• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

My Year with Godzilla

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
BONUS: 'Them!' [1954]
Is Godzilla in it? No. Godzilla connection: Inspiration for 'Rodan'.

'Them!' is one of the earliest radioactive-giant-creature movies and arguably still one of the best. Nuclear testing in the deserts of New Mexico 9 years earlier has - naturally - turned a particularly vicious type of ant into giant sugar-obsessed beasts. Sgt. Ben Peterson (James Whitmore) investigates the mysterious deaths, disappearances and destruction left behind by the monster insects, ably assisted by an FBI Agent (James Arness) and a father-daughter scientific combo.

'Them!' is so much fun that it is easy to overlook its flaws. The film begins as a police procedural movie (Whitmore is excellent throughout), adding extra clues to slowly draw you in before the big reveal. The scene where the little girl rises up from her ambulance bed to the sound of the ants, unseen by either cop or doc, is wonderfully chilling. The ants themselves are fine for the time, more effective in the darkness of their nests than above ground, and there are enough light-hearted moments to ensure that the film doesn't take itself too seriously.

Edmund Gwenn as the elder scientist is a little too dotty for my tastes, though his confusion regarding radio communication in the helicopter made me chuckle. Also he seemed too old to be Joan Weldon's father, she of the impressive eyebrows. Being the fifties, her role is under-written and stereotypical - her introduction gives the viewer a long and lingering look at her legs. And child psychology has hopefully come a long way since evoking extra trauma on young girls to test a theory.

Regardless, it's still a terrific film, one I had great delight rewatching.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Week 6: 'Rodan' [1956]
Is Godzilla in it? No. Godzilla connection: Rodan would become a recurring character in the Godzilla franchise. Also, the Meganulon would reappear in 'Godzilla vs Megaguirus'.
Sub or Dub? Sub

When will we ever learn that nuclear testing is a) never a good thing because b) it directly leads to giant monsters? In 'Rodan', man's atomic folly has led to not one but two monstrous species - insect larvae and Pteranodons - both capable of menacing Japan and its inhabitants in different nasty ways.

Directed by 'Gojira's Ishiro Honda, 'Rodan' is lighter on subtext and characterization than its saurian cousin but meatier when it comes to death and destruction. It helps, surprisingly, that it's filmed in glorious colour, as the miniatures could well have looked even more toy-like. In fact, the city's destruction is extraordinarily detailed and the highlight of what I considered an otherwise mediocre film. 

The scenes of the insect larvae - Meganulon - at the beginning of the film are reminiscent of the ants in 'Them!', even down to the chirruping, and are more of a threat than the Rodans' supersonic flight. Yes, that's right - Rodans, plural. (I assume they are in a relationship, but I don't profess to be an expert on prehistoric relationships.)

There's a lot to like in this film, but I'm disappointed that I didn't like it more. The mining incidents at the beginning are great - a 'slow-burn' if you wish to be charitable or just 'slow' if you don't - and there are excellent matte shots and back projection throughout. The ending even manages to be poignant rather than gleefully triumphant - quite a challenge considering Honda is asking the audience to grieve over two men in rubber suits. However, the acting and the script are merely serviceable (I did like the fact that the blurred photo of Rodan matched perfectly with an illustration in a dinosaur book, though).

This is a great example of Eiji Tsuburaya's skills as a special effects director and is recommended mostly for that reason.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Film 6 - Rodan

This cheese was tasty.

3/5

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
When I was younger, I absolutely hated Rodan. I had it on dvd, and I forget why I even watched it more than once, I guess my sister liked it, but I couldn't stand it, it was soooo boring to my childish mind. I really should revisit it though.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Haha, that's enough convincing for me. I'll see if I can track it down tommorow.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Week 7: 'Mothra' [1961]
Is Godzilla in it? No. Godzilla connection: Mothra would become another major player in the Godzilla franchise.
Sub or Dub? Sub

About two-thirds of the way through watching 'Mothra' last night, it began to dawn on me the extent of the challenge I had set myself this year. Godzilla is undeniably cool, as are many of his colleagues and adversaries. But, boy, some of the films they appear in are decidedly mediocre.

With a title like 'Mothra', it would not be amiss of you to believe that you are about to see some giant moth action on screen. You do - I grant you that - but you have to wait nearly the entire film to get there. In her place (Mothra is female. This may be significant in later films. We shall see) we get a pseudo King Kong story, about the discovery of two miniature female twins on a purportedly deserted island who are snatched by an Evil Impresario and brought to the mainland to headline his show. Via telepathy, or a native incantation, or both, Mothra is awakened from her giant egg (hard shell and all) and, in larvae form, swims to the big city to save them. Destruction ensues en route.

Of all the Toho kaiju films I have seen so far, this one struck as the first to be aimed directly towards younger members of the audience. Unlike 'Rodan', there is no blood shown, as far as I recall, and the film includes elements that I imagine my younger self would have liked if I'd seen a dubbed version years before. A young boy takes on a heroic role, there is an obvious villain to boo, the journalist (Frankie Sakai) is both main character and comic relief (I found his slapstick antics annoying; I may have been more forgiving before I became so old and cynical) and there is a decidedly happy ending. Plus, the sets look really good, and the destruction by the Mothra-larvae is excellent.

Unfortunately, I just couldn't get into this one. I didn't care about the singing twins, and they were largely the focus of the film. Takashi Shimura pops up as a newspaper editor to lend some gravitas, just to remind me sadly of a better film of his I saw a few short weeks ago. The film is dated by the use of blackface for the island's natives, but can I just say again, the sets look really good. I loved the exotic flowers on the island and the miniatures sets outdo 'Rodan'. Like 'Rodan', Mothra the Moth causes devastation by the beating of her wings; even my younger self would have balked at that. I would always have preferred a good out-fashioned stomping.

As a Mothra origin story, it's obviously important, but as a film to go back to again and again... not for me, alas.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Film #7 - Mothra

This was funny as hell. I was amazed that they dubbed the dialogue in Engrish. "Ahh Mothwah is attack the city! Hewrp us prease!" I thought I was watching a South Park redub or something. It helps that I'm drunk, that's the best way to do these.

3/5

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I loved Mothra when I first watched it, but I suppose I was more of a child then, not to mention I fell asleep during it. I'll have to revisit.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm pretty sure Godzilla did not come about naturally. Is he not a being born of pollution and whatnot? He literally has radioactive breath, that's not natural. I can't say for sure about the others. Actually, as I'm typing this, I realize that Godzilla himself is not on the list, so nevermind. Even then though, I'm pretty sure Gigan is part synthetic machine.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
BONUS: 'Gorgo' [1961]
Is Godzilla in it? No. Godzilla connection: UK's answer to Godzilla

Pretty routine but nicely done monster movie from the UK, mixing elements of Godzilla with King Kong. Gorgo, a prehistoric sea monster, is unleashed by the sudden appearance of an erupting volcano off Ireland, of all places. It is swiftly captured and transported to London as the prize exhibit in a circus. Unfortunately, it turns out that Gorgo, the 65' giant, is actually baby Gorgo, and 200' mum is none too pleased at the separation. Off she goes to get him back. Stiff upper-lipped destruction ensues.

This was pretty entertaining and better than expected. The acting - Bill Travers and William Sylvester (Dr. Floyd from '2001') take the lead roles - is good and the underwater photography works well. A monster movie lives or dies by the effects, though, and here we have a mixed bag. Mother Gorgo lumbers through London like a drunken tourist, taking in (and destroying) well-known tourist sights - Tower Bridge, Big Ben and Piccadilly Circus. The destruction is not up to Toho Studios standards, but is close. The Gorgos themselves are OK, though the constantly snapping jaws make them less believable. The giant models of the creatures are excellent, though. 

The British extras prove to be just as adept at running from unseen menaces as their Japanese cousins (or Danish, when comparing 'Reptilicus') and get into the spirit with extreme relish. I wouldn't be surprised if some first aid was required.

I watched the VCI blu-ray and there is an interesting restoration video, showing how much effort was put into restoring the image. It still looks grainy as hell, but the colours are at least closer to nature.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Loving this thread!!!

I eagerly await your review of this classic....

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTItRfN-LO8[/video]

:p :D

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
BONUS: 'Gappa: The Triphibian Monster' [1967]
Is Godzilla in it? No. Godzilla connection: Quasi remake of 'Gorgo'
Sub or Dub? Sub

There is nothing particularly original in this film by Nikkatsu Studios, their only kaiju entry. The film borrows heavily from 'Gorgo', as well as the films that 'Gorgo' rips off too, but is nevertheless a pleasant albeit forgettable way to pass the time. We have another volcanic island, another hatched monster, another greedy businessman ready to exploit it on the mainland, and two angry parents intent on rampant destruction to track him down. There are more black-faced natives, whose exhortations are ignored, and a happy reunion too.

The Gappa family are giant aquatic reptilian birds, not unlike Rodan in design, and are OK. The miniatures are pretty good, from a former employee of Toho Studios, and rip off some 'Rodan' shots too, though any moving vehicles break the spell. The underground home of the Gappas is excellent, though. Scenes of a tsunami ripping through a town is also well done, but despite viewing this only last night, I can't recall anything else memorable about the film. It had a pretty catchy theme tune, though; that I do remember. Sounded like something Tarantino would purloin.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Week 8: 'Mothra vs. Godzilla' [1964]
Is Godzilla in it? Yes.
Sub or Dub? Sub

It was a dark and stormy night. A typhoon rips across Japan, laying waste to a coastline and summoning forth a mysterious giant egg. While greedy impresarios (are there any other kind in these movies?) quickly seek to exploit the new find, a more dangerous giant is lurking buried in the sand. When Godzilla finally awakens, our heroes rush to persuade Mothra's tiny fairies to have her defend them from the radioactive beast.

'Mothra vs, Godzilla' successfully continues the legend of Mothra, featuring the natives of Infant island and the two fairies, and weaves it into an entertaining Godzilla sequel, my favourite so far. So much effort appears to have been spent in making the film big, colourful, fun and - as far as a fantasy can be - realistic that it's easier to overlook some of its flaws. At the risk of sounding repetitive in these reviews, the effects are very well done - from the giant egg, to Godzilla himself, his dramatic entrance and the obligatory destruction that results. The script touches on the effects of nuclear testing again but has lighter moments - I enjoyed the egg-munching sidekick journalist especially.

Unfortunately, I'm still not a fan of the Peanuts, the twin singing fairies, and felt the film dragged whenever they were on screen. Plus they're creepy as hell. Whenever they look at each other silently, I'm reminded of the sisters from 'The Shining'. I just don't trust them.

Mothra's younglings manage to dispatch Godzilla in a rather comically bizarre manner (this after she drags the poor beast by his tail and showers him in her wing-dust) - and when will the humans learn that Godzilla can't be stopped by electrical wires, no matter the voltage? Move on from that idea. Seriously. Still, everything wraps up nicely within a tight 89 minutes, safe in the knowledge that all concerned will live to see another battle very soon.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Film #8 - Mothra vs. Godzilla

Those bugs kicked that lizard's ass!

3.5/5

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
BONUS: 'Daimajin' [1966]
Is Godzilla in it? No. Godzilla connection? Daiei Film's other giant threat
Sub or Dub? Sub

Daiei, better known for their 'Gamera' series, also made a trilogy of films concerning a large stone statue that comes to life to right wrongs. Set in Feudal Japan, the film opens to a coup, forcing the former lord's children to escape into exile within the scared mountain. Ten years pass, and the now-grown children seek revenge on the brutal overlords, summoning the great Daimajin to help.

The film succeeds more as a period film than a kaiju film; the sets, location filming and costumes are all excellent and help build a realistic world. The story isn't exactly complex and the acting can seem a tad hammy at times, but it's enough to draw you in. It takes a long time to reach the inevitable climax, that of the statue coming to life, and is almost too little too late. Recommended for the period setting, but otherwise an inessential addition to the daikaiju genre.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Week 9: 'Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster' [1964]
Is Godzilla in it? Yes.
Sub or Dub? Sub

Kaiju Assemble! A mysterious meteorite crash lands in - where else? - Japan, later revealed as - what else? - an egg, birthing the three-headed space monster, King Ghidorah. Meanwhile, an exotic princess is hypnotized en route to Japan, becoming the mouthpiece of a Venusian Prophet, warning the world of Ghidorah's destructive tendencies. Meanwhile, Godzilla resurfaces, as does Rodan, and Mothra is indirectly summoned via a where-are-they-now TV show... Will Godzilla & Rodan stop bickering long enough to join forces with Mother Mothra to defeat King Ghidorah? Have you ever seen a film before?

'Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster' is completely bonkers. As I was watching it last night, I couldn't decide whether it was brilliant or a total mess. It's certainly entertaining; I just don't know whether it's 'good'.

If more equals better to you, then you will undoubtedly enjoy what I shall term "G3HM". There are more monsters for a start, and hence more battles. Yet here is where I began to suspect I was watching the beginning of the end of the 'Gojira' Godzilla. Godzilla here is not a mindless force of nature with a brain probably the size of a walnut. The Godzilla in 'G3HM' is a petulant brat, squabbling with his sibling Rodan, 'laughing' at Rodan's comeuppances and having sulky "It's so unfair!" moments. Fortunately, Godzilla, Mothra & Rodan speak the same language, which can also fortunately be translated by the creepy fairies, who get to sing new songs and share more silent knowing glances. Instead of sending Godzilla & Rodan to their rooms to have a time-out, Mothra (in larvae form) decides to guilt-trip the pair into helping by going off to fight the new golden beast herself.

If sub-plots are your thing, 'G3HM' also has you covered. The now-zombie-like Princess is pursued by assassins, for reasons I didn't catch, but provides the film with human villains in case a three-headed golden space monster isn't enough for you. Takashi Shimura turns up again, this time as a psychiatrist who risks his license by suggesting that, yes, the extraordinarily beautiful Akiko Wakabayashi, probably is possessed by a Venusian and not insane at all.

'G3HM' is lots of fun and is best viewed with a heavy suspension of disbelief and an uncritical eye towards the absurdity of it all. I mourn the Godzilla of old, however. It seems we hardly knew you.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
BONUS: 'Return of Daimajin' [1966]
Is Godzilla in it? No. Godzilla connection: Sequel to Daiei Film's other giant threat
Sub or Dub? Sub

Did you see the original 'Daimajin' film? Congratulations - you've just seen 'Return of Daimajin' too. Daiei Films made a trilogy starring the same giant god within the same year - an impressive feat until you realise they probably made the same film three times (I have yet to see 'Daimajin Strikes Again' but I will take that bet).

The plot is virtually identical: warring clans, one oppresses the other, oppressed leader escapes, victorious clan attempts to destroy Daimajin, leader is captured, woman beseeches Daimajin to help, Daimajin awakens, swift righteous mayhem ensues. Rinse and repeat.

Again, the production values are high - the sets look great and the acting is slightly better. There is a wonderful 'Ten Commandments' moment as Daimajin parts the water in the lake as he emerges. Yet it all adds up to... nothing much. Daimajin gets slightly more screen time here but still takes almost the entire length of a film bearing his name before he does anything. It's frustrating as the premise and the look of the films are good. This could have been so much better.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Film #9 - Ghidorah, The Three Headed Monster

giphy.gif

This is exactly what I've been waiting to see, a bunch of raging monsters having an all-out knock-down battle for glory. My favorite Godzilla sequel so far.

3.5/5

Top Bottom