• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Favourite Actors

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Who are your favourite actors? What film (or TV) role of theirs is your favourite? Mine are, in alphabetical order:

• Erick Avari (Kasuf from Stargate)
  • Bart the Bear (Bear from The Edge)
  • Laura Bertram ((purple) Trance Gemini from Andromeda)
  • Clancy Brown (Kurgan from Highlander)
  • Nicolas Cage (Red Miller from Mandy)
  • Bruce Campbell (Ashley J. Williams from the Evil Dead Trilogy)
  • Julie Christie (Clarisse from Fahrenheit 451)
  • Jeffrey Combs (Milton Dammers from The Frighteners)
  • Jennifer Connelly (Jennifer Corvino from Phenomena)
  • Tim Curry (Darkness from Legend)
  • Mira Furlan (Delenn from Babylon 5)
  • Sarah Gadon (Grace Marks from Alias Grace)
  • Michael Ironside (couldn't begin to narrow this down)
  • James Earl Jones (Darth Vader from the Original Star Wars Duology)
  • Boris Karloff (John Gray from The Body Snatcher)
  • Heather Langenkamp (Nancy Thompson from A Nightmare on Elm Street)
  • Christopher Lee (couldn't begin to narrow this down)
  • Tom McCamus (Mason Eckhart from Mutant X)
  • Richard Moll (Mestema from The Dungeonmaster)
  • Leonard Nimoy (Spock from Star Trek)
  • Peter O’Toole (Silas Ruthyn from The Dark Angel)
  • Vincent Price (couldn't begin to narrow this down)
  • John Saxon (Donald Thompson from A Nightmare on Elm Street 3)
  • Max von Sydow (Antonius Block from The Seventh Seal)

Last edited:

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Willem Dafoe is a favorite of mine, with how expensive and unsettling he can be, along other factors. Of course my introduction to him was Spider-Man, though I also love him in Streets of Fire, and more recently, he's the best actor in Aquaman. 

I love Liam Neeson in Darkman and Phantom Menace, though I honestly haven't seen anything else with him. 

Michael B. Jordan is one of the only redeeming factors of the recent Fahrenheit 451 adaptation  Not to mention his role in the Creed films, I'm really enjoying his acting so far. 

Michael Shannon is another redeeming factor of Fahrenheit 451, and I can't think of a better actor for Beatty. He's pretty great in Shape of Water too. The only other film I've seen him in, Man of Steel, I personally don't like him as Zod. 

Chris Evans is hot, though while I love the 2005 Fantastic Four, I kinda can't stand Johnny Storm. But Chris Evans in Scott Pilgrim is pretty great. Oh, and that America guy, I guess that's cool too. 

But you can't have Lucas Lee without Jason Lee. Love him in My Name is Earl, love him in Skate 3, love him in We Bare Bears, and I probably haven't seen any of his best roles. 

From one Lee to another, Christopher Lee. Rasputin and Dooku. Enough said. Again, probably haven't seen his best roles. Rest in peace... 

I'm going to stop for now.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm going to put mine in a spoiler tag as it's pretty large.
Harrison Ford - I'm cheating on this one: Han Solo, Indiana Jones, Jack Ryan, Richard Kimble
Tom Hanks - Chuck Noland in Cast Away
Patrick Stewart - Jean Luc Picard in ST:TNG
Jimmy Stewart - Every single role he played, but I do love George Bailey in It's A Wonderful Life
Gregory Peck - Atticus Finch in To Kill A Mockingbird
Cary Grant - Charade or Roger Thornhill in North by Northwest
Dick Van Dyke - Caractacus Potts in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
James Earl Jones - Mufasa in The Lion King
Sidney Poitier - Tommy Tyler in Edge of the City
Henry Fonda - Juror 8 in 12 Angry Men
Grace Kelly - Frances Stevens in To Catch a Thief or Lisa Carol Fremont in Rear Window
Sean Connery - Draco in DragonHeart
Tommy Lee Jones - Samuel Gerard in The Fugitive & US Marshalls or Agent K in Men In Black
Robert Redford - Jeremiah Johnson
John Wayne - Rooster Cogburn in True Grit & Rooster Cogburn
Peter Sellers - Grand Duchess Gloriana XII / Prime Minister Count Rupert of Mountjoy / Tully Bascombe in The Mouse That Roared
Edward G Robinson - I don't know that I have one role, I just think he was a fantastic actor
Julie Andrews - Mary Poppins
Katharine Hepburn - Miss Eula Goodnight in Rooster Cogburn
Denzel Washington - Herman Boone in Remember the Titans
Brad Pitt - Rusty Ryan in Ocean's Eleven or Heinrich Harrer in Seven Years in Tibet
George Clooney - Danny Ocean in Ocean's Eleven or Everett in in O' Brother Where Art Thou
Robin Williams - Peter Pan(ning) in Hook or Jakob in Jakob the Liar
Leonard Nimoy - Spock - STII or STVI
Jeremy Brett - Sherlock Holmes
Maggie Smith - She's fantastic in every role she plays
Jean Arthur - Saunders in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington or Alice Sycamore in You Can't Take It with You
Ann Miller - Essie Carmichael in You Can't Take It with You
Helen Mirren - Victoria in Red
Thelma Ritter - Agatha Clegg in How the West was Won
Debbie Reynolds - Lilith Prescott in How the West was Won
Michael J. Fox - Marty McFly in Back to the Future
Jim Henson - Jen in The Dark Crystal
Frank Oz - Yoda in The Empire Strikes Back
Joseph Gordon Levitt - Arthur in Inception
Ian McKellen - Gandalf the Grey in The Fellowship of the Ring
Tom Cruise - Ethan Hunt
Tom Hardy - Eames in Inception
Sam Elliot - Captain Wood in I Will Fight No More Forever or Tell Sackett in The Sacketts
Brent Spiner - Data in ST:TNG
Charlton Heston - Juda Ben Hur in Ben Hur
Patricia Routledge - Hetty Wainthropp or Hyacinth in Keeping Up Appearances
Matthew McConaughey - Cooper in Interstellar
Heath Ledger - William in A Knight's Tale
Megan Follows - Anne of Avonlea
LaVar Burton - Geordi La Forge in ST:TNG or himself in Reading Rainbow ;)
Liam Neeson - Jean Valjean in Les Miserables
Morgan Freeman - I've never seen a bad performance, but I think my favorite is his portrayal of Azeem in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
Andy Griffith - Ben Matlock in Matlock
Sterling Holloway - Winnie the Pooh
Paul Winchell - Tigger
Tony Shalhoub - Monk
Kevin Conroy - Bruce Wayne/Batman - B:TAS
Mark Hamill - Luke Skywalker or The Joker in B:TAS

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I completely forgot, one of my favorites is Edward Norton, because of Fight Club.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I can understand the confusion. They both appeared in Roland Emmerich pictures, after all.  ;)

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Some of my favorites, with links to my ranking lists...

Nicolas Cage (Charlie Kaufman & Donald Kaufman, Adaptation)
John Cusack (Lloyd Dobler, Say Anything...
Johnny Depp (Edward D. Wood, Jr., Ed Wood)
John Goodman (Walter Sobchak, The Big Lebowski)
Philip Seymour Hoffman (Lancaster Dodd, The Master)
Bill Murray (Dr. Peter Venkman, Ghostbusters)
Gary Oldman (Norman Stansfield, Leon: The Professional)
Joe Pesci (Tommy DeVito, Goodfellas)
Joaquin Phoenix (Freddie Quell, The Master)
Tupac Shakur (Lucky, Poetic Justice)
Robin Williams (John Keating, Dead Poets Society)

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just realized I forgot to add Nic Cage to my list.

Damn me. Damn me all to hell.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I haven't seen any love here yet for some amazing British ladies: Cate Blanchet, Tilda Swinton, and Dame Judi Dench.  All phenomenal, and immediately class up anything they're in.

Hugo Weaving, Alan Tudyk, Oscar Isaac, and Peter Stormare are always amazing.  Tatiana Maslany, Lupita N'yongo, and Octavia Spencer can do anything, and I have recently become obsessed with Marion Cotillard. 

And it's always a joy to watch Ewan McGregor.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Removed Jennifer Lawrence from my list. She battled social anxiety growing up, which gave me a sense of kinship with her; it also coloured my perception of her acting abilities. I still think she's a good actress, but not that good.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Removed Millie Bobby Brown and Jaye Davidson from my list.

I've known for several years that Ra in Stargate was originally intended to be a fully human character, that the change to make him an alien was made in post-production following negative reactions during test screenings. I chalked this up to philistines being philistines and thought this had no bearing on Davidson as an actor. But in recent months, I've become more aware of what went down behind the scenes. Davidson apparently had a huge drug problem during this time, and he spent the entire shoot high as a kite. This is why his mannerisms and delivery in the film are so strange. The filmmakers came to believe Davidson had been miscast, so they changed Ra into an alien, pitching down his voice and giving him the glowing eyes to salvage his performance. I still like Davidson's performance, but if it's mostly the result of intoxication than talent, I don't feel I can consider him a favourite anymore.

Ms. Brown's not the first child actor to impress me. Dakota Fanning and Mark Rendall are two examples of actors I found exceptionally talented in their youth. Thing was I expected them to get even better as they grew into adulthood, but they never did. I've seen both actors in more recent roles as adults. They're both competent actors. But what was impressive coming from a kid isn't nearly so coming from an adult. I dunno, maybe Brown will be different; I won't know unless I watch more of her stuff in the years to come. Regardless, I'm not adding child actors to my list anymore.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^Pretty much agree on both points. It's amazing how good Tatum O'Neal is in Paper Moon for example, and then equally amazing how not so good she is in almost everything else. It's the rare kid actor who can continue growing and be impressive other than just as that particular kid. (Shout out Leo DiCaprio!)

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Willem Dafoe is a favorite of mine, with how expensive and unsettling he can be, along other factors. Of course my introduction to him was Spider-Man, though I also love him in Streets of Fire, and more recently, he's the best actor in Aquaman.

I love Liam Neeson in Darkman and Phantom Menace, though I honestly haven't seen anything else with him.

Michael B. Jordan is one of the only redeeming factors of the recent Fahrenheit 451 adaptation Not to mention his role in the Creed films, I'm really enjoying his acting so far.

Michael Shannon is another redeeming factor of Fahrenheit 451, and I can't think of a better actor for Beatty. He's pretty great in Shape of Water too. The only other film I've seen him in, Man of Steel, I personally don't like him as Zod.

Chris Evans is hot, though while I love the 2005 Fantastic Four, I kinda can't stand Johnny Storm. But Chris Evans in Scott Pilgrim is pretty great. Oh, and that America guy, I guess that's cool too.

But you can't have Lucas Lee without Jason Lee. Love him in My Name is Earl, love him in Skate 3, love him in We Bare Bears, and I probably haven't seen any of his best roles.

From one Lee to another, Christopher Lee. Rasputin and Dooku. Enough said. Again, probably haven't seen his best roles. Rest in peace...

I'm going to stop for now.
These are such random picks for my favorite actors. Let's add some more, off the top of my head:
-Dolph Lungren (Masters Of The Universe)
-Keanu Reeves (Matrix Revolutions)
-Doug Jones (John Dies At The End (a rare glimpse of his real face))
-Dennis Hopper (Blue Velvet)
-Reggie Bannister (Phantasm)
-Val Kilmer (Batman Forever)
-Peter Weller (Buckaroo Banzai)
-Jack Nicholson (Wolf)
-Robert Pattinson (Good Time)
-Vin Diesel (Pitch Black)
-Tom Hardy (Star Trek Nemesis)

Some actors that I've only seen in a couple roles that seem promising:
-Idris Elba (Sonic The Hedgehog 2)
-John Cena (The Suicide Squad)
-Luke Wilson (Bottle Rocket)