• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Help with some of the more technical aspects of fan editing

Ryantology

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As I get deeper into the fan editing world, I've run into a few hiccups that I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on.

1) My recent Dark Knight edit (Batman: The Man Who Laughs) was completed and rendered. However, the audio rendered in stereo as opposed to 5.1 audio. During editing I was tweaking the various channels to find the best solution for minimizing the background music from the source. Now I'm wondering if this would limit me from rendering in 5.1. Stereo isn't the end of the world for me but I know a lot of people on here enjoy edits with 5.1 audio and I'm just trying to give the people what they want.  :) I'm using Final Cut Pro.

2) Typically how large are your file sizes once you render? My edit is 2hr and 20min long and my file size was around 15GB. I compressed the file (mainly to put a copy on my phone) through Handbrake and that ended up at about 5GB. I guess I'm just curious as to what file sizes people share with others for their edits? Any help would be appreciated. I'm definitely feeling a little lost as far as the technical side of things at the moment.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It really depends on the source file. iTunes files are only at 6mbps so it's wise to encode at or near the same so you don't get a subpar looking edit. Blu ray rips are ~25-45gb in size so you can go quite a bit higher. I usually encode MP4's at either 6mbps for iTunes sourced edits or 10-15mbps for Blu Ray sourced edits. This results in a file size of around 5gb for the iTunes and 9-13gb for those edits made using a Blu Ray source. AAC and AC3 mixes seem to be around 300-500mb in size.

Ryantology

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
It really depends on the source file. iTunes files are only at 6mbps so it's wise to encode at or near the same so you don't get a subpar looking edit. Blu ray rips are ~25-45gb in size so you can go quite a bit higher. I usually encode MP4's at either 6mbps for iTunes sourced edits or 10-15mbps for Blu Ray sourced edits. This results in a file size of around 5gb for the iTunes and 9-13gb for those edits made using a Blu Ray source. AAC and AC3 mixes seem to be around 300-500mb in size.

Thanks! I'll probably stop compressing files other than to put them on my phone. That should help with the video quality. 5.1 will continue to elude me especially if I'm tinkering with which channels to use and which not to. Thank you so much for the response!

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I believe @DonKamillo found a fix using similar software.

DonKamillo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ryantology said:
DigModiFicaTion said:

Thanks! I'll probably stop compressing files other than to put them on my phone. That should help with the video quality. 5.1 will continue to elude me especially if I'm tinkering with which channels to use and which not to. Thank you so much for the response!

Yeah I had a similar problem with the audio being rendered in Stereo although the source was 5.1. I was using Adobe AfterFX (which does not support 5.1 audio rendering).

One solution would be to do the following:
  • Split the 5.1 audio into 6 mono files (one for each track).
  • Import the 6 mono channels instead of the 5.1 track.
  • Do your editing.
  • Export the edited video without audio.
  • Export the audio by rendering each edited audio channel one by one. You do this by muting the other five and rendering the remaining channel as a mono file.
  • You should end up with one video file and six mono audio files.
  • I used Adobe audition to mix those mono files back into a 5.1 track (Audacity should be able to do the same).
  • Finally you can mux your 5.1 audio and video track.

TerryLewis

Reaction score
Trophy Points
As I get deeper into the fan editing world, I've run into a few hiccups that I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on.

1) My recent Dark Knight edit (Batman: The Man Who Laughs) was completed and rendered. However, the audio rendered in stereo as opposed to 5.1 audio. During editing I was tweaking the various channels to find the best solution for minimizing the background music from the
 dissertation writing services source. Now I'm wondering if this would limit me from rendering in 5.1. Stereo isn't the end of the world for me but I know a lot of people on here enjoy edits with 5.1 audio and I'm just trying to give the people what they want.  Smile I'm using Final Cut Pro.

2) Typically how large are your file sizes once you render? My edit is 2hr and 20min long and my file size was around 15GB. I compressed the file (mainly to put a copy on my phone) through Handbrake and that ended up at about 5GB. I guess I'm just curious as to what file sizes people share with others for their edits? Any help would be appreciated. I'm definitely feeling a little lost as far as the technical side of things at the moment.

I've started using Adobe Premiere Pro after a similar issue. However, the audio hardware must fully comply with the ASIO specification (capable of 6-channel output and connected to the complete set of 5.1 surround speakers). Otherwise, Adobe Premiere Pro will down-mix the 5.1 channels to 2 channels.

Top Bottom