If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

Some clips stutter after render, some don't - please help
Trying a very simple fanedit (a dozen or so cuts, no fancy transitions, no FX), but every time I render the movie, some clips stutter while others don't.

My process is to use MakeMKV to rip the BluRay. To get Vegas to read the video track, I use Avidemux to produce an AVC file, formatted for PSP.

I recently noticed the file output (using the preset for PSP) results in a 100 fps file. I don't understand enough to not use the preset, so, I'm limited here.

I'm rendering using Sony's AVC format, the BluRay preset, with the 23.97 fps setting.

What's causing the problem here? Is it frame rate?

I've been experimenting with moving my cut points just a frame or two in each direction, but I can't see a pattern of it effecting which clips stutter and which don't. Clips that I don't touch end up effected upon subsequent renders, sometimes.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?
(11-06-2018, 07:55 AM)bbshopplf Wrote: What's causing the problem here? Is it frame rate?

Yes

Also,

MKV's are incompatible with Vegas so creating an MKV file is just added time and requires a second process resulting in degredation.

You need to rip the file at its native fps (23.976) and then render at the same fps. The Sony AVC setting should suffice.

I find success using a free program called movierescue. It creates an m2ts file that can be dropped into Vegas. It doesn't work perfectly or every movie however. Star Wars movies in particular, or movies with branching(?)/alternate scenes such as X-MEN DoFP and That Thing You Do. DVDFab is probably your best choice, but will run around $50 or more I believe.

Oh, and welcome to the forum friend Smile
Since you already have MakeMKV just use that to create a Vegas-compliant file. Instead of using it to rip an mkv file which you then have to do a container switch to mp4, just click to 'make a copy' in MakeMKV. This will output an m2ts file instead of an mkv and you can edit it in Vegas. 

You never want the frame rate to be anything other than what it originally is in the file or you will get stuttering, blending, all types of issues. You can't change it and change it back because once extra frames are generated you will get the stuttering effect. Just generate an m2ts file with MakeMKV and when you drop it into Vegas say "yes" to matching project settings to that video file.

(11-06-2018, 08:08 AM)DigModiFicaTion Wrote: MKV's are incompatible with Vegas so creating an MKV file is just added time and requires a second process resulting in degredation.

MKV and MP4 are just containers for your H264 file. There are programs which will switch containers losslessly, without degradation. Most "conversions" are indeed lossy re-encodes though, you are correct but you can find programs that simply switch the container losslessly. I used them in the past before realizing that MakeMKV could just give me an m2ts file in the first place!
(11-06-2018, 08:52 AM)thecuddlyninja Wrote: Since you already have MakeMKV just use that to create a Vegas-compliant file. Instead of using it to rip an mkv file which you then have to do a container switch to mp4, just click to 'make a copy' in MakeMKV. This will output an m2ts file instead of an mkv and you can edit it in Vegas.

That is my choice of software and editing format as well. Never heard of AVC before.
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// IdeasIdea Central //
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
(11-06-2018, 08:52 AM)thecuddlyninja Wrote: Instead of using it to rip an mkv file which you then have to do a container switch to mp4, just click to 'make a copy' in MakeMKV. This will output an m2ts file instead of an mkv and you can edit it in Vegas. 

I used them in the past before realizing that MakeMKV could just give me an m2ts file in the first place!

Brain expanded. Thanks Cuddly! Smile

*EDIT*
I can't find this magic "make a copy" button/option. Can you share a screenshot?
(11-06-2018, 08:08 AM)DigModiFicaTion Wrote:
(11-06-2018, 07:55 AM)bbshopplf Wrote: What's causing the problem here? Is it frame rate?

Yes

Also,

MKV's are incompatible with Vegas so creating an MKV file is just added time and requires a second process resulting in degredation.

You need to rip the file at its native fps (23.976) and then render at the same fps. The Sony AVC setting should suffice.

I find success using a free program called movierescue. It creates an m2ts file that can be dropped into Vegas. It doesn't work perfectly or every movie however. Star Wars movies in particular, or movies with branching(?)/alternate scenes such as X-MEN DoFP and That Thing You Do. DVDFab is probably your best choice, but will run around $50 or more I believe.

Oh, and welcome to the forum friend Smile

Thanks so much for the welcome!

Of course it is indeed a SW film in question here, so that may not help.

I need to learn more about the below reply, though, re: MakeMKV.

Thanks again.
(11-06-2018, 09:13 AM)addiesin Wrote:
(11-06-2018, 08:52 AM)thecuddlyninja Wrote: Since you already have MakeMKV just use that to create a Vegas-compliant file. Instead of using it to rip an mkv file which you then have to do a container switch to mp4, just click to 'make a copy' in MakeMKV. This will output an m2ts file instead of an mkv and you can edit it in Vegas.

That is my choice of software and editing format as well. Never heard of AVC before.

This is blowing my mind as well.

So I did the "Make Backup" (to the other poster, you have to -not- click the icon of the disc to open it. Allow MakeMKV to scan the disc, but then instead of opening the disc, in the icons above you can click "Make Backup". This generates the m2ts files.

Cuddly - however, I'm trying to open the main m2ts file in Vegas, and it's only opening the audio files. It's telling me "This file has no video".

Am I doing something wrong?

EDIT: I just realized I selected the "Decrypt video files" option before making the backup. I'm going to run it again, without checking that box, to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks so much for this help.
I just backed up the bluray with MakeMKV to create the m2ts files, without checking the "Decrypt" option, but now Vegas won't open them at all.

So I'm stuck with decrypted m2ts files however Vegas won't recognize a video stream.

Thoughts?
It'll make a bunch of m2ts files, one for every video clip on the disc (the menu, trailers, extras, etc, etc). You just need to find the biggest one, that'll be the actual movie. Did you do that and try loading that file in Vegas? A lot of the other m2ts files generated probably won't work.

EDIT: If you already have the MKV you made earlier, you can use a combination of mp4box and mkvtoolnix to losslessly switch containers. Both are really helpful tools in general, if you want to add multiple audio streams to video or whatever. So to add a commentary track to your fanedit or something like that. I also use them often because I take commentary tracks that I have on DVD and add them to a bluray rip of a movie (maddeningly sometimes you don't get all the DVD features on the bluray version). Anyway, I digress. We should figure out how to get the m2ts file working but it's good to know about these tools regardless.
(11-06-2018, 11:47 AM)thecuddlyninja Wrote: It'll make a bunch of m2ts files, one for every video clip on the disc (the menu, trailers, extras, etc, etc). You just need to find the biggest one, that'll be the actual movie. Did you do that and try loading that file in Vegas? A lot of the other m2ts files generated probably won't work.

EDIT: If you already have the MKV you made earlier, you can use a combination of mp4box and mkvtoolnix to losslessly switch containers. Both are really helpful tools in general, if you want to add multiple audio streams to video or whatever. So to add a commentary track to your fanedit or something like that. I also use them often because I take commentary tracks that I have on DVD and add them to a bluray rip of a movie (maddeningly sometimes you don't get all the DVD features on the bluray version). Anyway, I digress. We should figure out how to get the m2ts file working but it's good to know about these tools regardless.

I'm trying to add the biggest file on the disc (40 GB). No other file even comes close. I'm looking in the "STREAM" folder, which is the only folder I've found with m2ts files.

Vegas loads the clip into the timeline, but it's only loading the six audio files.

When I ask it to "Match Project Properties to Media" and select the file, Vegas reports "This file has no video track."

I'm using Vegas 13 Pro, if it matters.

I appreciate the headsup about the other software. I've not heard of mp4box.

My roadblock has always been "how to get a bluray into a format Vegas will read". It's become a holy grail.

I'm not concerned about keeping the ultimate best quality, I really just want to get the video into a format Vegas won't poo poo.

When I use MediaInfo to analyze the m2ts file, it clearly shows the video track (AVC), several audio tracks, several subtitle tracks, etc.

Perhaps I'm importing into Vegas the wrong way?