If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

Filmstruck shutting down
Has anyone heard of Kanopy?  It has a lot of Criterion's films, and many others (from Kino Lorber, Film Movement, and so on), streaming for free with a library card.  It's probably the biggest reason I never used FilmStruck.
"Everything ends and it's always sad.  But everything begins again too and that's always happy.  Be happy." ~ The Doctor
(11-16-2018, 04:04 PM)Handman Wrote: Has anyone heard of Kanopy? <snip>

Wow! Thanks for the heads up on this site. This is perfect for me.
Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this forum post do not represent the views of Fanedit.org or the Administrators. 
I just saw, through Guillermo Del Toro on Twitter, that Criterion is is making their own streaming service, and someone briefly compared it to Filmstruck. I don't know a whole lot about any of this, but some of you may be interested.
Mega Man is best game.
(11-16-2018, 06:09 PM)jrWHAG42 Wrote: I just saw, through Guillermo Del Toro on Twitter, that Criterion is is making their own streaming service, and someone briefly compared it to Filmstruck. I don't know a whole lot about any of this, but some of you may be interested.

https://forums.fanedit.org/showthread.php?tid=17534&pid=321011#pid321011
(11-16-2018, 09:49 PM)TVs Frink Wrote:
(11-16-2018, 06:09 PM)jrWHAG42 Wrote: I just saw, through Guillermo Del Toro on Twitter, that Criterion is is making their own streaming service, and someone briefly compared it to Filmstruck. I don't know a whole lot about any of this, but some of you may be interested.

https://forums.fanedit.org/showthread.ph...#pid321011

Whoops. I totally missed that.
Mega Man is best game.
Seriously though, can't wait to watch Armageddon whenever I want.
(11-16-2018, 09:53 PM)TVs Frink Wrote: Seriously though, can't wait to watch Armageddon whenever I want.

Armageddon is on Netflix. Just get Netflix  They also have Spider-Man 3. And as I'm typing this, in the search results for Armageddon, at least three Nicolas Cage films appear. Armageddon and Nic Cage. Can't beat that. Get Netflix. Forget about all other streaming services. gEt NeTfLiX
Mega Man is best game.
i'm telling ya.
i was talking about this with a coworker the other day.
well not this specifically, but streaming services.
the dude who figures out how to package a bunch or all the streaming services under one umbrella is going to become bigger than Bill Gates.
it would be basically be the reinvention of cable television.
"i subscribe to Golden Streams and get access to a dozen or so streaming services under one bill." you'll say.

side note: i know something kinda like this already exists, but lets hold back from talking about it here.
Firstling attempt coming soon. i hope.
(11-20-2018, 11:40 PM)baileym43 Wrote: the dude who figures out how to package a bunch or all the streaming services under one umbrella is going to become bigger than Bill Gates.
it would be basically be the reinvention of cable television.
"i subscribe to Golden Streams and get access to a dozen or so streaming services under one bill." you'll say.

Or...

wouldn't it be great if this crazy arms race ends up in a bloodbath, and then only netflix and amazon remain, and they both merge and form amazonetflixxx, and that's the umbrella?