• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Blade Runner 2049: New Vangelis Cut:

MCP

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Blade Runner 2049: New Vangelis Cut:

Ok, so first off, I do have to say that I DO and DON'T recommend this edit, but hear me out.

The narrative is perfect. I'm a huge fan of BR2049 and love the theatrical release as it stands. I think the original release is still a 10/10, but there were a couple of very minor things left to be desired revolving around Wallace, which this edit does remove...to its benefit. When I heard the editor removed the Rachael scene, I thought for sure he was bonkers. However, having seen the edit he made to that scene, I can totally understand the choice. Does it change the scene, making it better? I don't know about that. I did feel like it lent more of an emotional impact on Deckard's part for sure. I also like the drastic removal of most of Wallace's scenes, but mostly because I just wasn't a huge fan of the floating eye bots and the birth of a replicate bits, which are gone in this edit. So yeah, as far as the narrative goes, I didn't notice much if anything cut besides the Wallace and Rachael bits. Narratively, it's perfect. (Not that the theatrical wasn't)

Now, as for the bigger change here: The soundtrack. This is where I don;t recommend this edit... I would say maybe half of it worked kinda mostly, while the other half felt out of place and some tracks felt too were familiar. Suffice to say, I wasn't a fan of the new Vangelis soundtrack. I think maybe the Vangelis should stay with the original Blade Runner where it felt appropriate. This movie is 30 years later, and should have a fitting soundtrack that feels new, not a throwback soundtrack. When I got this edit, I thought for sure that I would be enamored by a Vangelis soundtrack, but I just wasn't. It doesn't feel right to me.

Anyways, soundtrack aside, the editing is technically perfect from my perspective. I don't know what magic was used to replace the soundtrack, but it was mixed in there well. As for the narrative and editing, I found zero issues. Honestly, if I could have THIS edit with the ORIGINAL BR2049 soundtrack, that would be fantastic.

https://ifdb.fanedit.org/blade-runner-2049-new-vangelis-cut/discussions/10113/

Top Bottom