• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Highlander - The Black Knight / Highlander - The Prize

revstevens

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm working on a Highlander edit. Some light cutting (Fasil's somersaults, and a few other things like that) and some effects clean up (I hate the lightning mattes that cover actor heads, maybe some wire removal). Is anyone else interested in watching something like that? Does anyone have anything to suggest doing with it that I may not have thought of?

*EDIT* Mostly comprehensive cut list coming soon-ish.

Do you have a cut list? That might help others add to your ideas.

Not yet. I'm in the middle of it at the moment, and I prefer putting the cut list together at the end.

Here's what I can remember having done -
Moved Ramirez's monologue and 'Princes of the Universe' to the end, to allow a more mysterious feel to the opening.
Rebuilt opening credits.
Cut flashbacks during wrestling.
Cut Fasil's somersaults.
Cut Fasil's lightning head matte.
Cut a few shots of Conner wandering during the battle.
Cut Conner swinging a hose at Kurgan.
New sound effects as Connor enters his loft.
Cut Ramirez's quote about Conner feeling The Quickening to maintain mythology.
Cut fish dropping from Conner's kilt.
Cut Ramirez spitting on Kurgan.
Cut Ramirez's VO about leaving Brenda. They just met.
Moved cops with the guy reading the newspaper up, so that there aren't two cop scenes back to back.
Cut Kurgan and the Hotel Clerk. Pointless scene.
Cut Kurgan car chase one.
Cut Vigilante describing what happened to him, because the loud PA VO annoys me.
Cut "It's better to burn out than to fade away".
Cut the sex scene, because Roxanne Hart has spoken about feeling coerced into it and because, she just saw the guy stab himself. 
Trimmed Kurgan car chase two.
Cut a few eye zooms during final quickening.
Cut Ramirez's VO, flashbacks, and Scotland from the ending.

Still to do-
Wire removal.
Remove window glare from car in first flashback.
Rebuild final credits.
Some lightning head mattes from final quickening.
Remove all references to Conner winning The Prize, so that the other movies, and series, can be watched without question.
Try to remove crew member from Ramirez/Kurgan fight.

Not sure what else.

Highlander is one of my top 10 movies. Love it to death. I'm very excited about this. A few questions though;

Any plans to incorporate footage from other parts of the series? Namely 3 or the TV series? Or is just kept within the initial film?

Also, thank you for removing the sex scene. Talk about jarring.

TinyBreadMouse said:
Any plans to incorporate footage from other parts of the series? Namely 3 or the TV series? Or is just kept within the initial film?
Hadn't planned on anything like that. I'm open to suggestion though. Got anything in particular that you think could/should be added?

TinyBreadMouse said:
Also, thank you for removing the sex scene. Talk about jarring.
You're welcome. I always found it rather odd myself. I mean, I get it. It's the 80's and Highlander was a B sci-fi picture. Boobs were mandatory. But I think the placement of the scene was wrong. And you'd need to film new scenes to able to place it logically.

[font=Raleway, sans-serif]Cut "It's better to burn out than to fade away".[/font]

Anyway I could convince you to keep that line?

I just love the delivery so much.

revel911 said:
[font=Raleway, sans-serif]Cut "It's better to burn out than to fade away".[/font]

Anyway I could convince you to keep that line?

I just love the delivery so much.

Eh... Maybe. The delivery is great. I just never understood its inclusion. Aside from padding the runtime. I'm (currently) ending the scene on the hand lick, which moves it all along a little faster and, I think, gets the same point across. 

Granted, cutting anything with Clancy Brown in Highlander feels almost as bad as cutting Pacino in Dick Tracy. It just hurts to do, even if I believe that I have sound reasoning.

I didn't have any specific scenes in mind, but I do remember Highlander 3 and the TV series having Macleod in a similar enough design to the first movie that it could work.

TinyBreadMouse said:
I didn't have any specific scenes in mind, but I do remember Highlander 3 and the TV series having Macleod in a similar enough design to the first movie that it could work.

Fair enough. I'll look into it. No promises though.

revstevens said:
New sound effects as Connor enters his loft.

Scratch that. My ears aren't good enough to do this. Stupid KISS concert.

revstevens said:
Moved cops with the guy reading the newspaper up, so that there aren't two cop scenes back to back.

This scene is now gone, as it introduced a continuity error moving it forward and I didn't see a good place to keep it later. Shame. I like this scene.

revstevens said:
Wire removal.

God, this takes forever.

Also, I'm removing 'Studios' from the Silvercup sign, to avoid that continuity error.

I really did not intend for this edit to be this big. Who knew that Highlander needed this much "fixing"?

OK. Work on this is slow, as I have four-ish projects going and a day job. But, here's a few preview clips and covers I've been working on. Only 16 more shots to remove wires from. and a few audio things to figure out. Which reminds me. Does anyone know of a DVD version of Highlander that includes the line "I want to go home" after the final Quickening? Neither of my versions include it and I'd like that in this edit. 

Password for all: fanedit.org
Removal of loud speaker during vigilante interview:
https://vimeo.com/user83475191/review/302077031/8c32b9a13a[/video]

Sex scene removal:
https://vimeo.com/user83475191/review/302077046/c9178e9fa3[/video]

Silvercup Studios:
https://vimeo.com/user83475191/review/302077054/e29c533c36[/video]

Covers:

I'll upload the opening next week, since it would exceed my upload limit for this week.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

TinyBreadMouse said:
Any progress?

Also, I really like that second cover.

Some. But not enough. Wire removal sucks and takes forever. And I still haven't found a copy of Connor's line after the final quickening about wanting to go home. But you can't win them all.

I think that one is my favorite, too.

OK. Quick update. 

• 126 more frames of wire removal to go. So there's that.
  • A little more editing to be done on the final quickening, though not much. 
  • Gonna roll with a stereo soundtrack, since that's how it was originally released and I still haven't wrapped my head around doing 5.1 mixes anyway.
After that, I think I'll be ready for feedback.

I'll pray for you to keep a sane mind through masking 126 frames of stunt wire.

TinyBreadMouse said:
I'll pray for you to keep a sane mind through masking 126 frames of stunt wire.

Thank you. Not sure how I haven't gone insane yet to be honest . Feels like I've already done a few thousand frames. Though I think it's only been a couple hundred.

Well... All the wires have been removed. Now, I just need to export everything from Photoshop, import it to Premiere and do a polish pass on the edit.

God, that took forever.

Apologies for the delay. Life, uh, got in the way.

Version 1 is done. Exporting now, then I'll be ready for feedback, if anyone is interested in providing any.

Run time is 1:47:12 including fanedit warning, faneditor vanity logo, and credits.

Back
Top Bottom