• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Audiobooks

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Anyone here like listening to audiobooks? They've quickly become my favourite method of absorbing books, especially while cycling.

I'm almost at the end of Volume 2 of [Caleb Williams](https://librivox.org/caleb-williams-by-william-godwin/) and have started listening to Orwell's [Homage to Catalonia](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAiQndiWMog) as well.

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes, to entertain the kids in the car. E.g. Star Wars, Harry Potter, several Disney movies that have audiobooks, Paddington.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I once listened to part of the audio book for Frankenstein, because I was halfway through the book and couldn't find the time to finish it, so I listened to it while I played a game. I want to start listening to audio books while I read, I feel it'll help me get through them quicker.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have to travel a lot due to work (car, not plane) and have been listening to audiobooks for years between home visits. Favourites include Star Wars novels, audio dramas and fan audio dramas, and Star Trek novels. I'm currently about half-way through the James Bond novels - Fleming and his successors, including film novelizations - and BBC Radio 4 audio dramas. My next big undertaking is the Dune saga, from 'Hunting Harkonnens' to "Sandworms of Dune'. Should take me about 9 months, I reckon.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I listen to a lot of audiobooks on my commute. A great place to find them is through your local library, especially if they partner with Overdrive, which has an audiobook app called Libby.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Are we allowed to talk about audio dramas here as well? I found an awesome fan made X-men audio drama a month or two ago, and binged the first season in a day. I plan on listening through season 2 once it's finished.

Also, along with the Frankenstein audio book, I have purchased a radio drama adaptation on CD from a thrift store. Coincidentally, that day I also bought some Ian Fleming Bond novels.

My library has a bunch of audio books, I should look through them next time I go.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
One of my favorites is Tim Pigott-Smith's reading of Bernard Cornwell's The Warlord Chronicles.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I got through the Hitchhiker's Guide with audiobooks. It was weird. The first book I listened to was read by Martin Freeman. The next four were by Douglas Adams. The final one (written by some other guy) was read by some other guy, and it only highlighted the different writing style and poor continuity in the final book. 

Got really heavy into audiobooks for a while, then the Big Finish Eighth Doctor stuff. Now I think I prefer audio dramas.

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've listened to multiple audiobooks to pass the time, mostly Star Wars and Harry Potter. Others include The Martian by Andy Weir, Mythos by Stephen Fry, and BBC Poirot's Finest Cases Audio Drama.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I find it incredibly hard to listen to audiobooks. Unless I close my eyes, sit perfectly still, and send the amount of time necessary concentrating on the words being spoken, it quickly and easily becomes background noise for me. Suffice to say, I much rather sit back and relax with a real book.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Duragizer said:
I find it incredibly hard to listen to audiobooks. Unless I close my eyes, sit perfectly still, and send the amount of time necessary concentrating on the words being spoken, it quickly and easily becomes background noise for me. Suffice to say, I much rather sit back and relax with a real book.

If you ever have a long commute or road trip, it's the best way to pass the time and keep calm while driving, in my opinion. Difficult to listen to at home when tv is an option. I think in some situations we're trained to tune out sounds that last longer than 20 minutes.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
If you ever have a long commute...

Duraguy's only commute is from his bedroom to the bathroom, which is also in his bedroom.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
I found an awesome fan made X-men audio drama a month or two ago, and binged the first season in a day.

What's it called?

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
addiesin said:
If you ever have a long commute...

Duraguy's only commute is from his bedroom to the bathroom, which is also in his bedroom.

Hey! That hasn't been true since 2006.

chyron8472

Reaction score
Trophy Points
My audiobook library is growing all the time. I'm constantly finding new audiobooks on Audible I want to listen to.

Currently standing at a little over 300 audiobooks on my media server.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
While cycling, I got good mileage (literally) from the World War Z audiobook.

Having gone from seeing the mediocre Brad Pitt to this audible odyssey was quite a spectacle. They got so many different actors to do all the parts, I know Mark Hammil was one of them but I couldn't for the life of me figure out which one.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zamros said:
While cycling, I got good mileage (literally) from the World War Z audiobook.

Having gone from seeing the mediocre Brad Pitt to this audible odyssey was quite a spectacle. They got so many different actors to do all the parts, I know Mark Hammil was one of them but I couldn't for the life of me figure out which one.

Oh my gosh, now I want to listen to this. I never thought about the potential of this as an audio book. I never finished the book unfortunately, I may end up listening to this instead.

Top Bottom