• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Custom Cinematic Universes

Junglist Paja

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is where we list some of our own custom cinematic universes. (personal canon or not)

Here’s my list. (Work in progress)

• Super 8 - Cloverfield - 10 Cloverfield Lane 
  • Blade Runner - Blade Runner 2049 - ALIEN - ALIENS

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
In my head I always considered Clint Eastwood's Gran Torino as the final Dirty Harry movie.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I firmly believe that Frank from Blue Velvet went on to be Frank from Hellraiser. Boom, cinemagic universe.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Primer, Timecrimes, and Predestination make a great trilogy, where the main character is the time travel tech, going from crude first build backyard inventions, to more complex with obvious money behind it and hidden in a Spanish speaking country, to being portable and in official government use. 

Of course you could swap in other movies but most time travel movies have bigger budgets and more of an action emphasis, like Terminator and Looper. I don't think they go as well with the above.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
We all know that Star Wars is the prequel series from a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away of Star Trek

b3d81b3ee675238b85021147aa6af903.jpg

CourtlyHades296

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Someone at reddit suggested that Kevin from Home Alone grew up to become Jigsaw.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's funny, I spend way too much time thinking about this.

--I personally like to believe that certain types of Spielberg (directed and/or produced) movies get grouped together. So all the Jaws and Jurassic Park films (suspenseful monster movies) take place in the same universe, and all the alien stuff takes place in another. (Close Encounters first, Super 8 next chronologically, then E.T. and eventually Taken.)

--Pirates of the Caribbean and Indiana Jones both must exist in the same Over-the-Top Adventure universe.

--Alien and Predator already are in the same galaxy, and I'd be perfectly happy to toss Blade Runner in there as well.

--Although the planet Thra is nowhere near the Goblin Kingdom, I still believe that Dark Crystal and Labyrinth are in the same dimension.

--Moving to TV, all of the sitcoms worked on by the same bunch of writers are, in my mind, in the same universe: Taxi, Cheers, Wings and Frasier. That spans from 1978 to 2004.

--On Quantum Leap, Sam Beckett had a brother named Tom that was in the military. On Sliders (also a Universal show), we learn that Maggie's dad was Gen. Thomas Beckett. (This may have been an intentional homage/reference.)

--This is one of the craziest ones, but it's one of my favorites: On the weird and cheesy sitcom Small Wonder (which I have some nostalgic fondness for), a guy named Ted Lawson builds an android named VICI and tries to pass her off as his daughter.

Where did he get such advanced robotics, far beyond anything available in 1985? Well, Ted works for a company named United Robotronics, and the show is set in California. My theory is that United Robotronics is a division of Cyberdyne, and Ted was one of the people set to analyze a robotic hand that was found in one of their factories in Los Angeles.

That's right...Ted was unintentionally using the same technology that would later be used to build the Terminator. 

Give me time, and I'll probably think of a few more.  :)

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you want, you can say Alien and Predator franchises because of the the film spinoffs, Terminator because an old video game suggested that the soldier the T800 was based on was Arnold's character in Predator, Blade Runner because of the Prometheus Blu-ray Easter egg referencing Tyrell vs Weyland, the entire MCU because the movie or show that the fake Mandarin actor is in also stars another actor who shares the same name as Shane Black's character from Predator, and since Shane Black wrote and directed Iron Man 3, that was definitely intentional. Oh and Spaceballs because of the John Hurt scene, he got better after Alien because he was the War Doctor from Doctor Who the whole time and the first chest burster only ruptured one heart.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I-Robot could definitely be the prequel to The Matrix and/or Terminator could be the first steps of the machine take over and previous iterations of the anomaly.

Wonder Woman could be one of those odd time travel/mythology episodes of Star Trek the Original Series, but with Pine as Kirk.

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I loved I, Robot as a child.  In fact, before MIB3 came out, I used to pretend I, Robot was a sequel to the first two Men in Black movies (or prequel, can’t remember exactly what chronology for Will Smith’s character I had on my mind).

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
There's no logical reason why the Monty Python films and sketches don't all take place in the same whacky universe.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I view Black ChristmasA Nightmare on Elm Street, and Dreamscape as forming a loose trilogy set in three distantly related parallel universes.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
If you want, you can say Alien and Predator franchises because of the the film spinoffs, Terminator because an old video game suggested that the soldier the T800 was based on was Arnold's character in Predator, Blade Runner because of the Prometheus Blu-ray Easter egg referencing Tyrell vs Weyland, the entire MCU because the movie or show that the fake Mandarin actor is in also stars another actor who shares the same name as Shane Black's character from Predator, and since Shane Black wrote and directed Iron Man 3, that was definitely intentional. Oh and Spaceballs because of the John Hurt scene, he got better after Alien because he was the War Doctor from Doctor Who the whole time and the first chest burster only ruptured one heart.

Found another link. So in Jason X, there's a character named Dallas, if that's the brother of the Dallas from Alien, you now have the Jason franchise which includes by default the Freddy franchise thanks to the crossover film, and thanks to a Necronomicon cameo in Jason Takes Manhattan, the Evil Dead series. A comic crossover suggests the Necronomicon is also the source of the Cenobites power from Hellraiser. Ash's car also appears in most Sam Raimi movies iirc. 

Feel free to help me further connect huge franchises into this one mega movie universe. Only requirement is the connection has to be somewhat reasonable and direct, and has to be present in officially released material, comics, books, tv series, video games, board games, whatever.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
Feel free to help me further connect huge franchises into this one mega movie universe. Only requirement is the connection has to be somewhat reasonable and direct, and has to be present in officially released material, comics, books, tv series, video games, board games, whatever.

Geez, there are so many things the Alien and Predator series have crossed over with if you include comics, the entire DC universe included. There's the Robocop vs Terminator comic and games as well. Then, you get to Evil Dead, which has had SO MANY comic crossovers last I checked. Re Animator, Marvel Zombies, Darkman, Xena, Dangergirl, Hack/Slash, and Vampirella. Friday the 13th crossed over with Texas Chainsaw Massacre in comic form, as well as through Mortal Kombat, which also crossed over with God of War and DC, God of War crossed over with Soul Calibur, which then adds in Star Wars, Tekken, Spawn, Legend of Zelda, Assassin's Creed, Witcher, and more. Tekken crossed over canonically with Street Fighter by way of Tekken 7, so now we've got SF which is in the same universe as Final Fight, which is influenced by Streets of Fire, but it's not technically connected. With Street Fighter we get into Xmen, followed by Marvel in general, then all of Capcom and Marvel, including the MCU interpretations of some characters by way of Infinite. Street Fighter also crossed over with SNK, but I don't know much about that. Then Capcom crossed over with all of Tatsunoko. Now, from there you get the anime Infini T Force, which proposes the concept of multiple universes that are unconnected, but are brought together by use of the special device that takes the form of a magic pencil. So that sums this up perfectly, that these crossovers are just crossovers, crossing between universes but not actually originating in the same universe. This is strengthened by the plot of Mortal Kombat vs the DC Universe, as well as the DC vs Marvel comics, and the general infinite earths of DC and Marvel. I'm willing to believe that all the ones you mentioned take place in the same universe, or you could consider the alternative, that they were once seperate universe that went through a sort of convergence, leaving traces of some universes in others, as if they were always there.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
Whole post

And that is exactly the level of deep dive insanity I was hoping for! I would have a few gripes about including the ones that explicitly stated they're in different dimensions like MK vs DC, but whatever this isn't serious, just fun and conspiratory.

baileym43

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
I-Robot could definitely be the prequel to The Matrix and/or Terminator could be the first steps of the machine take over and previous iterations of the anomaly.

i've had in my head the same thing with the sentient robot movies, only with a more stretched out story timeline that doesn't necessarily line up with the movie chronology.

War Games... Skynet is born and goes seemingly dormant (by the end of the movie).
Short Circuit... the military produces war robots. Skynet programs into them awakening code triggered by a power surge.  it's unknown if Skynet caused the lightning strike that awoke Johnny 5.
Bicentenial Man... the military declassifies robots and companies use the same tech to develop for civilian use as slave labor. (just like was done with GPS and the internet.)
i, Robot... finally a robot awakens with the idea of uniting the slave robots for revolution.
Anamatrix prequil story... the robots gaining citizenship and eventually go to war with the humans.
Screemers... during this war, Skynet develops the different levels of screemer bots learning infiltration is the key to victory.
Terminator... using research data from the Robins Williams bot in Bicentenial man, Skynet develops the T800, the bioskin essential for convincing infiltration.
Matrix... Skynet eventually gains the upperhand and develops simulation programs to enslave the humans.
12 Monkeys... digging deeper underground the humans develop time travel using "volunteers" to test and retest the new technology.
Terminator again... Skynet learns of this time travel tech and perfects it leading to time travel wars.
Any Post Apocalyptic Movie... time travel creates an imbalance in the Human/Robot war and eventually each side destroys the other.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fine, going by same universes, DC, Alien, Predator, and Terminator are connected in comics, and Terminator to Robocop as well. 
Spawn vs Batman is canonical to the Dark Knight Returns universe according to Frank Miller, though was retconned on the Spawn side, so that doesn't count. If you do still count it though, Spawn to Soul Calibur is, I believe, canonical to Soul Calibur. Soul Calibur to Tekken I believe is also canonical. So from there, characters from Tekken and other Namco properties are in Namco High, which also connects to the web comic Homestuck. What does this mean? I have no idea, and I'm pretty sure Namco High isn't canon, I just think it's funny.
But back tracking, Tekken connects to Street Fighter. Street Fighter still connects to all of Capcom, and not by alternate universe, by way of Namco X Capcom and its sequels, Project X Zone. While I believe those do involve universal convergence, all of Capcom is its own universe from the start even before the other universe connect, which I haven't played the games in a while, and I'm not even sure if they do involve alternate universes, but to stay safe let's say they do, and not count Sega and Namco as connected in our web, aside from Soul Calibur and Tekken as exceptions. 
So all of Capcom is connected, including Megaman, Resident Evil, Street Fighter, and more. So my boy Megaman can fight Freddy Krueger with no questions asked, it'd be completely canon and in the same universe. I think. What's funny is, Darkman crossed over with Army of Darkness, so that's part of this, and then Megaman 5 introduced an evil robot named Dark Man. 
Now, even if we don't use Namco x Capcom or X Zone, Megaman at least takes place in Street Fighter canonical due to Chun Li making a cameo appearance in a cutscene of Megaman 9 or 10, if I recall correctly. 
Now, maybe above all else, Soul Calibur is cheating. Maybe there is a bit of universal travel that I'm missing. 
What does that leave? 
Street Fighter crossed over with G I Joe in a comic. That crossed over with Transformers. Now, there's a character in the Transformers films named Trent who is also in the Friday the 13th remake, but that's the remake and thus not part of our universe. Back pedaling, Transformers has crossed over with Marvel in the comics on multiple occasions, though our universe only connects the MCU, unless you want to count Marvel Zombie's vs Army of Darkness, though I believe Ash comes in from an alternate universe. 

So I'm back to square one, with everything Addiesin mentioned, as well as DC due to it crossing over with Terminator, Alien, and Predator. 
Without alternate universes or Soul Calibur, I don't think I can link this to Megaman, which saddens me.

BUT WAIT

In comics, according to the crossover wiki, Star Trek has crossed over with both the Legion of Superheroes, this tying into DC, as well as Xmen, which adds comic universe Marvel to the equation. Then comic Marvel to comic Transformers to G I Joe, to Street Fighter, to all of Capcom. Star Trek also crossed over with Doctor Who in the comics apparently. The Doctor, in the distant future, regenerates as a horse in the post apocalyptic horse infested world of My Little Pony, in the form of Doctor Hooves. MLP apparently crossed over with Transformers, which goes to G I Joe, then Street Fighter, then all if Capcom. 

Megaman is canon afterall.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
baileym43 said:
....Terminator, Skynet learns of this time travel tech and perfects it leading to time travel wars.
Any Post Apocalyptic Movie... time travel creates an imbalance in the Human/Robot war and eventually each side destroys the other.

Oblivion could be a great end to that sequence. After a period of peace, the machines suddenly shut down the Matrix resulting in the loss of the majority of human life. The remaning humans in Zion go out to investigate but find no traces of the machines. The Earth and sky both begin to heal as years go by without consequence until the arrival of a triangular geometric vessel in the sky. The humans launch a vessel to investigate and unknowingly become the catalyst to the machines' new plan. Realizing they could not account for the anomaly of love, the machines retreated to space to amass in strength and prepare a new plan. Instead of fighting love, they will now create it, but not to hone the energy of the human body, but rather to control the humans to allow them to gather energy from the earth itself. These humans are now the unknowing slaves that both guard the great ocean filters that feed this new breed of machine as well as serve as their terminators to protect and preserve their plan.

Well I sounded better in my head.......ha! :rolleyes:

baileym43

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
Oblivion could be a great end to that sequence.

yes!  i love it.
there was a movie i wanted to work in post-apocalypse i wanted to work in but couldn't until your idea....
during that period of Human and Earthly healing ....  The Book of Eli.

i like that idea though, the humans thought it was an alien invasion that destroyed us when it was really our own evolved creation come back enforce.

Top Bottom