• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Wonder Woman 1918 (Fanfix)

Wonder Woman - Fan Fix name?

• DC Universe: Chapter 1 - Wonder Woman

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Wonder Woman: The New DC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The New DC: Wonder Woman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wonder Woman 1918

Votes: 38 86.4%
  • Something else

Votes: 4 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.

TinyBreadMouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
J0heGsv.jpg

Wonder Woman 1918

Brief Synopsis
Diana, Princess of the Amazons, is recruited by American Captain Steve Trevor to help save the world from the perils of the Great War.

Intention
My goal with this edit is to fix the film's pacing problems and to keep the film set entirely in 1918, removing the modern-day bookend framing device completely.

Complete Cutlist
[/] Some light color grading throughout
[+] Added fanedit warning
[+] Added Youtube RED style FE.org logo
[+] Added new WB and DC production logos ripped from the Batman v. Superman official trailer
[-] Removed Diana's intro monologue
[-] Removed everything up until Hippolyta begins reading Diana the story of the old Gods, which acts as the new opening
[-] Removed German soldier asking "Where did this fog come from?"
[-] Removed shot of German soldier looking back after encountering the glamour
[-] Removed Steve saying "wow" and a lot of staring
[-] Trimmed the lasso interrogation slightly and removed Steve's "It's Hot" remark
[-] Removed the girl tending to Diana saying "strange" in regards to Diana's wound healing so quickly
[-] Removed Diana making eye contact with the animal before she breaks into the armory
[-] Removed Hippolyta fearing that Ares will find Diana
[-] Trimmed some of the shots during Steve and Diana's conversation aboard the boat
[-] Removed the entire 'pleasure of the flesh' bit
[-] Removed Ludendorff shooting his own men
[-] Removed Doctor Poison's "To restore your strength" line, as it makes no sense
[+] Moved the scene of Doctor Poison testing the gas on the gasmask to this part of the film, giving us an extended look at our main villains and establishing their threat very early on
[-] Removed Diana looking confused in London, the remarks on hand-holding, and the 'we're not together' bit
[-] Removed the 'bad guy convention' line
[-] Removed "Is there anything else you wanna show me?"
[-] Since the second Doctor Poison scene is missing, the film just continues from the discussion with Patrick Morgan to the intelligence meeting
[-] Removed Diana and Steve kissing in the hotel
[-] Removed shot of Diana reaching for her sword
[+] Rearranged the set-up to the climax fight, I've strung together all of Diana's conversation with Ares so it goes straight from "I am not what you thought I was" to "I am not your enemy Diana"
[-] Removed "that is not the God-killer"
[+] Steve and Co.'s scenes are pushed back slightly
[-] Removed Ares explaining that Diana is the true God-killer, as it's abundantly clear by this point, now Diana lassos Ares after he claims "only a God can kill another God"
[-] Removed Ares stating he's not the God of War, but the God of Truth, as I dislike Ares' being able to cheat the lasso, and several other lines, now his speech goes "I am [telling the truth]. They start these wars on their own. When you first arrived, I was going to crush you.", now it's more clear that Ares is just trying to trick Diana
[-] Removed "My dear, I don't want to fight you, but if I must...", now Ares shocks Diana the moment she refuses his offer
[-] Removed "Good-bye brother", as the line is not at all earned
[+] Diana's closing narration now begins as she's walking up to the memorial wall to look at Steve's picture
[-] Removed the modern day ending and the shot of Diana soaring into the sky
[+] The film proper now ends on the shot of the photograph
[+] Added '1918' to the film's ending title card​

Cutlist Legend
[+] Additions/Movement
[-] Removals/Trims
[/] Technical Changes

Original runtime is 2hr 29m, my trimmed version's runtime clocks in at 2hr 9m, with a whopping 20 minutes cut out for a much tighter pace with a quicker set-up, less clunky exposition, more impactful antagonists, and a more streamlined finale. Additionally, Diana's characterization is tweaked to more closely resemble her depictions in WW84, BvS, and ZSJL.

This edit is the first in my New DCEU series, a fanediting project that aims to restructure the DCEU film franchise into something more cohesive. You can learn more about it HERE.​

Last edited:
My suggestion for subtitle would depend on your cutlist.

If your main goal is to make this fit better with the rest of the DCEU, you could use "First Superhero", "In The Beginning", "Before Them All". Marvel used "first" for Captain America 1, but Wonder Woman fights in the war before his. She can credibly be called the first superhero.

If you figure out how to give the movie a better finale without Professor Lupin (yes, please!), you could use "The Godless Edition".

For a more humorous subtitle, if you cut Steve's quips and change him into a serious character, you could call this the "Kirkless Edition".

Good luck shaping your edit! I look forward to see where you take this. :cool:

I just threw the poll together to give me ideas, I have no clue what I'll call it.

I am shortening Ares' presence in the final battle, but that's less to remove him and more to shift focus to Diana.

I do like The Godless Edition though, I'll chew on that for a bit.

Thanks!

A Wonder Woman fanfix? Awesome, since I got the film on Blu-ray for Christmas.

I just hope 1918 is an accurate enough of a title. I don't know what specific year the film takes place.

Why not 1914?

I am no expert on WWI, but some light googling shows the No Man's Land scene takes place in a fictional village in Belgium. That's the same location where the civilians are bombed by the Germans, which was a real thing that happened and was called the Rape of Belgium (wikipedia link, sfw but mature subject). It appears this event took place over August 1914, possibly dating the film.

Also, I can't remember the film details at the moment, but American involvement in the war began April 1916. In the plot, isn't Steve Trevor working with Brits because the Americans aren't fighting yet? Or are Americans involved?

addiesin said:
Why not 1914?

I am no expert on WWI, but some light googling shows the No Man's Land scene takes place in a fictional village in Belgium. That's the same location where the civilians are bombed by the Germans, which was a real thing that happened and was called the Rape of Belgium (wikipedia link, sfw but mature subject). It appears this event took place over August 1914, possibly dating the film.

Also, I can't remember the film details at the moment, but American involvement in the war began April 1916. In the plot, isn't Steve Trevor working with Brits because the Americans aren't fighting yet? Or are Americans involved?

That's more than enough evidence for me. Plus "Wonder Woman 1914" sounds better than "Wonder Woman 1918", to me at least. Thanks!

Gonna try and drop more videos than I did with the Man of Steel edit, mostly because I want feedback, and also because I'm sure it's interesting to someone. I'll have snippets every couple days.

Today, here is where the German's discover Themyscira's glamor, and where Diana wakes Steve up.

Password: wonderwoman

What I did: Removed German higher ups remarking on the fog outside of Themyscira, removed an extra 3 alternating cuts of the German guy being bewildered at the magic, removed Diana's intense stare where she goes back and forth on a curious expression and an amused expression, removed Steve proclaiming "wow" when he sees Diana, removed Diana giggling at him

Why did I remove this?: Other than it being unbearably cheesy, it's just pacing 101. German soldiers are advancing forward, we don't need an entire minute of them gawking (plus no one gave a command to stop advancing, so why does the ship just sit directly in the glamor? nitpick, sure, but valid). Furthermore, the line about "where'd the fog come from?" means nothing. We were not made aware of what the world outside looked like, so telling the audience that it turned foggy after not being foggy is just pointless. Wouldn't it be foggy anyways? If it were completely clear and calm, people wouldn't avoid it. It's just needless. And finally, I trimmed down on Diana and Steve's meeting for the same reasons, pacing. Steve saying "wow" is believable, I admit, but we just had a shot of Diana standing above him akin to Superman standing over flood victims. He's already seeing her as his guardian angel. And Diana giggling like a schoolgirl? We get an entire scene later on dedicated to her observing Steve in all of his male glory, so it's just a speedbump in pacing. And that later on scene is terrific, by the way.

addiesin said:
Why not 1914?

Just caught it, Steve says the war has been going on for 4 years. On top of that, official WB statements describe the movie as taking place "in the final days of WWI"

TinyBreadMouse said:
Just caught it, Steve says the war has been going on for 4 years. On top of that, official WB statements describe the movie as taking place "in the final days of WWI"

RG0BS1U.gif

TinyBreadMouse said:
What I did: Removed German higher ups remarking on the fog outside of Themyscira, removed an extra 3 alternating cuts of the German guy being bewildered at the magic, removed Diana's intense stare where she goes back and forth on a curious expression and an amused expression, removed Steve proclaiming "wow" when he sees Diana, removed Diana giggling at him

Why did I remove this?: Other than it being unbearably cheesy, it's just pacing 101. German soldiers are advancing forward, we don't need an entire minute of them gawking (plus no one gave a command to stop advancing, so why does the ship just sit directly in the glamor? nitpick, sure, but valid). Furthermore, the line about "where'd the fog come from?" means nothing. We were not made aware of what the world outside looked like, so telling the audience that it turned foggy after not being foggy is just pointless. Wouldn't it be foggy anyways? If it were completely clear and calm, people wouldn't avoid it. It's just needless. And finally, I trimmed down on Diana and Steve's meeting for the same reasons, pacing. Steve saying "wow" is believable, I admit, but we just had a shot of Diana standing above him akin to Superman standing over flood victims. He's already seeing her as his guardian angel. And Diana giggling like a schoolgirl? We get an entire scene later on dedicated to her observing Steve in all of his male glory, so it's just a speedbump in pacing. And that later on scene is terrific, by the way.

Not much help but just wanted to say I really liked what you did there.  Back when I was messing around with scenes from this movie I was struggling with how to cut the fat from Themyscira - because the movie definitely drags there - without losing plot points.  Didn't even realize how much screen time was wasted here.

Dr. Chim Richalds said:
Not much help but just wanted to say I really liked what you did there.  Back when I was messing around with scenes from this movie I was struggling with how to cut the fat from Themyscira - because the movie definitely drags there - without losing plot points.  Didn't even realize how much screen time was wasted here.

It over indulges. Themyscira is gorgeous, sure, but it hurts the film. And thank you.

In my opinion the war going on for a long time and being the final days of the war doesn't really help the film. Why? Because the whole film we follow Diana who believes Ares is behind everything and killing him will solve everything. At the end of the film she realizes that Ares isn't who she thought he was, seeing that it was mankind who wanted the war. Sure Ares showing up and telling Diana he's not really but kinda is behind the war doesn't help either, but I like how he turns out to be on the side we thought were "the good guys" when in reality they wanted the war to continue. In war there is no "good guy" or "bad guy", at least not in WWI. Everyone is equally at fault.

But then when Ares is destroyed, we see German soldiers and English soldiers stopping fighting and hugging each other. Immediately after, the war ends. That just destroyed everything you tried to convey, didn't it?!

Of course having the movie at the beginning of the war wouldn't make sense because everyone is saying it's an "endless war", "the war to end all wars", etc. But having it at the end of the war once again hurts the film. So perhaps a date of 1916-1917 would be best? Then the movie would end showing the war continuing for 1-2 more years, newspaper articles can be shown showing its progress, with maybe Diana's speech over it. Then we transition to the end of the war. All this implying mankind continued fighting for 1-2 more years.

That's a very good point you bring up about the muddled themes. I was also concerned about how it would appear. My edit doesn't end with Diana killing or even confronting Ares, though it does still show Diana among the crowd celebrating the end of the war, with no real indication of how much longer that scene comes after the rest of the movie (I'm tinkering with this)

If we aren't certain of the year, maybe this naming scheme just isn't meant to be. You might be better off thinking of a different title. That's just my suggestion, I don't know.

jrWHAG42 said:
If we aren't certain of the year, maybe this naming scheme just isn't meant to be. You might be better off thinking of a different title. That's just my suggestion, I don't know.

It's a valid point. I probably won't stick to the 1918 subtitle, but it helps me to have a working title of some kind. Titles aren't important, but until I've come up with something, it eats away at my brain.

We'll see when we see.

Wonder Woman: The Great War
Or
The Woman To End All Wars (that just sounds like an old B movie)
Or
Origins of a Wonder Woman
Or
Wonder Woman: The Beginning

Yeah, I've gone over all those as well. I've even thought of "Challenge of the Gods" as a cute homage to the storyline of the same name, but also an allusion the end of my edit.

Back
Top Bottom