• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Spider-Man: Far From Home

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thecuddlyninja said:
If you have no idea who Mysterio is from the comics I would avoid reading the spoiler tags in this thread, though.

I've heard of him.

hqdefault.jpg

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

ChainsawAsh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Saw it last night. I loved it! I can't rank it with the other Spidey movies yet (recency bias), but Holland's Peter & Zendaya's MJ might have overtaken Garfield's Peter & Stone's Gwen as my favorite live-action Spidey relationship.

The first half of the movie drags a little, but the second half is pretty incredible. I'll admit to the bias of Mysterio being one of my favorite Spidey characters and that every movie announcement before now bummed me out when they didn't use Mysterio, but now I'm thankful because oh boy did they use Mysterio well!

Also, yay, we can finally get through 2 Spidey movies without an Osborn or Goblin in sight!

A little bummed that Keaton didn't pop back up, I thought I heard he'd have a cameo in this one. Maybe it was cut along with the restaurant scene from the trailers?

This one also easily has top-3 tier mid and after credits scenes! Mid-credits is 100% essential, end credits is well worth sitting through and puts yet another twist on the entire movie (though less essential).

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes, even though I wasn’t a fan of Homecoming, I loved this one. Everything about it was just... Wow! Way to make a sequel to an underwhelming first movie!

I can’t really decide whether this is better than The Amazing Spider-Man 2 or not -which I unironically love (yeah @"jrWHAG42" is not the only one with strange opinions)- but if we exclude that (because everyone else thinks it’s the worst anyway) I can safely say this is the best live-action Spider-Man film since Raimi’s Spider-Man 2 (which is still king IMO)

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A totally delightful flick; the MCU is now 23 for 23, a run of solid to great movies so astonishingly consistent that it barely gets commented on anymore. That one mid-credits moment caused immediate and hearty applause in my theater. My only criticism is the slam-band shooty-shooty stuff at the end dragged a bit, but even then there were so many great moments sprinkled here and there that kept the sequence afloat. I still feel a strong personal loyalty to ASM1, a wonderful moment of reprieve from the worst season of my life, but FFH definitely gives it a run for its money as my favorite Spidey flick to date. (Tobey who?) And the subtle nod to that first-season Agents of SHIELD storyline was icing on the cake!

Grade: A-

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
A totally delightful flick; the MCU is now 23 for 23, a run of solid to great movies so astonishingly consistent that it barely gets commented on anymore.

I find most of them pretty piss-poor or just "ok" personally.  I'm afraid to say their popularity baffles me.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
I find most of them pretty piss-poor or just "ok" personally.  I'm afraid to say their popularity baffles me.

Well, I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong, and who would that benefit? ;)

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Saw it. Loved it. This Spider-Man is rapidly becoming my favourite. Mysterio was also awesome. The actors did an amazing job.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This review (which contains some spoilers) hits the nail on the head, in my opinion.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
Gaith said:
A totally delightful flick; the MCU is now 23 for 23, a run of solid to great movies so astonishingly consistent that it barely gets commented on anymore.

You've mentioned this many times. It's fine for you to dislike things, it should be fine for others to like things without you chiming in with your "I think they suck" commentary.

Collipso

Reaction score
Trophy Points
i love it! well, okay, i don't love it, but i really really like it. i'll probably have to watch it again at some point in time to actually love it, like i had to with homecoming, but i enjoyed this a ton. the first half, like ChainsawAsh said, does drag a little, but it's overcompensated by a superb second half.

i loved mysterio, and actually thought they were going to take the alternate earth route with his character, because they really did convince me, and with the revelation taking so long to happen and all. great filmmaking! loved how they brought back characters from previous situations, it really helps humanize the MCU. it was perfect. mysterio and the mysterio team, 10/10.

J K SIMMONS IS... J JONAH JAMESON. FUCK YES.

i have to say though, the amazing spider man's series' romantic pair is still the best in any spiderman movie to date to me. but holland and zendaya give them a run for their money. and to think maguire and dunst used to be gold standard in my mind... how things change! 

i definitely recommend it to any spidey fans out there, even if you don't like the MCU. it does rely heavily on endgame, but you're living under a rock if you don't know what happened on that one.

ChainsawAsh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It helped that Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone were dating IRL while making those movies.

But yeah, I think Zendaya/Holland have them beaten for best on-screen Spidey romance now.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ChainsawAsh said:
It helped that Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone were dating IRL while making those movies.

That's no guarantor of onscreen chemistry, as lots of listicles have chronicled over the years. IMO, Stone is definitely a better actress than Dunst, and is better than what I've seen of Zendaya so far, and Garfield is definitely a better actor than Maguire, and likely better than Holland also, though Holland is so dang distractingly cute it's hard to tell. Also, I maintain that ASM1 Gwen is the most layered and believable heroine in any live-action Spidey movie thus far, so it's no surprise that I consider their romance the best - another point in ASM1's favor.

Holland and Zendaya are super-cute together, no complaints there, but apart from her odd persona, I don't feel that I know much about her MJ yet at all. I am glad to just now learn, however, that her MJ is not actually Mary-Jane Watson, because I'm all for mixing things up in these endless reboots, and not recycling names for brand-new, otherwise entirely different characters just because one can. (Yes, having her be named MJ rather obscures that, but, oh well.)

ChainsawAsh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Did you not see Homecoming? She's only referred to as Michelle throughout Homecoming until the end ("My friends call me MJ"), so it's been pretty clear that she isn't actually Mary-Jane Watson from the beginning.

Collipso

Reaction score
Trophy Points
in Homecoming she wasn't called MJ until the very last scene i think. but yeah, i agree with most of your post. :)

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I guess I'm the only one who liked this less than Homecoming?

I found it to be a lot broader, really leaning in to the goofy comic moments.  The plot of Homecoming seemed like a pretty organic unfolding of events that didn't mess with your suspension of disbelief.  For example

unlike previous movies, when Vulture hears about 2 coincidences with Peter/Spider-Man, he is immediately confident enough to pull a gun on him.  No "but he can't possibly be a kid!" or some other tired tropes

Whereas in Far From Home, their entire trip is the most ridiculous field trip normal high school students would never go on, and then continues to become more and more ridiculous.  There is 0 believability there.  Then the relationships are played for Rom-Com meet-cute sensibilities, and the villain's incredibly elaborate plan seems to hinge on 
a pretty paltry amount of bro-ing out with Peter.  Seriously, saying how idiotic you were after giving the glasses to a total stranger doesn't not change the idiotic writing.  Peter is supposed to be a smart, responsible dude who just gets caught in impossible situations.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the movie, but I thought the plotting and writing was much weaker than the previous film.  And also: Peter is suddenly head over heels for MJ?!  Since when?!  He barely knew who she was last movie!  What reason does he have for liking her, besides the name expectation?  If she's actually an important character and not just a figurehead for the male character to obsess over, how about showing the process that leads him to actually like her?  Make me believe.  It all just seemed pretty thin.  A popcorn flick, and not much else...

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
mnkykungfu said:
in Far From Home, their entire trip is the most ridiculous field trip normal high school students would never go on, and then continues to become more and more ridiculous.  There is 0 believability there.

How so? Minus the supervillain, I basically went on the same trip when I was in high school (although to a different set of countries).

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
mnkykungfu said:
So I guess I'm the only one who liked this less than Homecoming?
Nope, I really disliked the film too. Most of my problems stem from the fact it's a Spider-Man movie within a Marvel movie, whereas I just wanted a Spider-Man movie. It might be the thing that finally burnt me out with the MCU.

Homecoming touched on interesting themes of class conflict, whereas I couldn't really put my finger on what Far From Home was trying to say. WGPCGR I guess? But like, that's standard for Spidey so...

Vulture's motivation, while the same on the surface to Mysterio's, was so much better developed and sympathetic. If Mysterio didn't have cool visuals working for him, his character wouldn't be nearly as interesting.

Top Bottom