• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Spider-man into the Spider-verse

addiesin said:
Duragizer said:
I don't care what anybody says; anything with "Spider-Verse" in its title I'm not touching with a ten-foot webline.

Any reason? I've heard good things exclusively.

1. The plot synopsis on Wikipedia reads like bad fanfic.
  2. It shares a title with a comic book storyline which also reads like bad fanfic.

Duragizer said:
addiesin said:
Duragizer said:
I don't care what anybody says; anything with "Spider-Verse" in its title I'm not touching with a ten-foot webline.

Any reason? I've heard good things exclusively.

1. The plot synopsis on Wikipedia reads like bad fanfic.
  2. It shares a title with a comic book storyline which also reads like bad fanfic.

If you say so. In that case, I defer back to my book-cover-judgement statement. Everyone I've heard from who has seen the film has enjoyed it. 
Rotten Tomatoes has 97% critic score, 95% audience score. Do what you will.

Hey, some fanfiction out there is really good. Though I suppose I can understand that. I'm reading Doomsday Clock on and off, and it has a bit of a fanfiction vibe to it. I suppose any crossover can feel weird. I still enjoy it all though. Haven't read the Spider-Verse comic nor seen the film, so I can't have an opinion on its quality of writing.

Basically what I'm trying to say is, I get where you're coming from. I just can't word things good.

Posts migrated to this on topic thread. Please use this thread to further discuss the ills and thrills of this movie. Thanks!

jrWHAG42 said:
Hey, some fanfiction out there is really good.

Oh, I certainly agree. I'd be a hypocrite if I claimed otherwise.

addiesin said:
All good guys, I just like praising Lorde and Miller, and thought I had an excuse to do so.

I also like praising the Coen Bros, and The Ballad of Buster Scruggs is refreshing and great and light and dark at the same time. It's more than a Western, and I recommend it.

I tried to pull it back to being on topic. Ironically now my attempt is off topic.

That's what I get for "tryin stuff"

I saw this yesterday, and it's instantly shot up to one of my favorites of 2018.  There's been a trend recently of rewriting old, beloved characters in a way to benefit new ones, to the detriment of the original.  This movie kind of does that, but in a clever way that I found incredibly rewarding.  It was brilliant.

A friend of mine said it was better than the Raimi films, but I greatly disagree with that.  This new film requires a certain knowledge of Spidey's background, and I would say is almost inaccessible to outsiders.  Since Marvel has taken over our universe, though, perhaps there aren't very many outsiders anymore.  Not the case in 2002.  The Raimi films stand on their own, while this one banks on how you already feel about the character.  It's like the LEGO Batman Movie, in that it's very meta and self-referential.  But it was gorgeous to look at and very well done.

i caught this the other day and while i agree with Hand, at some points it was feeling a little to video game cut-sceney to me.
this movie deserves the praise it's getting.  a working knowledge of the Spider-history only adds to the enjoyment.
mostly in a RedLetter Media's, "I know that character!  i clapped when i saw him!" kind of way.

I went to see it last night and I really liked everything. The only thing I didn't like was that the animation felt like it was too low of a frame rate at a few points during the movie. I think that was an artistic choice and not an error, but it was a little distracting.

The animation was trying to emulate stop motion.  I liked how they added the text bubbles after he got bit.  It was a fun movie but not the second coming like a lot have been declaring.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)
Deliriously inventive story telling in an eye-popping and original animation style (influenced by the texture and printing style of comic books) is a winning combination. The characters are defined strongly enough that they can easily withstand oodles of convoluted parallel-universe shenanigans. My minimal familiarity with the Spider-Man franchise allowed me to keep up but anybody making this their first foray in the Spidey world would be totally lost because this film precedes from the assumption that you know the usual setup already (in fact over familiarity with the franchise is made into a self-deprecating running joke). If I had to nitpick, it was a touch too long and the big finale came close to being visually exhausting. I'm sure the story will play just as strong on the small screen but the beautifully detailed and colourful animation is best seen at the cinema.

Wow! I can not believe it took me this long to watch this?!?!?  My daughter has been raving about this movie for months, telling me how much I will love it and yet I was reluctant to commit....

well, shame on me!  

This is Spider-tastic!!!!!!

If you are a Spidey fan from either the movies or comic books or cartoons, this is not only a Must Watch, but a MUST HAVE!

I loved every moment of this movie, it is a pure delight.  It is true and faithful to all the classic Spider-man tropes, filled with lots of heart and depth that gave me the FEELS several times throughout the story.  The animation is rich, gorgeous, and deftly handled; the dark tragic moments hit home with deep emotional impact while the broad silly humour uplifts you without breaking your suspension of disbelief.

The only nitpick I had was the Spider-man comic book Miles keeps referencing showing Peter Parker's origin, which is confusing since Peter Parker exist's in Mile's universe?

Despite this, I had a thoroughly fun ride and would put this on par with Raimi's Spider-man 2, or at the very least, consider this movie a direct sequel to the Raimi films.

Can't wait to watch the Alternate Universe blu ray bonus feature!  :D

^ In the bonus features, they explained that for many sequences they used about 12 FPS instead of the usual 24, to give it a more comic book feel, as though it was actual comic book page frames edited together, so the eye can linger longer over the details in the imagery.

It is a very creative choice and works exceptionally well, as every second in this movie is a beautiful piece of art.  :)

Back
Top Bottom