• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Matching aspect ratios between movies

Horrifyingly Hillarous

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Does anyone know a good program that could be used to crop out the black bars on a blu ray, I’m combining parts of two films one has the bars and one doesn’t 

Thanks guys

What NLE are you using? In Vegas you can easily achieve this by setting the desired frame size/settings and then set the video attributes to match.

DigModiFicaTion said:
What NLE are you using? In Vegas you can easily achieve this by setting the desired frame size/settings and then set the video attributes to match.

I’m sort of new at this, what’s an NLE ? also I’m currently using Vegas movie studio 14

NLE is a Non-linear Editor or software that allows you to edit videos.

You souls be able to set your project settings to match your video without black borders and then adjust your other video parameters to match the non black settings by using the video properties button on the timeline. You'll need to turn off the resizing option when doing this. I'll try to make a video tutorial when I get home from work.

DigModiFicaTion said:
You souls be able to set..... 

0BUkCpX.jpg

Take it to the Your Favorite Games thread. ;)

On-topic, @"DigModiFicaTion" would that work for taking 16:9 footage and cropping to 2.35 or 2.39 or 2..40 or whatever it generally is?  Usually I just put some black bars over the top and bottom of the 16:9 footage but I'm not sure if that's the best way to do it.

Or is that a completely different situation and I'm still off topic /facepalm

Thanks for the tips, I’ll see if I can mess around with it later and I’ll keep a lookout for that tutorial, thanks digimod for offering to make one btw

Here's a short video I had made to show how to eliminate black bars from a Blur Ray Source.

Here's another method if you find yourself working with an iTunes source. Disclaimer, recorded early in the morning so I'm a bit out of it. Also, I probably use the wrong vernacular/jargon/diction, but I hope this helps.

TVs Frink said:
On-topic, @"DigModiFicaTion" would that work for taking 16:9 footage and cropping to 2.35 or 2.39 or 2..40 or whatever it generally is?  Usually I just put some black bars over the top and bottom of the 16:9 footage but I'm not sure if that's the best way to do it.

Or is that a completely different situation and I'm still off topic /facepalm

In your case Frink, where you occasionally have things going on in the black bars (like subtitles) you kind of have to go with the black bar overlay approach.

DigModiFicaTion said:
Here's a short video I had made to show how to eliminate black bars from a Blur Ray Source.

Here's another method if you find yourself working with an iTunes source. Disclaimer, recorded early in the morning so I'm a bit out of it. Also, I probably use the wrong vernacular/jargon/diction, but I hope this helps.

Thanks this was very helpful

Back
Top Bottom