have any further concerns on this matter (speaking to everyone now), consult the Own The Source rule, and then PM a staff member if needed.  Further discussion of the rules in this thread is not permitted.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was just curious, I wasn't going to try to fight the rules or argue or complain or anything, just curious. I'll drop it then.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watched the new Arrow-Video restored 3-hour "Ulysses" cut this evening. 99% of it looks like stunning detailed HD and I was wondering where all the "unfinished" shots were? It's only until the very last part when a few dodgy looking shots creep in and then there is a whole minute that looks like upscaled cr*p going into the epilogue.

I saw the Theatrical Cut at the cinema in 1995 and like most people I was disappointed it wasn't as good as, or anything like 'Mad Max 2' as one might've expected from the promotional material and premise. I remember not liking the Dennis Hopper centered scenes and in this longer cut, I liked them even less. The character scenes between the three main characters are captivating and the parts where The Mariner is going full Errol Flynn and showing what a proficient badass he is are thrilling. Whenever the film moves away from those two successful elements, it grinds to a halt.

The opening FX shot where you see the world's land masses swallowed up by the melting ice-caps seems a whole lot less like fantasy in 2019.

Definitely some great fanedit potential here.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Maelstrom: The Odyssey of Waterworld (1 hour 47 minute new making of on the blu-ray set)
New feature length making of from Arrow films included on the new 'Waterworld' triple blu-ray set. Plenty of revealing new interview footage with all the major crew players (Producer, Writer, Director etc etc) but none of the main cast. Sadly it doesn't feature any on set footage, outside of a few shots culled from a 9-minute period promotional videotape that is included on the blu-ray anyway. There are some stills and design artwork but not enough to make this much more than an interesting audio track.

The extras also included a fantastic 20-minute+ video by critic Glenn Kenny doing a whistle-stop tour of the history of apocalyptic cinema from 'Things to Come', to 'Waterworld' and beyond. So many bonkers sounding disaster B-movies to add to my watch list. This one from 1970 'No Blade of Grass' looked especially interesting:

(^ Amazing trailer. Like 'Mad Max' 10-years early)

iridium_ionizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
So now that this edit is getting an official release...

Anyone have some future predictions as to when fanediting goes from grey area to full-blown corporate business model? Considering how easy it would be for studios to monetize multiple versions and host them for digital distribution, I think it's soon. 20 years. 

What do you think?

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
iridium_ionizer said:
jrWHAG42 said:
So now that this edit is getting an official release...

Anyone have some future predictions as to when fanediting goes from grey area to full-blown corporate business model? Considering how easy it would be for studios to monetize multiple versions and host them for digital distribution, I think it's soon. 20 years. 

What do you think?

You mean as a standard practice or just sometimes? If you mean sometimes, we're already there. As a standard, I think it'll come in waves, similar to how some directors who have only wanted to shoot on film are finally trying out digital (Tarantino in Sin City, albeit only one scene, and Coen Bros in Ballad of Buster Scruggs). I think some editors and directors will remain real sticklers about one cut being the definitive version and wanting no alternative cuts, but some will likely jump on board and not care at all. 

I think the biggest hurdle is probably whether the potential audience will be confused or overwhelmed by choice, so the presentation would have to be well thought and well-marketed. Blade Runner would be my example there. I think most movie goers don't know or care what the Directors Cut or Final Cut or European Cut are or what's different about them. 

Even then, officially released fanedits are always going to be more along the lines of basic scene removals and scene extentions, maybe rescores. You're not going to see tv to movie edits, combination edits of multiple films, anything with new effects or new scenes created just for the edit, the higher concept stuff. Simply because of the legal issues that would have to be resolved for something like that to be sold.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, I know at least some directors won't allow it, because they'd be insulted at the fact that people think they can do a better job. But if it's solely up to the companies, I can see it happening more, though I'm not sure if if it really should become a common thing. But I have no idea.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
Well, I know at least some directors won't allow it, because they'd be insulted at the fact that people think they can do a better job. But if it's solely up to the companies, I can see it happening more, though I'm not sure if if it really should become a common thing. But I have no idea.

Yeah there's no way fanedits from here or by amateurs are going to be sold, imo. That's a whole other can of worms, legally. I'm thinking more along the lines of this thread, where am official edit was made by the rights owners that happens to be nearly identical to something an amateur editor came up with or could have come up with.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I bet Soderbergh will be in the vanguard if it does start happening. If any big directors get it, it's him.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I vaguely remember some other fanedit getting released on an official DVD or Blu-ray (as a bonus disc, if I recall right), but I can't remember which one it was. If I recall right, it was even the actual fanedit as-is, not a remastered version. I could be wrong, but I think it may have been a black and white edit of a color movie. Does anyone here know which edit I'm talking about?

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A quick search, Raising Crain's director found a fanedit of it and loved it, releasing it officially as a director's cut. But I swear there was another case, that I can't remember.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
A quick search, Raising Crain's director found a fanedit of it and loved it, releasing it officially as a director's cut.

That might be the one that I was thinking of.

Top Bottom