• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Emotional Support Thread

I'll echo Garp on the volunteer front. I have very little to my name in terms of education and my first job was initially a volunteer position for 1 day a week. I was also coming out of a long period of illness and had barely any confidence, but starting with a volunteer position helped take the pressure off. That same job ended up being a paid position at 5-6 days a week.

I've made the decision to move to Rochester, New York upon obtaining my bachelors degree next year.  I chose this place to get closer to the film industry, particularly because it is home to the George Eastman Museum and the L. Jeffrey Selznick School of Film Preservation.  I hope to gain entry to that school somewhere down the line.

Now, I don't know anybody there, I don't have a job lined up there, I don't have anything planned except I am going and there's no reason for me to stay.  It's scary.  It'll be the first time I'm truly on my own, supporting myself.

I admire your bravery.

Do you have a place to stay lined up? Money?

I have a year to sort that out.  I'll be saving up money from now till then and I'll find someplace maybe by the end of this year.

Okay,  just making sure you weren't going in totally blind.  I'm sure you're wise enough to not do that.  Other than that question I'd say it sounds like an exciting choice.

Handman said:
I have a year to sort that out.  I'll be saving up money from now till then and I'll find someplace maybe by the end of this year.

You should tell everyone you know in the meantime that you're moving there.  I moved across country once and it's amazing who comes out of the woodwork when you mention it.  A friend's aunt got me a job that transitioned to a couple of other great jobs afterwards.  Worked out well, just cause I'd mentioned where I was moving.

I already did and no one really gave a shit.  Nobody I know knows anyone.  Thanks for the advice though.

Make sure your job references know you're moving, and why.  I dropped out of college and moved to the other end of the continent (don't know how far you're moving).  When applying for jobs, my references told me prospective employers would call them and ask (among other things) "So he moved across the country in the middle of college.  Was he in any sort of... trouble?"  They need to have a good answer for that.

This is a bit different, as I'm moving upon graduation, which I feel is a bit more normal.  However I will keep what you said in mind.

I've also severed ties with my two friends who are now together.  Sadly I was lying to myself and found myself crying a lot.  I now have no friends here.

Don't fret about those two people man.  As I alluded to when you announced it, it is only natural that you now distance yourself from them.  It doesn't make you a jerk and it doesn't mean you hate them,  but you have to do what's best for you and move on.

I suppose I could have held off on that, seeing as I intend to move next year.  I do have to move on, but I'm still questioning whether explicitly severing ties with them was a mistake or the healthy, hard decision I had to make eventually.  In any case, I don't think I can go back on what I said anymore.

It was the right thing to do.  Why put off getting better?  That's more progress and more headstart on getting over it that will leave you better prepared when the move happens.

People stay with/near - and excuse the behavior of - their abusers precisely because their abusers manipulate them into believing that.

Nothing brings me joy anymore.  I just count the hours until I'm tired enough to go to sleep.  This feeling may pass, but this emptiness will just stay with me no matter what I do.

Due to scheduling conflicts, I will have to quit my job later this month.  I'm glad I am.  I hope I can find something that will reinvigorate me.

Back
Top Bottom