• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Wars Theory Vader Fan Film

I already responded to this, but my response has weirdly disappeared. Oh, well.

Yes, there are definitely some great fan films in that group, hbenthow! I haven't seen some of the others, so thanks for posting. Looks like I have some good viewing ahead of me. :)

hbenthow said:
Have you ever seen any of these other Star Wars fan films?
Thanks, that was a fun way to spend a Sunday morning!

Disney and Warner/Chappell have claimed the Youtube video of "Shards of the Past", and have monetized it with ads so that they received a profit.

Star Wars Theory seems very upset about it. Personally, I don't see the big deal. It seems to me that it's within their rights, and it's not as if they're taking the video down or sending him a cease and desist letter.

hbenthow said:
Disney and Warner/Chappell have claimed the Youtube video of "Shards of the Past", and have monetized it with ads so that they received a profit.

Star Wars Theory seems very upset about it. Personally, I don't see the big deal. It seems to me that it's within their rights, and it's not as if they're taking the video down or sending him a cease and desist letter.

I didn’t watch the video you posted but this below video shows they had a deal. I don’t know the details and of course Disney has the right to do this but if a deal was made then they gotta stick to it. This was intended as non-profit and they’re now making money off of someone else’s work. Shitty thing to do. I dunno.

hbenthow said:

[video]

He said in the video that he was fine with it legally and technically, but like Masirimso17 said he was upset they profited off his work (which is well within their rights but is such a crappy thing to do when a fan has spent about $100,000 on a passion project with no payment and they're still thinking of the money).

Like he said, the film on YouTube so far could have made enough to recoup the production cost and to Disney that would have been the same amount they would spend making a trailer. It just feels wrong. But this is a billion dollar corporation we're talking about so well, money is everything for them I guess.

Masirimso17 said:
I didn’t watch the video you posted but this below video shows they had a deal. I don’t know the details and of course Disney has the right to do this but if a deal was made then they gotta stick to it. This was intended as non-profit and they’re now making money off of someone else’s work. Shitty thing to do. I dunno.

I didn't watch the video you posted but a deal implies financial exchange. They seemed to have an agreement, and we got that information only from him, right? Did anyone at Disney confirm this? Disney is also very big, so one person "talking to Disney" doesn't necessarily mean everyone at Disney is aware of that person and their agreements. 

If he's even bringing up being compensated for a fan film, even as a hypothetical, kind of a dick move, IMO. One does not enter into a creative endeavor accidentally. He knew before he shot a single frame that he did not own the rights to the characters and setting. This reaction to a claim all seems like a lot of hooey to me. It just seems shady from the youtube channel's perspective IMO. Is it wrong that faneditors are not paid? IMO, absolutely not. We know what we're getting into before we start. Is it wrong for a movie studio to take down a fanedit that's been uploaded online? IMO, absolutely not. 

To me this looks like a guy with a youtube channel, he wants his channel to have subscribers and likes and views so his monetized videos can make money, so the quickest way he saw to increase those numbers is to make something for free that people see and think is maybe an official short or something. That can be damaging to the brand, for example when people notice the Empereror's new sneakers, considering the characters in this are still in new SW content that has aired recently and in more that has yet to air soon.

The lesson here is maybe it's not an easy meal ticket, or even necessarily worth it at all, to ride the coat tails of a famous franchise to indirectly make money/get popular whilst spending enough to pay for a house in full. If you have the money anyway, maybe try something original. Am I cynical/skeptical about this guy who made the short film? Absolutely.

Yeah, money is everything to them. That's why they're a company. People making fan films using other people's intellectual property have to accept the fact that they don't own the material and that they can't make a profit from it, even if that profit is only used to recoup the costs they had to make the unlicensed product.

addiesin said:
If he's even bringing up being compensated for a fan film, even as a hypothetical, kind of a dick move, IMO. One does not enter into a creative endeavor accidentally. He knew before he shot a single frame that he did not own the rights to the characters and setting. This reaction to a claim all seems like a lot of hooey to me. It just seems shady from the youtube channel's perspective IMO. Is it wrong that faneditors are not paid? IMO, absolutely not. We know what we're getting into before we start. Is it wrong for a movie studio to take down a fanedit that's been uploaded online? IMO, absolutely not. 

Yes. Thank you. This, so many times over. He's acting like he's being robbed, when he used someone else's IP, and he was never in any position to make money from it in the first place.

And he keeps blaming Disney, but Warner Music made the claim. And that's because he used the Imperial Theme (or something that sounded way too close to it), which is their right to claim as copyright holders.

And the fan film hasn't been taken down. It's still available to see right this very second. His channel hasn't been blocked. Warner Music has just claimed the right to one piece of music on it. (And from multiple sources I've read, since he didn't have ads on it in the first place, no one is making any money off of this anyway.)

TomH1138 said:
addiesin said:

Yes. Thank you. This, so many times over. He's acting like he's being robbed, when he used someone else's IP, and he was never in any position to make money from it in the first place.

And he keeps blaming Disney, but Warner Music made the claim. And that's because he used the Imperial Theme (or something that sounded way too close to it), which is their right to claim as copyright holders.

And the fan film hasn't been taken down. It's still available to see right this very second. His channel hasn't been blocked. Warner Music has just claimed the right to one piece of music on it. (And from multiple sources I've read, since he didn't have ads on it in the first place, no one is making any money off of this anyway.)

In that case, it sounds like this guy is just burning fanwork bridges with Disney for views. Classic 'no press is bad press' philosophy. I could be wrong, but even if I am that just means the bridge burning is still happening, but unintentionally. Good luck with permission for episode 2 after this, guy.

UPDATE: Lucasfilm stepped in and removed the claim.

Back
Top Bottom