• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Wars Theory Vader Fan Film

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Basically, there's a great youtuber called Star Wars Theory that's making a fan film about Vader set a few months after Revenge of the Sith, and I'd like to share it with you guys.

He's put in a lot of money hiring professional people and his time into this project, and the fan film is looking very good:

Here's his most recent video, although it has some pretty light spoilers:

He also has a really great composer on board:

He and his team are done with principal photography and is now in post production.

If you want to just see how good this guy is doing this fan film, here's his first sneak peek (is not the final product in any way though):

Since he's posted a lot of videos about this project I'm just gonna have a link to the whole playlist.

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That sounds awesome!  I will check the videos out once I get home!

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The day before my birthday!

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I made a fan poster for the fan film based on the TLJ teaser poster, what do you guys think?

vader.png

The images of Palpatine & Padme come from his official poster.

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I like the poster.  

Wow, Sidious is as close as it gets.  I wonder if the woman’s similarities to Padmé are due to a specific reason…  :rolleyes:

By the way, if this is only episode 1, do we know how many episodes the series will be?  It looks amazing.

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Canon Editor said:
I like the poster.  

Wow, Sidious is as close as it gets.  I wonder if the woman’s similarities to Padmé are due to a specific reason…  :rolleyes:

By the way, if this is only episode 1, do we know how many episodes the series will be?  It looks amazing.

Thanks. Yeah, I agree, the casting was great. He posted auditions on his YouTube channel then he looked at the comments to pick the final actors/actresses.

I'm not sure how many episodes he'll make, if I remember correctly, he said something about the future of the series being based on his funding.

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's the poster if anyone wants it:

eclgv_XIjsuwDaOGV327JTKqSeK3nVW0syPVhJBDHAXjVlujQ5bEMSowHVEeKWPITLM5HnL47s3W=s1024-nd

If anyone is living or coming to Los Angeles on the 20th, you can go to the premiere/showing at a theatre, info on his channel. Meanwhile, the rest of us have to wait another day.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A birthday present! I must watch when I get home.

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well that was awesome. Vader looks great, I always imagined him using the force to stop the blaster bolts like Kylo Ren, that was just so cool. Palpatine is a little weird/childish and the voice actor sounds a lot more like Yoda to me, but the rest was great. The VFX is just stellar. The film looks beautiful and professional, and I can't wait for the next episode.

Keep in mind this is only Episode 1 and it isn't really much. However, it was still a ton of fun. And also, I think we all know who the Jedi at the end was...

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I found this....interesting. While I respect the amazing abilities these creators have, It just feels off to me. The Emperor was really odd as you pointed out.
Seeing Vader hug Padme was super weird. Just reminded me of most everything I don't like about Star Wars, mostly being the prequels.

Though it's in 24 fps it doesn't really look or feel like a movie. It has that fan film look. Is it due to the lighting? I suppose I just don't know how the filming works and how films get that film look.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My main issue was the cinematography in the beginning  It felt like the camera was too close, and a bit shaky. Writing was good, though Vader and Palpatine's voices were off to me, Palpatine more so. I really enjoyed it over all though, and it would be cool if it could be incorporated into a fan edit.

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This going to sound really petty, but I hated the Emperor's shoes. He's wearing a pair of Payless loafers that you'd see in on any office worker in the world. There's a really obvious close-up at about 3:40. I never really thought about what shoes the Emperor wears, but it definitely wasn't that. Good fun, otherwise.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
My main issue was the cinematography in the beginning  It felt like the camera was too close, and a bit shaky. Writing was good, though Vader and Palpatine's voices were off to me, Palpatine more so. I really enjoyed it over all though, and it would be cool if it could be incorporated into a fan edit.

I don't know how many episodes they're planning, but my first thought is this stuff would work best with Rogue One, where Vader isn't really a character but shows up like twice. Vader already sounds different in that and they already have one Imperial leader who looks weird, why not two? Or maybe Solo, if there's any reason or later connection introduced, or if there's a shot that could replace the Maul cameo. Though I still think Snoke would be the smartest choice for a replacement there.

I only watched a little more than half of it. Once it was revealed what I was watching up to that point was a dream I lost interest, though the production quality improved after that point. For some reason dreams feel like a waste of time to me in films but if he were awake and having a vision, a la Luke in ESB training, without changing anything else about that scene, I personally would have felt it had more meaning or impact. Is that weird?

Has some cool visuals but I agree with Dig saying it has a fan film look. I think it's just cheap lighting and prosumer (nearly professional if you squint, but really consumer-grade) visual effects, mostly inserted in a 2d, flat way. Some if the effects are great but it's not consistent, like the little touches don't have much care. I'll rewatch the whole thing and collect my thoughts better.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Or maybe Solo, if there's any reason or later connection introduced, or if there's a shot that could replace the Maul cameo. Though I still think Snoke would be the smartest choice for a replacement there.

I think you just solved the issue of that scene for me. Care if I borrow and credit?

addiesin said:
I only watched a little more than half of it. Once it was revealed what I was watching up to that point was a dream I lost interest, though the production quality improved after that point. For some reason dreams feel like a waste of time to me in films but if he were awake and having a vision, a la Luke in ESB training, without changing anything else about that scene, I personally would have felt it had more meaning or impact. Is that weird?

Exactly my experience. I liked the challenge of the relationship that was forming against my current view of the two. Then, it dwelt in darkness and went away....

Has some cool visuals but I agree with Dig saying it has a fan film look. I think it's just cheap lighting and prosumer (nearly professional if you squint, but really consumer-grade) visual effects, mostly inserted in a 2d, flat way. Some if the effects are great but it's not consistent, like the little touches don't have much care. I'll rewatch the whole thing and collect my thoughts better.

I hope I didn't come across as upitty, I can't touch the ability of there VFX team. It's pretty impressive what hobbiests can achieve. I think it has promise to become something neat if it can evolve. Maybe the Odyssey team could combine efforts with them. They're presentation had a wider scope, imho, that this could benefit from.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
Or maybe Solo, if there's any reason or later connection introduced, or if there's a shot that could replace the Maul cameo. Though I still think Snoke would be the smartest choice for a replacement there.

I think you just solved the issue of that scene for me. Care if I borrow and credit?

Feel free to use it. Though I'm not sure from the part you quoted if you mean to use Vader, Emperor, or Snoke. I hope it's Snoke. That would be most interesting to me.

I hope I didn't come across as upitty, I can't touch the ability of there VFX team. It's pretty impressive what hobbiests can achieve.

Not uppity at all. And nor could I, but if this were presented to me without context I'd know it wasn't from an official Star Wars film. Unfortunately fan films based on existing film franchises (or franchises that have been adapted to film like books or comics or video games) are always going to be compared to the big budget "real deal" so as good as they sometimes may be they have to be viewed with the context that they're unofficial, which excuses most of the faults that money would have fixed. We are admittedly nearing the day when you won't be able to tell a difference, I think.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was looking forward to this, but as with many fan films, the script, dialogue, and acting seemed lacking to me. 

It feels awkward saying anything against fan films, since they invested tons of time and money for something that they'll never see a dime from. I appreciate the fact that it's a labor of love. Still, people are gushing about this film (it currently has a staggering 9.0 out of 10 from 809 viewers on IMDB--a higher rating than nearly any other piece of Star Wars media), which makes me feel like I have to point out that it doesn't quite live up to the hype.

If you loved the film, I don't want to burst your bubble. (I got into a disagreement over Solo this afternoon with my stepson, and I don't want to rain on anyone else's parade the way I felt mine got rained on.) But if your feelings are at least in the middle of the road, read on. 

First of all, since the first half is just a dream, it's a complete waste.

The second half is mostly Palpatine demanding that Vader turn against him and being mad when Vader doesn't. Huh? I know he wants Vader's dark side out in the forefront, but how does it help Palpatine to encourage Vader to try to kill him? Maybe he's just taunting Vader, or thinking he can cut Vader down quickly if he attacks and then get a new apprentice. But Palpatine just goes on and on about how disappointed he is that Vader isn't betraying him. Are we to take from this that the Emperor was deeply proud of Vader when he threw the Emperor down a shaft in RotJ? This clunky dialogue would have inspired hilarious memes if it was actually in the prequels.

Then we finally get to an actual plot point: There's a Jedi still alive that Vader has to kill, and he or she is on Naboo, forcing Vader to face his past. He arrives there, talks to a trooper, ignites his lightsaber...and that's it. We don't find out who the Jedi is, or anything. 2 minutes of plot stretched out to 20. And viewers have to pony up more cash if they want another 2 minutes worth of plot. That's just frustrating.

Despite my earlier comments, I'm actually nonetheless fond of fan films, particularly those set in the Star Wars universe. TROOPS and Pink Five were hilarious. Dark Redemption gave us Mara Jade in a rare on-screen appearance. Hoshino showed us a Jedi learning a valuable lesson about patience in training. TK-436 gave a surprisingly thought-provoking viewpoint of the war from the perspective of a stormtrooper. They all had great visuals as this one does, but they also had a good plot and left the viewer with something to think about afterwards. 

But in this case, I'm sorry to say, the Emperor (Palpatine) has no clothes.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
Despite my earlier comments, I'm actually nonetheless fond of fan films, particularly those set in the Star Wars universe. TROOPS and Pink Five were hilarious. Dark Redemption gave us Mara Jade in a rare on-screen appearance. Hoshino showed us a Jedi learning a valuable lesson about patience in training. TK-436 gave a surprisingly thought-provoking viewpoint of the war from the perspective of a stormtrooper. They all had great visuals as this one does, but they also had a good plot and left the viewer with something to think about afterwards.

Have you ever seen any of these other Star Wars fan films?

Top Bottom