• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Spider-Man: Far From Home

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
asterixsmeagol said:
mnkykungfu said:
in Far From Home, their entire trip is the most ridiculous field trip normal high school students would never go on, and then continues to become more and more ridiculous.  There is 0 believability there.

How so? Minus the supervillain, I basically went on the same trip when I was in high school (although to a different set of countries).

Peter goes to the "Midtown School of Science and Technology", which is how they explain him having access to way better-funded science and tech labs than any New York public school.  He's on the Academic Team there.  What in god's name does a pan-European trip around art museums and famous architecture have to do with Science and Technology?!  How do public high school students afford a multi-week Euro-trip?!  Then when they consistently get re-routed to different countries and different hotels, everyone just rolls with it and thinks "Yeah, sure, this is normal when a tour has complaints!"...?  I mean, sorry, but that kind of logic only works in a goofball comedy where you're not supposed to think about it for more than 2 seconds.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well I went to public high school and went on a week long art history trip even though I wasn't taking any art history classes. We also ended up in a different hotel from the one we were supposed to be in in Athens because of some sort of issue at the hotel. It's been a while so I don't remember exactly what the problem was.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A guy has spider powers, and you're concerned about realism?
Just kidding. Obviously there's supposed to be realism to some degree.
But just saying, maybe Tony Stark or another rich guy in the MCU donated a ton of money to the public schools of the world?
Just kidding, rich people aren't that helpful, that'd be even more unrealistic.

But anyways.
I enjoy Homecoming quite a bit, but I'm really not a fan of Far From Home. I've watched it three times now, and I like it a lot more than my initial viewing, but I still don't love it by any means. I watched Spider-Man 3 a couple days ago, and I really took in just how much better it is than Far From Home. It's definitely my least favorite Spider-Man film, though I haven't seen Amazing Spider-Man 2 yet.

In the theater, I was disappointed immidiatly. I didn't watch the trailers or pay attention to anything, but I was told ahead of time that Sandman was in it. In the first couple of minutes, the earth elemental is there, and it's not Sandman. Then, the Marvel logo appeared with sad music, and I thought it was going to be a tribute to Stan Lee at the beginning, but then it was an Iron Man thing and it threw me off. The beginning school News thing I found extremely unfunny the first time. I don't mind it now, and I know that the beginning of the movie was disappointing because of my own preconceived notions. I think of it as a personal foreshadowing of things to come, because the film continued to be disappointing in various ways. It has a lot of good moments, but as a whole it's painful to watch. I don't care much for the villain, not to mention I didn't think his acting was very good.
Nick Fury's actions in the movie make no sense knowing the reveal in the end. The whole thing is a huge mess. I can't point to specific things that are done wrong, I just don't like it. I don't plan to watch it again. A fanedit may actually be cool tho.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
asterixsmeagol said:
Well I went to public high school and went on a week long art history trip even though I wasn't taking any art history classes. We also ended up in a different hotel from the one we were supposed to be in in Athens because of some sort of issue at the hotel. It's been a while so I don't remember exactly what the problem was.

Yeah, a week long art history trip is different than a multi-week, multi-country trip for the entire Academic Team that seems to not be based on educating them at all.  Then it is extended by a week, and their itinerary is changed to go to different countries (let's hope there are no visa issues for any of them!)  This may just all seem like not a big deal to people who haven't traveled much, but for me it was pretty ridiculous.

jrWHAG42 said:
 I watched Spider-Man 3 a couple days ago, and I really took in just how much better it is than Far From Home. It's definitely my least favorite Spider-Man film, though I haven't seen Amazing Spider-Man 2 yet.

The beginning school News thing I found extremely unfunny the first time.

I know that the beginning of the movie was disappointing because of my own preconceived notions.

Nick Fury's actions in the movie make no sense knowing the reveal in the end.

Spidey 3 was better!?  Ouch.  I haven't even been able to like any fanedits of that film.

I actually totally identified with the school morning announcements segment.  It was exactly like an updated version of the ones we did at my high school.  The way they played it so straight made it hysterical to me.

Yeah, I think our expectations can really affect our movie experiences.  That said, just looking at how the plot fits or doesn't is mostly an objective thing.  That's like, 50% of why I didn't like this film as much as the previous one.  (I still liked it a lot more than several of the other Spidey films though!)

As far as Nick Fury
I actually took it as Talos doing his best to carry on in Nick's shoes.  He's not quite as perceptive as Nick, and not quite as balls-to-the-wall.  It would be pretty hard to imagine Peter putting off the real Fury for several weeks, or the real Fury being duped by Mysterio.  The Nick Fury element came together pretty well for me once you know it's Talos.  The question now is: how long has it been Talos??

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
mnkykungfu said:
asterixsmeagol said:

Yeah, a week long art history trip is different than a multi-week, multi-country trip for the entire Academic Team that seems to not be based on educating them at all.  Then it is extended by a week, and their itinerary is changed to go to different countries (let's hope there are no visa issues for any of them!)  This may just all seem like not a big deal to people who haven't traveled much, but for me it was pretty ridiculous.

I'm sorry, but your claim that my real week-long, multi-country trip for a similarly-sized group of students where we went to a bunch of art museums and historical sites is different from Peter's two-week, multi-country trip for the Academic Team where they went on cultural tours and the opera doesn't make any sense. Sorry you didn't think the trip was reasonable, but I'm telling you that that sort of trip happens all the time.

Top Bottom