If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

SEPTEMBER 2018 FEOTM - Every month we ask the community to vote on their Favorite Fanedit of the Month. To view the nominees and vote visit this thread.

Rebuilding Audio Help
Hello all, I’ve been going through the forums on audio editing and haven’t really gotten any results in separating audio from music so far. Instead of trying to isolate things I’ve heard it may be a bit easier to just rebuild the sfx from scratch and add new music, BUT how exactly do I find these effects libraries like say I’m doing a Batman edit and need sfx of the grapple gun, I can get them from one of the Arkham games for example. 

Thanks
“You were always SCUM”
            -Phasma 

“Rebel SCUM”
          -Finn
I usually just Google specifics and then use whatever is available or repurposed the effect from another place in the source material.
Freesound.org is a good resource.
Thanks for the tips guys, I’ll check those out. On a related note I’ve noticed that many were able to rescore a scene but still keep dialogue pretty clear, how is this possible if music often is also present on the track ? my main issue is separating dialogue from the existing music. I can find sfx and replacement music as suggested but it’s that damn dialogue that I don’t know how to isolate or at least make more prominent
“You were always SCUM”
            -Phasma 

“Rebel SCUM”
          -Finn
(10-10-2018, 07:57 PM)Horrifyingly Hillarous Wrote: Thanks for the tips guys, I’ll check those out. On a related note I’ve noticed that many were able to rescore a scene but still keep dialogue pretty clear, how is this possible if music often is also present on the track ? my main issue is separating dialogue from the existing music. I can find sfx and replacement music as suggested but it’s that damn dialogue that I don’t know how to isolate or at least make more prominent

If you're using surround sound, you can load the file(s) into Audacity or another sound editing program. There will be six tracks, the third one is usually the center track and if you're lucky it won't have music. If your luck is average it will have some light music. If you have bad luck then music may bleed straight through. Editing this way is slow and meticulous but not a guaranteed failure. If you're using stereo audio, you're completely out of luck. Check the big thread for my explanations of three or four options, starting with this post. 
(10-10-2018, 08:25 PM)addiesin Wrote:
(10-10-2018, 07:57 PM)Horrifyingly Hillarous Wrote: Thanks for the tips guys, I’ll check those out. On a related note I’ve noticed that many were able to rescore a scene but still keep dialogue pretty clear, how is this possible if music often is also present on the track ? my main issue is separating dialogue from the existing music. I can find sfx and replacement music as suggested but it’s that damn dialogue that I don’t know how to isolate or at least make more prominent

If you're using surround sound, you can load the file(s) into Audacity or another sound editing program. There will be six tracks, the third one is usually the center track and if you're lucky it won't have music. If your luck is average it will have some light music. If you have bad luck then music may bleed straight through. Editing this way is slow and meticulous but not a guaranteed failure. If you're using stereo audio, you're completely out of luck. Check the big thread for my explanations of three or four options, starting with this post. 

Thanks, I usually just rip everything with 5.1 surround sound so it’s mostly stuff bleeding through
“You were always SCUM”
            -Phasma 

“Rebel SCUM”
          -Finn
Hey, this video I made a few years back on audio editing may help a little Wink

Completed...
Last Survivor's completed edits 

Currently Editing...
Licence Revoked