• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

New Year's Movie Marathon 2018/19

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The past three years, I've begun my own tradition of marathoning a movie series on New Year's Eve. The first two years it was Star Wars, last year was a failure, I tried watching all of Tarintino's works, though only got three movies in before passing out during Kill Bill Volume 1.
I'm not sure what to do this time around. I was mainly considering going back to Star Wars and keeping it that way, though the thought just occurred to me that I could take suggestions. 

So please, suggest your favorite movie series or director's works for me to consider marathoning in a couple weeks. Three weeks? Hold on. Yeah, it's closer to three weeks than two weeks.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
'Lone Wolf and Cub' series, available from Criterion. Or the dubbed 'Shogun Assassin' series, edited from the same films.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you've never seen The Godfather trilogy, this is the perfect time to rectify that.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
If you've never seen The Godfather trilogy, this is the perfect time to rectify that.

They made a third one?

Omaru1982

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Female Prisoner #701.Scorpion

4 movies, and like lone wolf and cub - all of them a respectable 80-90 minutes long so should be able to get through them with relative ease.

One year  I just watched Laurel and hardy, both long features and their 20 minute shorts - figured it made sense because the next year was likely to be 'another fine mess' ;)

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
All of Orson Welles' movies, top to bottom :D .

Jokes aside, you could go with an X-Men marathon, with Back to the Future-The Terminator double marathon (just to make it longer) or go with good ol' Indiana Jones. 
You could even try and make yourself an essential Marvel Cinematic Universe list.  I just made this yesterday out of curiosity, to see what movies I could come up with:
1. Iron Man (2008)
2. Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
3. The Avengers (2012)
4. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
5. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
6. Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
7. Captain America: Civil War (2016)
8. Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)
9. Thor: Ragnarok (2018)
10. Black Panther (2018)
11. Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

Made this out of boredom.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Lone Wolf and Cub- Definitely an option.
Godfather Trilogy- Definitely an option
Zatoichi- Aren't there like, a million of those? I would, but when I marathon something, there's the compulsion to watch it ALL. And that's too much for one day. Though correct me if I'm wrong 

Female Prisoner #701 Scorpion - I will look into it

The Xmen series actually adds up to 23 hours, and that was a few years ago, now there are three more films to add to that. So an added double feature would not be needed. But even then, I want to spend less than 20 hours... And again, I wouldn't just watch a few of them, I would want to watch them all. Though maybe I could skip the solo Wolverine films and Deadpool .. 
Terminator series on its own is a maybe as well. 
MCU, I'm gonna have to say no. I'm slowly watching through then all with my sister, and thus don't want to watch any on my own anytime soon. 
But I appreciate all the help!

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Terry Gilliam's sci-fi films

or

Terry Gilliam's fantasy films

or

Mad Max Marathon

or

Video Game movies

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:

or

or

Mad Max Marathon

or

Video Game movies

I like your suggestions the most. I have been meaning to watch the Mad Max series for a while. As far as video game movies, I actually love a lot of them. I would have no problem binging either. I'm unfamiliar with Terry Gillian though to be honest, though upon looking him up as I'm typing this, I just realized that I'm actually super familiar with his works and I love him so much. Especially Time Bandits and The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus. 12 Monkeys, Fear and Loathing, and Brothers Grimm are all films I've been meaning to check out.

You know what, maybe I'll do multiple marathons throughout Christmas break, or just try to watch as many movies as possible.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This talk of marathons just reminded me of something Dennis DeYoung said when I saw him live. 
"This year, I did my first marathon. That's right, five seasons straight of Law and Order" (It might've been a different number or a different show, but still). There was more to it, but I forget. He was such a fun guy, I loved him so much. But I digress.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
addiesin said:

or

or

Mad Max Marathon

or

Video Game movies

I like your suggestions the most. I have been meaning to watch the Mad Max series for a while. As far as video game movies, I actually love a lot of them. I would have no problem binging either. I'm unfamiliar with Terry Gillian though to be honest, though upon looking him up as I'm typing this, I just realized that I'm actually super familiar with his works and I love him so much. Especially Time Bandits and The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus. 12 Monkeys, Fear and Loathing, and Brothers Grimm are all films I've been meaning to check out.

You know what, maybe I'll do multiple marathons throughout Christmas break, or just try to watch as many movies as possible.
For Gilliam Sci-fi I'd recommend (in this order) :
12 Monkeys
Brazil
Zero Theorem
(Mostly because I feel the three work as a reply this way, with the retro future of Brazil possibly being built over the ruined future of 12 Monkeys, and the future that mirrors our own present from Zero Theorem could be like convergent timelines, but I digress, that's Depp into fan theory territory)

or for fantasy (in this order) :

Brothers Grimm
Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
Adventures of Baron Munchausen
(Mostly because this way each movie will be better than the last)

Fear and Loathing isn't bad by any means, it's iconic, but it is an adaptation of a book and kind of its own thing, I don't usually associate it mentally with Gilliam's other work.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Someone made a video game movie worth watching?

More than one person made a video game movie worth watching?

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:

Who said that?

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As far as video game movies that I've seen, Postal is great, Street Fighter is fun, Mortal Kombat is fun and great, Mario is fun, Street Fighter Assassin's Fist is a licensed fan film that is legitimately great and not just good by my standards, Rampage is alright, and I think that's all the ones I've seen. Oh, I tried watching Silent Hill, but it was horrible. 
I've heard all of Uwe Boll's films are awful, but I think I'd have fun with them. The Resident Evil series is supposed to be good, I need to check them out. Assassin's Creed doesn't interest me, I might check out Hitman sometime, Tomb Raider doesn't interest me, Doom interests me, Ratchet and Clank doesn't interest me.
Honerable mention to the unofficial Megaman fan film of which I love.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
TVs Frink said:

Who said that?

You did!

Unless you meant as a so-bad-it's good kinda thing.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
addiesin said:
TVs Frink said:

Who said that?

You did!

Unless you meant as a so-bad-it's good kinda thing.

I never said they were worth watching! Just that one could theoretically choose to watch them.  :D

But yeah, definitely as a so-bad-it's-good thing. Double Dragon, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat 2, you could have a really long brain-melting riff session if you're willing to put yourself through that.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Speaking of So Bad It's Good, another idea is to binge the non Batman/Superman DC movies. Swamp Thing, Catwoman, Jonah Hex, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Steel, Supergirl, Constantine, V for Vendetta, Watchmen, Green Lantern, and maybe Wonderwoman and Suicide Squad.
Actually, maybe I should never consider this ever.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was definitively going to do another Star Wars marathon, but now I'll be with my father, and while he's the biggest Star Wars fan I know, he's seen them too recently and doesn't feel like marathoning them. So we're looking at more ideas now.
Ideas we proposed:
Stephen King adaptations
King and Romero Co productions
George Romero non zombie films
Stephen King non horror films
Rocky
Non numbered Star Wars films (Solo, Rogue One, Clone Wars, both Ewok films) 
Star Trek films
Alien

Now that I think about it, I should try convincing him to check out Smudger's Clone Wars series... 

But anyways, 
I'm still open for suggestions from anyone.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
For a while now I've had an idea in my head of doing a Hobbit 3-in-1 edit + Lord of the Rings extended edition marathon, with breakfast, second breakfast, elevenses, luncheon, afternoon tea, dinner and supper all planned out in advance. I'm sure there's a bunch of Middle Earth themed recipes that could be made for it.

Edit: Of course this exists.

Top Bottom