If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

Some clips stutter after render, some don't - please help
(11-06-2018, 12:14 PM)bbshopplf Wrote: I'm trying to add the biggest file on the disc (40 GB). No other file even comes close. I'm looking in the "STREAM" folder, which is the only folder I've found with m2ts files.

Vegas loads the clip into the timeline, but it's only loading the six audio files.

When I ask it to "Match Project Properties to Media" and select the file, Vegas reports "This file has no video track."

I'm using Vegas 13 Pro, if it matters.

I appreciate the headsup about the other software. I've not heard of mp4box.

My roadblock has always been "how to get a bluray into a format Vegas will read". It's become a holy grail.

I'm not concerned about keeping the ultimate best quality, I really just want to get the video into a format Vegas won't poo poo.

When I use MediaInfo to analyze the m2ts file, it clearly shows the video track (AVC), several audio tracks, several subtitle tracks, etc.

Perhaps I'm importing into Vegas the wrong way?

Can you play the video file and make sure it looks good, like in VLC player or something?
(11-06-2018, 12:30 PM)thecuddlyninja Wrote:
(11-06-2018, 12:14 PM)bbshopplf Wrote: I'm trying to add the biggest file on the disc (40 GB). No other file even comes close. I'm looking in the "STREAM" folder, which is the only folder I've found with m2ts files.

Vegas loads the clip into the timeline, but it's only loading the six audio files.

When I ask it to "Match Project Properties to Media" and select the file, Vegas reports "This file has no video track."

I'm using Vegas 13 Pro, if it matters.

I appreciate the headsup about the other software. I've not heard of mp4box.

My roadblock has always been "how to get a bluray into a format Vegas will read". It's become a holy grail.

I'm not concerned about keeping the ultimate best quality, I really just want to get the video into a format Vegas won't poo poo.

When I use MediaInfo to analyze the m2ts file, it clearly shows the video track (AVC), several audio tracks, several subtitle tracks, etc.

Perhaps I'm importing into Vegas the wrong way?

Can you play the video file and make sure it looks good, like in VLC player or something?

Great question.

I played it in VLC, and while it plays fine, it's starting about 5 minutes into the film.

???

EDIT: It appears the film is split across multiple m2ts files, which I imagine messes with the headers. Vegas does not like this. Smile

So now I'm looking at some sort of m2ts file combiner?
Maybe there's a copy protection issue with the particular movie you're trying to use?

At this point, I would recommend trying a free trial of DVDFab. When MakeMKV doesn't work for me (which is rare but does happen) it doesn't warn me anything's wrong with the file, I just find out while trying to work with the video and realize something's wrong at that point. That happened to me with X-Men 3. In that case I ended up doing a new disc copy with DVDFab and it removed the copy protection, and the resulting file worked fine in Vegas/Premiere.

Cuddly, if this sounds incorrect please correct me.
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// IdeasIdea Central //
Addie,
I've never used DVDFab but if that process works, then for sure go for it. If it were me, I'd do what I know which might not be the easiest way. I'd make an MKV with MakeMKV, and use Mp4box to change the container. But if DVDFab is also free and easier, then great.

Either way, let us know how it goes, I'm sure we can figure this out and get you an editable file. I want to try loading an m2ts file from MakeMKV into Vegas as well just to check it out but I won't be able to for a few days.
Thank you all, so much, for the time/effort here.

It's always the video stream that Vegas doesn't like, and it's my understanding (from browsing forums like these) that it's Sony's concern about copy protection. If Vegas even suspects there's a copy protection concern, it rejects the file.

Cuddly - that said, I don't know that changing the container will matter, as it'll still be the same AVC video file.

To try it though, to which container do you recommend I use? MKV to what?

I'll also give the DVDFab a shot.
I would try DVDFab since that sounds like the simplest process. If that doesn't work, use MakeMKV to get an MKV file and MP4box to change it to an mp4 file, which Vegas should handle.
I think you'll still have to demux if you use DVDFab. I think MP4box can do that. If not, try the open source program TS Muxer. It can remove the container of MP4 or MKV without re-encoding to get you a workable TS or M2TS video file. 

I personally am not a big fan of DVDFab and usually use MakeMKV for ripping/disc copying. It's just when I run into a problem with that workflow (so far it's only happened once, and it's a copy protection issue) that I open DVDFab and try that way instead.
// IdeasIdea Central //
(11-06-2018, 02:11 PM)addiesin Wrote: I think you'll still have to demux if you use DVDFab. I think MP4box can do that. If not, try the open source program TS Muxer. It can remove the container of MP4 or MKV without re-encoding to get you a workable TS or M2TS video file. 

I personally am not a big fan of DVDFab and usually use MakeMKV for ripping/disc copying. It's just when I run into a problem with that workflow (so far it's only happened once, and it's a copy protection issue) that I open DVDFab and try that way instead.

It's a real testament to Sony's desire to curb this sort of thing - this is just impossible.

I did a fresh rip with MakeMKV (a rip of the files, not a "backup").

I used TSMuxer and converted it every way possible. Vegas refuses to load the video, regardless of method I use.

There's something about the AVC file that MakeMKV produces (presumably something about the copy protection), that Vegas identifies as "modified".

Unless I go the DVDFab route, I believe a re-encode is inevitable, and honestly I'm fine with that.

If that's the case, I'm back to re-encoding to something Vegas will accept, and I'm back to square one - my Avidemux solution produces a 100fps video (rendered for PSP), and while Vegas opens it without blinking, I get the seemingly random stuttering for some clips but not others.

I've also tried MKV Cleaver in the past, selecting a "Convert h.264 file to AVI" option, but Vegas hates that too, apparently because there's no audio.

#stuck

EDIT: Trying DVDFab today, to see if it produces an M2TS file Vegas won't snub.

EDIT2: DVDFab's M2TS file will not load video into Vegas either. Audio comes through fine; it plays fine in VLC. Vegas just won't accept it.

So I need to re-encode in a manner that masks/removes whatever data is tipping Vegas off to the fact this is a rip. What's special about the "PSP" thing that Vegas doesn't mind? Or, what would give me a truly "fresh" re-encode?
In another forum, someone pointed out "since Vegas opens the 'PSP file', why not let Vegas re-encode it to a standard MPEG-2, at 23.97, etc., and then work in Vegas with that file?"

So while the process is ridiculously cumbersome now, including two re-encodes, I'm still working with files staying around a 20 mb/s bitrate, knowing my final product will probably be around 8-10 mb/s (so how bad can the degradation be?)

I'll redo my edit today or this weekend, and post here how it went.

If anyone's curious about which movie is causing such challenges, it's a Revenge of the Sith edit, working with the bluray boxed set (the OT plus PT) put out several years ago. Having been over these forums so much, now, I see people refer to the challenges specifically with these SW blurays pretty consistently.
If you're not having success doing it any of the lossless ways, I would say it is MUCH better to have one re-encode than two. So if it must be done, generate an MKV with MakeMKV and then use Handbrake to encode to MP4 with the max quality setting. This is not ideal but I did this in my first three edits because I didn't know any better and I got nothing but compliments on the visual quality. I don't think I should recommend doing this but it beats the hell out of re-encoding twice.