• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Mandalorian (2019)

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I figured someone had to start it. I’ve been completely uninterested in the cartoons, though I’ve given them a chance. I’m hopeful that a live action series will deliver. Honestly in the rest of the non-Star Wars media world, I’m consistently more entertained by the quality TV being produced than he popular movies. Im hoping this is more Game of Thrones (or Narcos) than Rebels.

the-mandalorian-1024x809.jpg

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Jon Favreau directing, starring some random Mandalorian, set somewhere between RotJ and TFA. I'll give it a shot, but it'll take a lot to bring me back from the Star Wars fatigue.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't understand the apparent love of all things Mandalore within Star Wars (I seem to remember both the 'Clone Wars' & 'Rebels' TV shows featured them somewhat heavily, as well as numerous Karen Traviss novels), so this doesn't excite me. Still, I like Jon Favreau so that and 'Star Wars' is enough to get me to try it out (so long as I don't have to pay for it).

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah I think there’s a feeling that the Mandalorians kinda represent the lone cowboy who’s not quite a bad guy, but not quite a good guy either. Sort of the Leone Man With No Name figure. If they have good stories that minimally include the Republic, last vestiges of the Empire, or God forbid, the First Order it could be good. I’m still skeptical Disney will ever make a Star Wars property that isn’t kid friendly. To me, aiming it more at adults is the only way I am going to be interested. Rumor(?) has it Pedro Pascal is the lead. I liked him a lot in both GoT and Narcos.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My problem with a series about Mandalorians was that I thought it was about MandalorianS. I mean I liked their stories in Clone Wars, but I was not super interested in a series about THEM. But it seems favreau said the concept is following a single character on his adventures. Feels good enough to me.

Of course it sounds like Boba Fett all over again... but what if it IS Boba Fett?
(I don't think it's the case since they developped this series at the same time they once thought about making a Boba Fett movie.)

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Plus factors:

--Jon Favreau
--A setting shortly post-RotJ, when the galaxy should be in a relatively happy place. Of course there needs to be conflict, but it would be nice to see that the actions of Luke, Han and Leia led to some good years for the galaxy.

Minus factors:

--As others have noted, haven't we exhausted the Mandalorian storylines at this point?

Crimson713

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't get all the Mandalorian fatigue. I love it. Mandalorian culture is really cool, IMO, and I get excited for any new Star Wars stuff anyway. With the creative team and the post RotJ setting, this has huge potential.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
As someone who’s only knowledge of Mandalorian stuff come from Boba and Jango Fett (I’ve tried to erase the latter from my mind), I’m okay with it. Though I do feel Boba Fett is a highly overrated character. It’s a cool costume and he showed himself to be clever in Empire. And he wasn’t in anything else I’m sure of it!  :p

But this character can’t be just Boba Fett in everything but name for me to be interested.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
But this character can’t be just Boba Fett in everything but name for me to be interested.

I agree. However, I imagine that's what we'll get.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zamros said:
Jon Favreau directing, starring some random Mandalorian, set somewhere between RotJ and TFA. I'll give it a shot, but it'll take a lot to bring me back from the Star Wars fatigue.

Agreed. I actually love Favreau's Iron Man 2 and think it's great, but Cowboys and Aliens was one of my most miserable theater-going experiences ever. So, we'll see...

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
Cowboys and Aliens was one of my most miserable theater-going experiences ever.

/Off topic

That film is a guilty pleasure of mine. :blush:

/Back to topic

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So the guy who was an MMA fighter and dated Monica is making this, or the former Obama speechwriter is making this?

What I think every time I see his name attached to anything.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
First offical picture.

Dos4jRbXsAAYNnE.0.jpg

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dave Filoni directing the first episode
then, Deborah Chow (Jessica Jones), Rick Famuyiwa (Dope), Bryce Dallas Howard (Solemates), and Taika Waititi (Thor: Ragnarok).

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Since nobody's posted it here, here's the synopsis:

starwars.com said:
After the stories of Jango and Boba Fett, another warrior emerges in the Star Wars universe. The Mandalorian is set after the fall of the Empire and before the emergence of the First Order. We follow the travails of a lone gunfighter in the outer reaches of the galaxy far from the authority of the New Republic.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
OK, I'm definitely more excited now.

That's an impressive list of directors. I'm particularly excited about Taika Waititi. Sidebar: I don't know why Marvel hasn't snapped him up for "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3" yet.

And when I saw the image of that armor, I was suddenly reminded of something: In addition to playing with my Star Wars figure as a kid, I would occasionally play with Boba Fett by himself as a jetpack-wearing superhero. It looks like Jon Favreau is basically filming my childhood playtime. :)

(Yes, I know that's not Boba, but it could be, for all intents and purposes.)

And admittedly, Boba Fett is a bit overrated. But he's so popular because of that awesome suit. I'll give a series a chance if it's about a hero wearing that suit! :D

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
OBut he's so popular because of that awesome suit.

The suit, yes, but I think a lot of his popularity stems from his disposition.  He's pretty much the only character in Empire that comes into personal contact with Vader and isn't afraid of him.  Moreover, Vader doesn't really seem to care about this, either.  He alters the deal with Lando, yet offers to compensate Fett in the event of Han's unintended death.  Earning that kind of professional respect from Darth Vader speaks volumes.  At least, that's how I perceive it.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
Dave Filoni directing the first episode
then, Deborah Chow (Jessica Jones), Rick Famuyiwa (Dope), Bryce Dallas Howard (Solemates), and Taika Waititi (Thor: Ragnarok).

Very interesting. I had assumed that Jon Favreau himself would direct the first episode, but Filoni is a great choice. I haven't seen any of Bryce Dallas Howard's work as a director so far, but I do like her as an actress, and it's neat that two Howards (Ron and Bryce Dallas) will have directed Star Wars properties. I'm not too enthused about Taika Waititi after the travesty that was "Thor: Ragnarok", but he'll hopefully be more reigned in due to this being a series in which drastic changes in canon and continuity presumably won't be allowed (plus a one-off television episode could be a place where his style of humor might not be out of place), so his episode might turn out well.

theryaney said:
Since nobody's posted it here, here's the synopsis:

starwars.com said:
After the stories of Jango and Boba Fett, another warrior emerges in the Star Wars universe. The Mandalorian is set after the fall of the Empire and before the emergence of the First Order. We follow the travails of a lone gunfighter in the outer reaches of the galaxy far from the authority of the New Republic.

That actually sounds quite promising, especially if they avoid ever having the First Order involved.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was thinking it looked like an above average fan-film until the unexpected cameo at 1.20 piqued my interest. A production that would choose to cast WH has got to have a bit more going on.

I noticed this bit of info on the wiki page: "Taika Waititi as the voice of IG-11"

Hmmm, I love Taika as much as the next guy and I don't know exactly how I imagined IG-11's voice would sound from seeing ESB but eccentric comedy Kiwi probably wasn't it.

Top Bottom