• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Best program for Mac OS High Sierra

Ryantology

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey guys,

I'm seriously having a hell of a time finding the program I need right now and wanted to reach out for some suggestions. Before now I've always just ripped movies from my bluray collection so that I could edit them. I tend to just buy digitally anymore thought which leaves me at a loss because I still want to be able to rip and edit videos from iTunes. I know that there are programs out there for this but I'm really having a hard time finding anything that will work with Mac OS High Sierra. Anyone have any suggestions? I'll be your best friend.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I use Tuneskit M4V Converter . I don't have a mac (nor ever planning on it :p ) but they do have a mac version as well.

I just wish iTunes movies were more than 6mbps...

Ryantology

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
I use Tuneskit M4V Converter . I don't have a mac (nor ever planning on it :p ) but they do have a mac version as well.

I just wish iTunes movies were more than 6mbps...

I’ll probably always have a Mac because I work for Apple. While I’m not required to have one, the discount certainly makes it worth it.  :D That and I’ve gotten really proficient in Final Cut.  I actually purchased TunesKit earlier tonight but it’s having issues running with my OS which is maddening because my OS has been out for over a year. Can’t a guy just rip The Meg for crying out loud! I really want to chop that one up. So yeah, getting kinda frustrated.

Ryantology

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
There's also DRM Removal from DVDFab

Thank you so much! I’m going to check that out and hope I can request a refund for TunesKit since it will be completely unable to assist me.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
You could go to the dark side by setting up a VM like VirtualBox with some free-to-use-from-Microsoft environments found here: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/ (they're meant for testing web apps and web sites in IE, but it's fully functional temporary Windows, basically on a 90 day trial period that you can re-up)

Then you could use any Windows app in addition to any Mac app. Windows tends to have more open source resources and tools, so if you're hitting a brick wall this may be a saner route.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
Then you could use any Windows app in addition to any Mac app. Windows tends to have more open source resources and tools, so if you're hitting a brick wall this may be a saner route.

I've only ever found one free DRM removal for itunes amd it is only compatible with am extremely old version and unable to handle HD movies. DRM removal tools are few and far between.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
addiesin said:

I've only ever found one free DRM removal for itunes amd it is only compatible with am extremely old version and unable to handle HD movies. DRM removal tools are few and far between.

Ah, I was misunderstanding the point. DRM removal, not ripping blu-rays. My bad.

Ryantology

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I’ve been doing research and it appears there really isn’t any DRM removal tools that work with the OS I’m on. Looks like I might have to try VMware even though I really wasn’t planning on it. I really appreciate you guys helping me though!

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ryantology said:
Hey guys,

I'm seriously having a hell of a time finding the program I need right now and wanted to reach out for some suggestions. Before now I've always just ripped movies from my bluray collection so that I could edit them. I tend to just buy digitally anymore thought which leaves me at a loss because I still want to be able to rip and edit videos from iTunes. I know that there are programs out there for this but I'm really having a hard time finding anything that will work with Mac OS High Sierra. Anyone have any suggestions? I'll be your best friend.

Whatever you do, do NOT update your OS to Mojave!!!!

It has rendered 90% of my legacy apps, including my Adobe Photoshop, Wordperfect and my good old FINAL CUT EXPRESS, completely useless.  Not to mention it has made my MAC slower than molasses.

Going out on Black Friday to see if what deal I can find for a PC... Alienware maybe... but after 30 years, I am through with Apple. :mad:

My point being, whatever software you decide upon, make sure to research if it will still work if you plan on ever updating your OS.

Ryantology

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Ryantology said:
Hey guys,

Whatever you do, do NOT update your OS to Mojave!!!!

It has rendered 90% of my legacy apps, including my Adobe Photoshop, Wordperfect and my good old FINAL CUT EXPRESS, completely useless.  Not to mention it has made my MAC slower than molasses.

Going out on Black Friday to see if what deal I can find for a PC... Alienware maybe... but after 30 years, I am through with Apple. :mad:

My point being, whatever software you decide upon, make sure to research if it will still work if you plan on ever updating your OS.

I understand. I usually keep myself an OS behind for about 6 or 7 months and that works. This is the time that I ran into a program that absolutely won’t work. They gave me a refund at least.

Dr. Chim Richalds

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I'm way behind the times on this... I didn't realize until I read this post that all the iTunes DRM removal programs had stopped working on Macs.

I'm even FURTHER behind the times in realizing that when you download iTunes movies now, they don't come with the .ite file (iTunes extras) anymore.  Meaning, even if you could strip DRM, you won't get the extras - which sometimes include deleted scenes and other extras exclusive to digital.

Point being: Anyone know how to capture iTunes extras these days? [Best I could come up with would be to actually record them off your television via DVD recorder with an Apple TV hooked up - but I'm sure the quality loss would be significant.]

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dr. Chim Richalds said:
Point being: Anyone know how to capture iTunes extras these days? [Best I could come up with would be to actually record them off your television via DVD recorder with an Apple TV hooked up - but I'm sure the quality loss would be significant.]

This would violate our rules.

Dr. Chim Richalds

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
Dr. Chim Richalds said:

This would violate our rules.
Noted!  Thank you for the heads up! Do any other digital services that anyone knows of have downloadable extras?

Top Bottom