• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

My Year with Godzilla

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Week 41: 'Space Amoeba' [1970]
Is Godzilla in it? No. Godzilla connection: Features kaijus Gezora, later of 'Godzilla: Final Wars' and Kamoebas, later of 'Godzilla: Tokyo SOS'.
Sub or Dub? Dub

Strange blue particles infest an unmanned rocket and crashland off a small island in the South Pacific. As fate would have it, the same island is the site of a new tourist destination. The particles begin to inhabit various marine life, causing them to mutate and grow in size. When a photographer, company reps and a competitor land on the island, they must try and survive the battle of the mutants.

Ishiro Honda went on a kaiju hiatus following this film, the first with special effects not overseen by Eiji Tsuburaya. Still, his legacy looms large over this film, as the costumes and effects are excellent. We have a squid, a crab and a turtle, as well as some cool island dwellings being destroyed. The animated tentacles don't hold up so well, but it's otherwise impressive work.

The story is basic and the acting is adequate, but I was less engrossed than I expected. With all the action taking place on a small island, it felt more like a Doug McClure-type film. I missed the larger scale urban destruction, I have to say. Still, I can't fault it for what it is, as it's well done.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
BONUS: 'The Host' [2006]
Is Godzilla in it? No. Godzilla connection: South Korean kaiju
Sub or Dub? Sub

The US military dump formaldehyde into the Han river, later causing a large and ferocious mutation. This giant amphibious fish begins eating and storing away the local population, while the government investigate claims of a resulting virus infecting those who cross its path and otherwise survive. The film follows the trials of a dysfunctional family as they try to evade the government and rescue their youngest relation.

This film was a pleasant surprise, expertly mixing various genres in its circuitous plot. 'The Host' is more of a family drama at heart than a full-on kaiju film, though it ably succeeds as one. The effects are superb. The CGI creature lollops and pivots with realistic weight and movement, interacting with backgrounds and actors seamlessly. Yet it is the plight of the family, notably Song Kang-ho as the adrift father, that holds the film together. He is pathetic yet poignant. You're not sure whether you want to shake him or hug him.

There are brief comic moments, which don't feel out of place, as the story evolves. The film touches on a number of different themes - the dehumanization of people, both by a scared populace and its government; the militarization and dominance of super powers over other nations. It's not always certain what target it is aiming for, as it sometimes uses a blunderbuss rather than a laser, but it's an enjoyable ride nonetheless. Even if you're no fan of monster-slash-horror films, and can't stand reading subtitles, you should check this out. It is that good.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Week 42: 'Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S.' [2003]
Is Godzilla in it?  Yes
Sub or Dub?  Sub

'Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S.' follows on from the previous year's (superior) 'Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla'. Here we have a badly damaged 'Mecha G' (as it is fondly called) and a MIA Godzilla. Thrown into the mix is Mothra and the obligatory twin fairies, who plead for the bones of Gojira - now the skeleton of Mecha G - to be tossed into the ocean. Remembering Mothra's previous destruction of Tokyo decades hence, the government is somewhat wary. When twin Mothra larvae hatch, the kaijus assemble for battle.

There are undoubtedly some nice touches to be found here, but overall this is a disappointing sequel. Hiroshi Koizumi reprises his role from the original 1961 'Mothra', and fans of the kaiju bug will probably enjoy this more than I did. The usual Mothra staples are on display - the fairies, the larvae, the song and the enveloping a monster in silk. (Tokyo Tower comes in for another beating, of course.) The effects, though, looked cheap, and the human story was dull. The inclusion of an obscure kaiju from 'Space Amoeba' - Kamoebas - was a brief highlight for me, but I have already forgotten most of this film. The post-credits sequence was intriguing though I don't believe it was ever capitalized upon. All-in-all, this should have been so much better.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
BONUS: 'Gamera the Brave' [2006]
Is Godzilla in it? No. Godzilla connection: Daiei's answer to Godzilla
Sub or Dub? Sub

Japan is free of monsters. It's been 33 years since Gamera blew himself up to destroy three Gyaos, and the government has decided to pull the plug on the Giant Monster Force. Bad timing, considering that ships are mysteriously disappearing in the Pacific. Meanwhile, a young boy, grieving the death of his mother in a car accident, befriends a baby turtle he names Toto. The turtle begins to grow at an alarming rate and exhibits magical powers. Is Toto really a new Gamera and, if so, can he defeat Zedus, the ship-destroying kaiju?

This 2006 reboot of the Gamera franchise is a gentler entry, following the Heisei trilogy of the late 90s. It's not as cheesy as the 60s/70s originals but is still mostly a kids film. Although the kaiju effects are very good - Zedus especially - the film is more about how a young boy learns to deal with grief with the help of his new turtle friend. In that sense, it reminded me of 'The Water Horse' which dealt with similar themes the following year. Ryo Tomioka is excellent as Toru, the young boy, and ably supports the whole film in a role that is never mawkish.

There are some impressive suits here, though Gamera is too 'cutesy' and never looks like he's a credible match for Zedus. The animatronics are also strong and CGI appears to have been used sparingly, which is just as well as it's not so great. The battle, when it comes, works well, and the maxim that Gamera is a friend to all children is flipped; here, it seems that all children are a friend to Gamera. There are a couple of brief blood-thirsty moments that might prove too strong for small children, but otherwise it's not a bad way to spend some time with your family.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Week 43: 'Godzilla: Final Wars' [2004]
Is Godzilla in it? Yes
Sub or Dub? Sub

But wait! Order now and we'll throw in this kitchen sink absolutely free!

In the future, mutants emerge and become a kind of Super Soldier Force. Giant monsters also emerge and start randomly destroying major cities around the world. Then the aliens turn up. And a planet is headed on a collision course with Earth. Boy, the world sure is a crazy place in the future. Who to trust? The unblinking aliens with rubber disguises, or Godzilla, known scourge of bridges and tall buildings everywhere? 

'Godzilla: Final Wars' may be the greatest Godzilla movie of them all. I don't think it is, but I could easily understand why someone would argue that. My counter-argument would be necessarily feeble. There is so much to digest here - so many monsters, so many callbacks to previous films, so much Matrix fanlove - that it almost seems impossible it's crammed into a 2 hour film. I'm not sure where to start...

Let's begin with the kaiju: Godzilla, Rodan, Anguirus, Zilla, King Caesar, Kamacuras, Kumonga, Manda, Ebirah, Gigan, Mothra, Minilla, Hedorah, 'Monster X'... not counting the stock footage kaiju too. Too many? You decide. Most get more than just a quick nod on screen, (though Zilla famously is dispatched swiftly - possibly the best sequence and throwaway line in the film). The suits look good, though the overall effects are a bit off - the mix of practical and CGI effects don't gel and it ends up looking a tad video-gamey.

Who is this film aimed at? Hardcore G-Fans would relish the myriad of references here (Gorath! Gotengo! Xilians!) but no doubt turn their noses up at the MTV-style edits, tone and slickness. Action fans would probably enjoy the flash-bang this film dishes out in spades but be lost with what is an -ahem - 'ambitious' plot. Still, if they liked 'The Matrix', they'd find enough eye-candy here too, as 'Final Wars' is heavily indebted to that franchise.

I cannot lie: I was entertained. (I watched it over two nights. This film is relentless and I can't take that level of stimulation in one go at my age.) Like 'Godzilla vs. Hedorah', I won't forget it, but I can't quite decide whether that's because it's awesome or awful. Maybe both, depending on your mood at the time. There have been several boring Godzilla films I know I'll never bother with again. 'Final Wars' is not in that category. I don't know how soon I'll rewatch it, but it's coming, you can count on that.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
BONUS: 'Big Man Japan' [2007]
Is Godzilla in it? No. Godzilla connection: Mockumentary kaiju film
Sub or Dub? Sub

This quirky mockumentary follows the mundane existence of Masaru Daisato, a man with an extraordinary hereditary condition - the ability to grow to giant size when zapped with electricity. He is employed by the Japanese government to battle various kaiju that randomly show up, the battles then televised for an increasingly disinterested audience. The film focuses more on his rather pathetic life - being fleeced by a sponsor-grabbing agent, having strained relations with an almost-ex-wife and his daughter - than the actual battles, we being as complicit in our indifference as the TV viewers.

It's an odd film with mostly gentle humour rather than big belly-laughs (no pun intended), although his encounter with the 'Stink Monster' is hilarious. The CGI for the monsters and for Big Man Japan himself looks too smooth, like a Wii game, but it fits the unreal aspect of the situation. The film takes an odd turn towards the end, and it will take another viewing for me to try and get what the director-writer-actor (Hitoshi Matsumoto in a triple role) was getting at. At nearly two hours, the joke wears thin but it's still worth your time.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
BONUS: 'Geharha: The Dark and Long-Haired Monster' [2009]
Is Godzilla in it? No. Godzilla connection: Homage to kaiju films
Sub or Dub: Sub

This short film must have been a labour of love for the filmmakers. It mixes the long-haired Japanese horror tradition with the kaiju genre, resulting in a pitch-perfect parody/homage to 70s era Godzilla flicks. They capture so much of the earnest silliness in those 20 minutes with easily identifiable tropes - the ultra-serious scientist, the plucky reporter, the obligatory Westerner and, best of all, the tacked-on eco message. Just when it seems to be over, the film turns up the craziness, adding another layer of 70s cheese. We're also treated to a preview of a sequel (either seriously considered or just another part of the joke, I'm not sure) which I would honestly stop everything and watch right now if it existed. If you have even a passing interest in the kaiju genre, you should check this out. It will give you a warm feeling and put a huge smile on your face.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

^ Dear god, it's beautiful.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Week 44: 'Godzilla 2000: Millennium' [1999]
Is Godzilla in it? Yes
Sub or Dub? Sub

Godzilla vs. The Flying Saucer

In yet another alternative universe, Godzilla is the sole rampaging monster, his movements being tracked by the small-time Godzilla Prediction Network. Meanwhile, the larger corporation - Crisis Control Intelligence - have discovered a mysterious rock deep on the ocean floor. As they try to recover this enigma, it takes off, revealing itself to be a UFO! When UFO and Godzilla meet, more science ensues.

'Godzilla 2000' was the first of the Millennium era, albeit a lacklustre beginning. There isn't anything majorly wrong with the film, but it's not particularly interesting either. The film suffers from early CGI not playing nice with the practical effects; the UFO, when it appears, looks like a metallic bicycle saddle. The suits and the miniatures come off far better, and indeed Godzilla has one of the best introductions in any of his films here - eye level with a lighthouse, boat in mouth.

The humans are fine, though the daughter skirts the edge of annoying on occasions. Honestly, this film is almost immediately forgettable. It doesn't offer anything new, Godzilla is absent for too long, and I just wasn't interested in him battling a CGI saddle, nor any of its [spoiler alert] iterations. Perhaps the shorter, less serious American cut is more entertaining, but I really can't be bothered to find out.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
BONUS: 'Death Kappa' [2010]
Is Godzilla in it? No. Godzilla connection: Features kaiju
Sub or Dub? Sub

There's a local bar called Wolski's that hands out bumper stickers stating 'I closed Wolski's' if you stay until they have to kick you out. If you've ever driven around Milwaukee, you've probably seen of few of them on the car in front. I feel that this film should do something similar if you manage to watch it until the end: 'I sat through the whole 90 minutes of Death Kappa'. Though this should be written on a $100 bill, not just a bumper sticker.

'Death Kappa' is a parody?homage? to old kaiju films. Maybe. Or maybe they just really didn't have any budget and it ended up looking like that so they just went with it. I suspect the latter. This is a really bad film. Really, really bad.

The story revolves around a Kappa, a frog/turtle/goblin kaiju who eats cucumbers. (This is based on real Japanese folklore, so I'll give them a pass here.) There's also some weird experiments, another giant kaiju, a failed pop singer and please don't ask me to recall anymore, I'm trying to erase it from my memory.

The Good: The battle between the kaijus was OK. The costumes are bad, the miniatures are bad, the effects are bad, but it was a tiny gold leaf on a turd.

The Bad: Everything else. At some point, I suspect the filmmakers thought they had a funny script, but they were sorely mistaken. The acting is atrocious. There's a hugely annoying song that gets played repeatedly (the kappa loves it, and dances). If this was a film made by High School students in their off-hours, I could be more forgiving. But it's not. This is a real film studio that put this out. They made a blu-ray. And I bought it! And watched all of it! Where's my $100?

I feel such intense dislike for this film that I'm not sure it can remain in my house. I don't wish to inflict in on anyone having an otherwise enjoyable shopping experience at Goodwill, so it may have to be burned. Trust me, I'm doing mankind a service.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
BONUS: 'Giant God Warrior Appears in Tokyo' [2012]
Is Godzilla in it? No. Godzilla connection: Features kaiju
Sub or Dub?  Sub

This 10 minute live action film, produced by Studio Ghibli, features some good-to-excellent merging of CGI with modern day Tokyo. The film is narrated as a flashback by an unseen young woman, inter-cut with the written dialogue of her similarly unseen brother. (This effect no doubt works better in the original Japanese rather than via subtitles.) The story relates the apocalypse, in all its fiery and incomprehensible glory. It is dark and depressing, viewed on an equally dark and depressing Halloween. It is well done, though I wouldn't say it is enjoyable.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Week 45: 'Godzilla vs. Megaguirus' [2000]
Is Godzilla in it? Yes.
Sub or Dub? Sub

Godzilla: Radioactive Mutant, Force of Nature, Pest Controller

Another Millennium movie, another Godzilla timeline. Here, Godzilla was not destroyed in 1954 but continued to wreak havoc upon Japan over the decades. Such was the devastation that Osaka became the new capital and nuclear energy was outlawed, lest it attract the giant lizard. In the meantime, a new form of energy is created, which leads to the invention of Dimension Tide, a mini portable black hole, designed to eliminate the Big G once and for all. However, a trial run inadvertently produces a mutant bug which multiplies and feeds the larger 'Queen' - the titular Megaguirus. Much fly-swatting ensues.

'Godzilla vs. Megaguirus' is a strange mix of old and new which just barely works. The blend of CGI and practical effects is a good example; when it's good (such as the scene of hundreds of bugs attacking Godzilla) it's very effective, but unfortunately there are more scenes that aren't. The climatic battle between the two kaiju is a camp retelling of any of the wrestling matches from the 70s. And yet there is also the gruesome deaths of a couple which could have come from a straight horror film. It leaves the impression that this film doesn't know what it wants to be.

The suits are good: Megaguirus is a cool-looking kaiju, though I wasn't so keen on the purply-pink tints on Godzilla's scales. Like the rest of the film, the miniatures can look great one minute and then cheap and ridiculous the next. The third act pours on the cheese in terms of action, acting and especially dialogue, but I was along for the ride by this stage. This film is unlikely to be in anyone's Top 5 Godzilla films, probably not even in the Top 10, but it has a certain charm, if you can get past its eclectic tone.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
BONUS: 'Kaiju Mono' [2016]
Sub or Dub? Sub

A giant beast emerges. A super serum turns a nerd into a muscle-bound giant pro wrestler. Silly but fun antics ensue.

'Kaiju Mono' pokes fun at the kaiju genre in a ridiculous yet charming way. Kaiju Mono looks like a Chinese dragon, with a purposely ill-fitting suit, and the miniatures are similarly basic. But this film isn't trying for realism, capturing the spirit of the genre instead. There are some genuine laugh out loud moments here, though I felt that I was missing a lot of the more culturally specific jokes. It seemed as though there were Japanese celebrities peppered throughout the film, mocking themselves, but these went whizzing over my head. No matter - I enjoyed it nonetheless. Yes, some of the targets are obvious (the protesters who immediately spring up in defence of the kaiju, for example) and the jokes telegraphed by a mile, but it was silly enough to keep me entertained. A few more jokes or a tighter runtime could have helped a saggy middle, though.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
BONUS: 'Negadon' [2005]
Is Godzilla in it? No. Godzilla connection: Showa era homage
Sub or Dub? Dub

This CGI short film sets out to capture the feel of the Showa era kaiju films and almost succeeds. The animation is excellent - in fact, too good to mimic the practical effects of the 60s - and the film overall is too dry and serious. It needs a healthy dose of camp, or at least some element of fun, to truly feel like a Ishiro Honda film, for example. A nice concept, but could have done with a lighter touch.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Week 46: 'Shin Godzilla' [2016]
Is Godzilla in it? Yes
Sub or Dub? Sub

In a formerly kaiju-less Japan, a beast rises from Tokyo Bay. The aquatic beast confounds the experts by swiftly mutating and rampaging on land. The government, scientists, private sector and foreign powers combine to try and stop the beast they named 'Godzilla'.

This was not the film I was expecting. The newest Toho reboot cherry-picks certain elements of the Gojira legend and places them inside a pseudo-documentary of a nation in crisis. 'Shin Godzilla' is a disaster movie first and foremost; the fact that the disaster relates to a giant sea beast is secondary.

This is a Godzilla we haven't seen before. He has been created by the reckless disposal of nuclear waste rather than the atomic bomb, and has alarmingly quick mutating abilities. When first seen, he is a floundering sea slug with googly eyes, and it takes another three mutations until a more recognisable shape emerges. Even so, this iteration can produce radioactive blasts from various parts of it body and has a creepy-looking tail.

If the original 'Gojira' from 1954 was an analogy of the horrors of the bomb, this Godzilla seems to be channeling more recent disasters - typhoons, nuclear plant meltdowns - and chaos management. It's not a bad idea, and it's an interesting way to convey it, but ultimately it doesn't 'feel' like a Godzilla film. Godzilla spends a large chunk of final act asleep while the humans bicker over the most effective and least destructive way to deal with him. Again, the film brings up some interesting points, especially regarding America's involvement and the morality of another nuclear strike over Japan. But it becomes like a thriller in which the murderer is less important than the procedures used to capture him.

The effects are excellent with nary a rubber suit in sight, which makes the use of the classic Godzilla roar and theme tune seem anachronistic. I watched the subtitled version, which may have been a mistake - there is a lot to read, this being a very talky film, not counting the on-screen name, occupation and location for seemingly every one of the 100s of characters and settings.

That being said, I still enjoyed it, and would probably enjoy it again (dubbed this time) now I know what to expect. It may not be your father's Godzilla, but it might actually have been your grandfather's.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
BONUS: 'Day of the Kaiju' [2014]
Is Godzilla in it? No. Godzilla connection: Features kaiju; Godzilla name-checked at the very beginning.
Sub or Dub? Sub

This 30 minute film is a perfect companion piece to 'Shin Godzilla', being concerned more with bureaucracy than the beast. A month after a purposefully-unnamed kaiju wreaks havoc in Japan, it washes up on the beach of a small town, assumed dead. The town grapples with how to deal with its unwanted resident, caught between its new-found notoriety, offers of extra money from the government and rivalries with other neighboring towns.

'Day of the Kaiju' is a slow-burn film with a small budget feel. The acting is good, especially the lead (Satoshi Iwago) who struggles most with the direction certain decisions are heading. The film builds to its inevitable climax (let down slightly by the effects here). It's well done overall, though especially recommended for those who enjoyed the red-tape aspect of 'Shin Godzilla'.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
BONUS: 'Colossal' [2016]

Anne Hathaway plays Gloria, an alcoholic young woman who returns to her small hometown after her boyfriend dumps her. As she reconnects with a childhood acquaintance, a giant monster appears in Korea. Slowly, Gloria begins to realise how closely these events are linked...

I can't remember the last time I was so blindsided by a film. I knew the basic premise of 'Colossal', and recall seeing a trailer a while back. Based on the preposterous scenario and the cast, I was expecting a comedy. I was wrong.

This film is not really about monsters - or, at least, not the giant rampaging kind, although they do exist in this movie. No, the monsters this film is interested in are addiction, jealousy and our own inner demons. Some of this is presented a tad clumsily and with heavy-hands, specifically Gloria's alcoholism, while others seem to spring from nowhere. 'Colossal' takes such a sudden and dark turn in the second act that it almost seems like a completely different film. Maybe that was the point, but I think some foreshadowing would have been better to alleviate the whiplash.

If you like Anne Hathaway, you'll probably find nothing wrong here; she plays an older version of her character in 'Rachel getting married'. I'm not a fan, but she didn't ruin the film for me. Jason Sudeikis stands out in a complicated role, and the minimal supporting cast do what the lead's friends do in these kind of movies, being both quirky and anonymous. The effects are quite good, the kaiju having interesting designs. The constant flashbacks that tease the origin of the kaiju neither explains nor adds much to the story, and the film begins to wander aimlessly towards the end. It's almost as if the writer-director had a handful of different endings in mind and chose the least bad. Even for a film that requires a huge dollop of suspension-of-disbelief, I found the ending ridiculous and unsatisfying.

With that said, I still enjoyed 'Colossal'. It has some interesting things to say about relationships, our expectations and desires, and our frustrations when those expectations aren't met. Not all of these hit their mark, and it thinks it's more profound than it is. But it's a different take on the kaiju genre and worth checking out all the same.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Week 47: 'Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters' [2017]
Is Godzilla in it? Yes.
Sub or Dub? Dub

In this Toho-produced animated film, Godzilla and his mates have royally screwed up 20th Century Earth. So much so, in fact, that its inhabitants up and leave, traversing space in search of a new home. When they decide to head back to Earth, they discover that it is 20,000 years later. And Godzilla is still King of the Monsters...

It's obvious a lot of effort went into this production, which makes me feel bad for stating that I did not enjoy it. The animation takes some getting used to - it's CGI that looks hand-drawn, with 2D graphics that look 3D. It's very stylized and can look amazing when it works, distracting when it doesn't. However, all visual pizzazz aside, it's just a tad boring.

The characters are ultra-serious and SHOUTY much of the time; even the inclusion of alien races - a throwback to an early Godzilla trope - doesn't add much. I nodded off several times, and later on stopped bothering to rewind, as it was clear I hadn't missed anything relevant in terms of plot. The 20,000-years-into-the-future element is intriguing, but so far (this being Part 1 of a trilogy) it didn't mean anything except for new mutations for our heroes to shoot at. (When a Godzilla turns up, it seems it's spent the past few thousand years at a gym - this thing is pumped up!)

It's disappointing as this could have been so much better. I'm hoping it improves somewhat over the next two installments, but my expectations are already in check.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
BONUS: 'Cloverfield' [2008]

The most beautiful 20-somethings in New York gather to wish Rob a 'Bon Voyage' as he is about to embark on a vice-presidency position in an unstated Japanese firm. In the midst of the celebrations, a giant monster attacks the city. Rob decides to lead a mission to rescue Beth, his friend-with-benefits, from mid-town Manhattan, all conveniently captured on film by his idiot buddy Hud.

This found-footage film suffers from the usual downfall of this genre - why on earth would you still keep filming when it's obvious you'd need the maximum amount of vision while this chaos is raging around you? Apart from the fact that this film portrays the cameraman as the dimmest bulb in the group, no explanation is given and so we go along for the shaky, motion-sickness-inducing ride.

The effects are very well done, and the mini-beasts that the main kaiju produces are a nice touch. Does it need stating that this film evokes memories of 9/11? Probably not. The dust covering the city's inhabitants are obvious enough.

The film does just enough before the mayhem starts to craft some backstory for the main participants, but not enough to warrant any sympathy for their plight. Perhaps the film realises somewhere in the third act that it's all too ridiculous, as they stumble from one fatally bad decision to another, adding extra cheese to the drama and dialogue. Still, overall it's well put together with some good set-pieces (the decapitated head of the Statue of Liberty is pretty iconic now) although, like me, you may find yourself rooting for the kaiju by the end.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
BONUS: '10 Cloverfield Lane' [2016]
Is Godzilla in it? No. Godzilla connection: Part of the 'Cloverfield' Universe

A young woman (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) leaves her boyfriend, gets involved in a car accident and winds up in the basement of a crazy survivalist (John Goodman). Along with one other inmate (John Gallagher Jr), she must decide whether to believe his ramblings about an apocalypse or try to escape.

I wasn't certain I was going to buy cuddly, jolly John Goodman as a man on the edge, but he surprised me; he plays stoically crazy pretty well. The fact that he is crazy isn't really in doubt, the only question being how crazy. Is the outside air truly contaminated? Are extraterrestrial forces really attacking Earth? Winstead is believable as she swings from humoring Goodman to beginning to trust him and back again.

The film doesn't really have much to play with - there are only 3 main characters in one cramped location - but it adequately conveys the confinement of the situation. The film goes for broke at the end, while I would have preferred a more ambiguous climax. Nevertheless, it's entertaining and worth a view, especially for Goodman's performance.

Top Bottom