• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

My Year with Godzilla

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
BONUS: 'King Kong' [1976]
Is Godzilla in it? No. Godzilla connection: See 'King Kong' [1933]

'King Kong' [1976] gets a bad rap. I can kind of see why. It's not a great film but I admit it wasn't the trainwreck I was expecting. The plot has been updated from the original, replacing a movie director looking for his next big hit with an oil executive looking for the next big well. It's an acceptable change, and Jeff Bridges as an anthropologist stowing away onboard is passable too. Jessica Lange's introduction, however, stretches credulity, having been found adrift on a raft after her yacht explodes offscreen.

Let's mention Lange here briefly. This was her first film and she looks lovely, wearing a wide array of ever-more revealing costumes. Her acting suffices though her character is a one-note annoying flibbertigibbet. Jeff Bridges, in contrast, should be in every bad-to-mediocre movie, as he manages to bring it up a notch and is hugely entertaining to watch. There are a number of recognisable character actors in supporting roles, but Charles Grodin didn't work for me. Admittedly the script had him go from oil exec to sideshow barker in an instant, but I just didn't buy it.

There are some scenes from the original that reappear here - the capture of our heroine by natives, shaking of the log bridge, and Kong toying with a train. When compared with Toho's monster suits, the effects are very good - Kong's face is expressive, and the giant hand gets a pass from me - and the sets are wonderful. But then, two minutes later, there would be an unconvincing soundstage scene, or a distracting composite effects shot poorly rendered. When it's good - especially on location - it's very good. But when it's not... well, see the giant snake scene and you'll know what I mean. 

The film is also too long at over 2 hours. Even with Lange's diminishing wardrobe, I had trouble staying awake. It's an interesting remake but, unlike the original, not one I can imagine re-watching.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Film #13 - Varan the Unbelievable

An accurate title. They didn't put way too much effort into the props and effects on this one.

2.5/5

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
BONUS: 'King Kong Lives' [1986]
Is Godzilla in it? No. Godzilla connection: See 'King Kong' [1933]

Director John Guillermin returns once again to the giant ape genre with a direct sequel to his 1976 disappointment 'King Kong'. Was he trying to make amends, perhaps? If so, he unfortunately failed.

The film begins with a helpful recap of the last few minutes of the 1976 original, where Kong is left for dead. Considering the title, it is no surprise to learn that the mammoth primate actually survived the fall from the WTC and has been kept in a life-supporting coma for the past 10 years. During this time, a massive artificial heart has been constructed and giant-ape heart surgeon (must have taken extra credits at college) Linda Hamilton is ready to perform the operation. Alas, Kong is short on blood and plasma now, and only a miracle, we are told, can allow the operation to go ahead.

Cue miracle. Mitch (Brian Kerwin), an Indiana Jones-type (yes, the film actually dubs him that) has coincidentally found another giant ape in Borneo. He quickly agrees to bring this female (Lady Kong. Not Queen Kong. I was disappointed.) to Atlanta so that a blood transfusion can be performed. Complications ensue when the Kongs meet, escape and... oh, why bother.

Why? Why does this film exist? Was there really a clamoring for a sequel? Nothing here adds to the original, lacklustre as it was. The effects haven't noticeably improved within the ten year gap, and the story is just dull. Thankfully there is less inter-species foreplay on display here, only to be replaced by equally bizarre sweet, sweet giant primate love. (Please tell me the scenes of the Kongs' romance are intended to be funny. They're not, but I couldn't stomach believing they were sincere.)

The happy Kong couple cavort through the Georgia backwaters for the latter half of the film. It's not an area I know, and I suspect the filmmakers didn't either, as many 'Deliverance'-style stereotypes appear (yes, the film makes that reference too). Halfwit locals are eaten or snapped in half (!) (OK, that was cool, I admit) whilst a deranged colonel (John Ashton) goes all Ahab over Kong (not referenced in the film. But it should have been). Luckily, Indiana Jones-type and Giant Ape Heart Surgeon join up to save the honeymooning apes (and yes, that's yet another direct reference from the film). Will they save them in time? Who cares?

'Son of Kong' played up the comic aspect as the direct sequel to 1933's 'King Kong' and it worked. Here, it doesn't. I can't think why you would want to seek this one out, but do so at your peril.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Garp said:
Why? Why does this film exist? 

If it's any consolation, your review provided me with much merriment. :D

BTW, I'm curious to know where this one sits on your list:

UnfortunateWellmadeAsianconstablebutterfly-size_restricted.gif

;)

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Never saw that before (not much of a Simpsons fan) but it was a pretty faithful parody.  :)

Week 14: 'Atragon' [1963]
Is Godzilla in it? No. Godzilla connection: Kaiju Manda reappears in both 'Destroy All Monsters' and 'Final Wars'. The supersub Gotengo also appears in the latter, as well as the TV show 'Godzilla Island'.
Sub or Dub? Sub

After the rollicking fun of 'King Kong vs. Godzilla', 'Atragon' can only be seen as a letdown. The plot is conversely both simplistic yet hard to follow at times. While the model work is good, 'Atragon' is ultimately forgettable.

The Mu Empire is on the rise. An Atlantis-like continent that was lost thousands of years ago to the Pacific Ocean, its inhabitants have been biding their time, creating a vast undersea kingdom and awaiting its chance to reconquer the world. Meanwhile, a former Japanese Captain who deserted during WW2 has secreted himself and his fleet on a hidden island, building a super submarine in his attempt to continue the war in favour of the Japanese Empire. A team consisting of his former Admiral, his daughter and the obligatory reporter and photographer seek out the lost Captain and try to persuade him to utlise the sub Atragon/Gotengo against the Mu.

There are some interesting ideas in 'Atragon' but unfortunately they are lost in the poor storytelling. The idea of a Japanese Captain still fighting the war nearly 20 years later is a good one, and has basis in fact, but there was so much else going on around it that I had trouble figuring out who was doing what and why. There are numerous well-known Toho faces here, but the stand-outs are Jun Tazaki and Ken Uehara as the Captain and Admiral, displaying their conflicting patriotic leanings. Tsuburaya's sea-bound models are much better than his land-based ones, I feel, and the scenes of Atragon/Gotengo are the highlights of this film. However, Manda as a sea serpent puppet is pretty bad, though thankfully is a small and unnecessary addition to the plot.

I was looking forward to 'Atragon' as the premise seemed different and interesting. However, less than 12 hours after watching it, I'm having difficulty remembering much about it. A wasted opportunity, overall.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
BONUS: 'Super Atragon' [1996]
Is Godzilla in it? No. Godzilla connection: Atragon/Gotengo/Ra supersub appears in 'Final Wars' and 'Godzilla Island'
Sub or Dub? Sub

Disclaimer: I'm no Anime connoisseur. I used to watch 'Battle of the Planets' as a kid, but that's about it. Therefore, I don't feel I'm adequately knowledgeable to review the stylistic aspects of 'Super Atragon' (though it looked well-drawn and -animated to me) but instead I'll focus on the story.

'Super Atragon' is a two part animated made-for-TV movie based on the 1963 film and the original book source material. I haven't read the book, but this film does a good job updating the original film, to an extent. Instead of the Mu Empire, it's the Subterraneans who are the bad guys, but their intent seems to be the same. There's also another presumed-dead Captain - with a son this time, not a daughter - and, of course, another underwater battleship, here named Ra, for some reason.

The first episode of the film sets up a number of different mysteries, which makes it hard to follow. The character Avatar is the most perplexing, for example. The second half ties up the loose ends, but uses multiple flashbacks to do so. It makes the whole experience frustrating and unnecessary. More explanation in part one on what was going on and why would have helped me to enjoy this film more, whilst still retaining some of the mysteries for part two. As it stands, I was largely befuddled throughout.

The battle scenes looked very good and the film ends with the possibility of a sequel, which has yet come to pass. This is a film that probably improves with a second viewing, having more information at the beginning, but I'm no hurry to prove that.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Film #14 - Atragon

At least they tried to do something kinda different. I don't quite know what the hell they did in this flick, but it sure wasn't the same old Monster vs. Monster schtick. There was something about a cult of lost cows or something, these weird people said Moo a whole lot and performed boring dance rituals. Then finally this sea dragon shows up and Atragon kills him. Atragon was a sci-fi submarine/spaceship... or something. The ships didn't look like dollar store toys this time around, so I can't be too critical of this ridiculous film that will be completely Atra-gone from my memory by tomorrow.

2.5/5

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Week 15: 'Frankenstein conquers the World' [1965]
Is Godzilla in it? No. Godzilla connection: Features Baragon, to appear next in 'Destroy All Monsters'.
Sub or Dub? Sub

This is a film that, on paper, shouldn't work. A giant Frankenstein's monster (AKA Frankenstein) versus a Japanese kaiju? An interesting cross-over concept that somehow doesn't require a too-stretched suspension of disbelief within the universe it creates. And yet some pacing issues stop it from being among the best non-Godzilla Toho films.

The film starts well. In fact, it has a great hook, both in story and style. The first scene plays out in a wordless pantomime, as Frankenstein's heart is captured by Nazis at the end of WW2, later to be turned over to the Japanese. Their scientists (Takashi Shimura appears here in a cameo) believe that Frankenstein's immortal properties will allow them to produce super soldiers, but their place and time in history stink. Their research lab is located in Hiroshima on August 6th 1945, and all are wiped out by the first atomic bomb in a scene that could have been tacky and tasteless but instead is handled note-perfectly.

In the present day, American Dr. Bowen (Nick Adams, in a larger role than 'Invasion of Astro-Monster') is treating radiation sickness victims, becoming intrigued by a feral boy who is being blamed locally for the slaughter of dogs, cats, rabbits and chickens. During their studies of the boy, he begins to grow to an enormous size, escapes, and is again blamed for more vicious crimes. But is he innocent, and thus is there another more menacing threat on the loose?

This film does so many things right. The in-universe continuity regarding Frankenstein's seeming invincibility (no matter what Universal threw at him, he always got back up for another sequel) works well here, and the idea that radiation from Hiroshima not only makes him grow but gives him the ability to regenerate fits within the kaiju mythology. Baragon, the actual culprit of the film's destruction, is fine, although how no one notices him throughout most of the film is a bit of a plot contrivance. Still, it adds a sense of mystery that other kaiju films lack.

The model work is excellent throughout, from the submarines to the earthquake that destroys the oil field. Frankenstein's make-up is lacklustre in comparison but does the job. Ultimately, though, I found the film dragged a little too much before the climatic battle between the giants. It's a niggling complaint, as in other respects I found this hugely enjoyable, but the pacing seemed too slow once Frankenstein escapes. (The severed hand that still has a mind of its own is cool to look at, but it seemed like a sub-plot that went nowhere.)

Still, it's a film that deserves a re-watch, and I have a feeling I would be more forgiving after seeing it again. There's very little to dislike about a film that pits a giant Frankenstein against a subterranean fire-breathing dinosaur after all.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
BONUS: 'Gamera, the Giant Monster' [1965]
Is Godzilla in it? No. Godzilla connection: Daiei's answer to Godzilla
Sub or Dub? Sub

Gamera. Friend to Children. Enemy to Air Traffic Controllers.

I was all prepared to mock this one. A Godzilla rip-off featuring a bipedal turtle with opposable thumbs who spins and flies like a flying saucer. Couldn't possibly be any good, right?

Gamera, you surprised me. Although it does 'borrow' liberally from Godzilla, it's entertaining enough to stand on its own two feet (flippers?). The film opens in the Arctic, where all good monsters dwell. An unexpected crash landing of an unknown country's nuclear bomb-laden jet plane causes a mushroom cloud to rouse the millennia-old turtle from its slumber. Gamera, as the locals know him, is a survivor of Atlantis and so naturally heads to Japan. It's a race against time, science and precocious children from then on.

There's nothing greatly unique about this film - well, I suppose a upright walking giant turtle with tusks who eats fire is pretty unique - but what it does it does well. The model work is not up to par with that of Toho's Tsuburaya, but it's not laughable. There are even some animation effects which hold up for the time. Gamera's suit works fine, though his face looks too paper-mache static for me. Like most giant monsters, Gamera dislikes lighthouses but loves power plants, and the old trick of stopping him with electricity power lines is employed with the usual miserable results.

Acting is adequate, with Eiji Funakoshi as the learned doctor probably coming off best, though the kid Toshio is largely annoying with his unhealthy turtle obsession. The American actors in the Japanese version I saw are appalling, though. I wouldn't be surprised if they just happened to be walking past the studio and were coaxed in at the last minute. Female characters in this film either don't exist or are given so little to do that they might as well be invisible.

Gamera is dispensed with in an interesting way, so much so that I want to watch the sequel to see how he manages to come back. Despite being decidedly Godzilla-lite, I think it's worth a look.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watched Frankenstein Conquers the World once fairly recently, the English dub. I really quite enjoyed it. 

Gamera was always up there with Rodan, I could never sit through it all. But I haven't tried since I was much younger.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've tried to watch Gamera a few times, never got thru it, but there was one on mst3k that was good fun, not sure if it was the first gamera movie or another but they end up going to another planet and there's a song that they keep singing and one of the robots voices gamera like he's a new york cabbie  :D

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rogue-theX said:
there's a song that they keep singing

I think this is from the American version. There's some music in a cool scene I forgot to mention in 'Gamera' where hip Japanese teens are too busy twisting to the latest hit to evacuate the building. I've heard about the song you mention, though, but not sure where it fits in to the original version.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Film 15 - Frankenstein Conquers the World

Frank was born in a Nazi lab, so naturally he's gonna try to conquer the world.

3/5

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Couldn't sleep last night so I tried to watch GODZILLA VS KING GHIDORAH (1991).... wow... what a bonkers movie lol.
This was the English dub version by Sony, so it is pretty hilarious.   The number of times they keeping using the word "dinosaur" would have made an excellent drinking game and probably would have made the movie make more sense. :p
If you removed Big G from the timeline, how come everyone remembers him and nothing has changed?  
Some decent model work and puppetry, though definitely not the series at its best... the actual 'dinosaur' was pretty awful I thought.  On the plus side, it did put me to sleep.  ;)

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Week 16: 'The War of the Gargantuas' [1966]
Is Godzilla in it? No. Godzilla connection: Loose sequel to 'Frankenstein conquers the world'. Also Gaira is name-checked in 'Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla' [2002]
Sub or Dub? Sub

Frankenstein returns! Sort of. This somewhat-sequel to 'Frankenstein conquers the World' is a lumbering effort that expands on its predecessor's idea that a monster can grow intact from mere body parts, thus showcasing two 'Frankensteins'/Gargantuas. However, beyond that interesting hook, the film is a slog.

Japan is rocked by the discovery that Frankenstein is not only still alive but is living in the sea and routinely eating people. Dr. Paul Stewart (Russ Tamblyn), who must have been working with the original monster off-screen in 'FCTW', defends the creature he knew, refusing to believe that their gentle giant is now an aquatic eating machine. Can he and his assistant (Kumi Mizuno) convince the military that there are two such monsters on the loose, and one of them is a force for good?

Despite the rather fuzzy nature of this sequel, the story is simple and not very interesting. Much of the film features the military chasing one or other or both of the creatures, attacking them, and the monster getting away. There is little in the way of human characterization, but maybe that's a blessing. I watched the original Japanese version, and even with Tamblyn's lines dubbed into Japanese, he seemed to have an attitude of sneering condescension.

The film starts well, with amazing model and puppetry work, with a giant octopus attack, but soon goes downhill. The Gargantuas don't look great, though the air and sea models fare better. Even so, they look like parents accidentally stepping on their kids toy cars in the night as they roam through the city later on in the film.

The highlight - as it is so bizarre - is the musical number sung in English, a horrendous yet catchy Burt Bacharach-like song called "The words get stuck in my throat". It's almost worth seeing this film just to hear it.

The film ends abruptly with a plot contrivance that I let pass as it meant I didn't have to watch any more of this.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
BONUS: 'Gamera vs Barugon' [1966]
Is Godzilla in it? No. Godzilla connection: Daiei's answer to Godzilla.
Sub or Dub? Sub

When last we saw our heroic turtle, he had been captured and sent off into space, heading for Mars. As luck would have it for Daiei Studios, he never made it that far and thus another kaiju franchise was born.

'Gamera vs Barugon' treads a different path from both its predecessor (which was a simple Godzilla copy) and from the children-friendly series it would become. Although there are some great monster-on-monster battles, Gamera plays second fiddle to Barugon, who likewise is sometimes secondary to the human characters. Three acquaintances join up to uncover a lost giant opal in New Guinea and claim their fortune. However, simple greed and an easy to spot twist ensure that things don't go quite according to plan.

Barugon is one of the crazier kaiju out there, with his extended tongue that shoots a freeze ray and a destructive rainbow that emanates from his back, making good use of the first color Gamera film. The model work is largely impressive, especially Gamera's unnecessary battering of a dam early on. Acting is also good, and the story drew me in. However, there is just not enough Gamera in this Gamera film, and it starts to sag towards the end before the revived turtle re-emerges. Overall, though, both of the first two Gamera films are worth a back-to-back marathon, I'd argue.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
BONUS: 'A*P*E' [1976] AKA 'Attack of the Giant Horny Gorilla' [1982]
Is Godzilla in it. No. Godzilla connection: South Korea's answer to King Kong, nemesis of Godzilla.

There are some films that fall into the category 'So bad they're good.' But there is a lesser known category that best surrounds this effort: 'So bad it has no redeeming qualities whatsoever.' I can't believe I sat through the whole 87 minutes of this trainwreck and that I'm wasting even more time writing about the fact.

'A*P*E' wastes no time setting up any kind of story, and wings it from then on. A giant ape has been captured and is on its way to DisneyWorld. If his captors had only been a little more accurate with the chloroform, he would have slept through the voyage for the next 5 days as prescribed and we would all have been better off. But no. He awakens, destroys the ship, wrestles a shark and makes landfall in South Korea.

The titular ape is 36' tall yet seemingly capable of amazing levels of stealth, as no one ever appears to notice him until he's towering over them. Maybe they're being polite, not wishing to stare at his appalling costume and mask. The film then halfheartedly sets up a 'plot', in which a film actress is snatched by you-know-who. I suppose it's meant to hearken to both the old and new versions of 'King Kong' (the director of the film-within-the-film is called 'Dino', played by the actual director of this film). Anyway, stuff happens after that. 

Let me publicly apologize to 'King Kong Lives' right here and now. Had I seen 'A*P*E' first, I would not have been so harsh. I'm sorry. You don't deserve better, because you're still rubbish, but you are better than this.

This film exists for two reasons only, as far as I can tell; to hoodwink customers into thinking they're shelling out cash for 'King Kong', released at the same time, and to show off 3D effects. I watched this in 2D, yet constantly had things thrust into my face - arrows, rocks, rifles, planks of wood, etc. There is no joy in it, I can tell you.

The acting is terrible, the direction is terrible, the dialogue is terrible, the effects are terrible. There is no reason to see this film. It is terrible. Gathering friends, alcohol and copious amounts of illicit drugs will not make this film enjoyable, I'm certain. This film has shortened my life and made me question myself in uncomfortable ways. Why do I deliberately make these kind of choices? Where did I go wrong?

I need to take some time off after subjecting myself to this film. 'A*P*E', you have taken a little piece of my soul.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, I don't think this was ever going to be as rewarding a trek as last year's Hitchcock binge.

All the same, don't give up. I enjoy reading your reviews too much. ;)

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Film 16 - The War of the Gargantuas

Bigfoot + Godzilla + King Kong + Frankenstein = a gargantuan mess.

1.5/5

Top Bottom