• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Blu-ray cables.

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Should be a straight swap for your current disc drive, cables included?

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, you might have a problem with that as the one you bought is an internal drive for a tower. You'll most likely need to buy a powered external casing for it.

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
Well, you might have a problem with that as the one you bought is an internal drive for a tower. You'll most likely need to buy a powered external casing for it.

Sure, as long as I can buy it from Amazon.co.uk

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
wilhelm scream said:
Never mind, I just found what I was looking for: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00HJZJI84/

The problem with that cable is that it will draw power through the USB. It's been my experience that this can lead to burn failures, as the data and power are struggling to go through the same route (a digital bottleneck or sorts). I've never once had a burn fail with a separate power supply, I had them all the time with USB only (just my experience not a proven fact). It might work fine for you, it might not. That said, if you aren't planning to burn stuff, just rip discs, then it will A okay.

This type of powered enclosure would be a better solution (but it's expensive, maybe there is a cheaper one if you search):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-USB-3-0-Enclosure-Drives/dp/B00B9G4AKK/

But at that price you'd just be better buying a proper external drive. I've got this one and it's never let me down (touch wood)and is very small, thin and compact (probably less than a third of the width of an internal unit):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Verbatim-43890-External-Slimline-Blu-ray/dp/B01FUIYMDC/

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
wilhelm scream said:
Never mind, I just found what I was looking for: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00HJZJI84/

The problem with that cable is that it will draw power through the USB. It's been my experience that this can lead to burn failures, as the data and power are struggling to go through the same route (a digital bottleneck or sorts). I've never once had a burn fail with a separate power supply, I had them all the time with USB only (just my experience not a proven fact). It might work fine for you, it might not. That said, if you aren't planning to burn stuff, just rip discs, then it will A okay.

This type of powered enclosure would be a better solution (but it's expensive, maybe there is a cheaper one if you search):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-USB-3-0-Enclosure-Drives/dp/B00B9G4AKK/

But at that price you'd just be better buying a proper external drive. I've got this one and it's never let me down (touch wood)and is very small, thin and compact (probably less than a third of the width of an internal unit):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Verbatim-43890-External-Slimline-Blu-ray/dp/B01FUIYMDC/

I'm only going to rip, not burn. My skills are not that advanced.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, that cable is only for data transfer. I believe there is a separate port for power

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
Well, that cable is only for data transfer. I believe there is a separate port for power

IIRC that is a combined plug for both (big power, small data)e.g.

44276464954_33d704a7f2_o.jpg

So it should work I guess?

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
DigModiFicaTion said:

So it should work I guess?

Oh, well thanks for clearing the confusing drawings on the instructions. You know, this is the first time you've helped me and I don't feel frustrated or mad.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
See, you get help, you say thanks, and all is good...and then you throw in the end bit.  Nice job.  Why would anyone get mad at TM2YC, who is one of the most patient and helpful people here?  Scratch that, he's the most patient and helpful person here.

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
See, you get help, you say thanks, and all is good...and then you throw in the end bit.  Nice job.  Why would anyone get mad at TM2YC, who is one of the most patient and helpful people here?  Scratch that, he's the most patient and helpful person here.

My Thunderbirds edit. He kept asking me technical questions that I didn't understand and refused to watch the edit until I did. It caused me to become very mad, frustrated and disillusioned with the admins. To this day I still have no idea what that was about, and now nobody wants to watch my fanedits for approval.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You have a very distorted view of what actually happened.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:

Oops, I should have looked close and put an if there. I'll be interested to see how it works out.

+1 for TM2YC being the nicest of the nice people here.

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
You have a very distorted view of what actually happened.

Well your not me. You weren't the one going through a stressful time in your life, you weren't the one who was really excited when they learned they didn't have to wait for studios to cuts you wanted to and there was a whole community behind it. You weren't the one to discover that the admins would be unreasonable, ask complex technical questions you didn't understand because it was your first time. You weren't the one who was forced to redo the edit multiplie times because the admins refused to watch the edit without learning the technical details first. You weren't the one who experienced the year and a half nightmare that was the edit!

And now, your telling me that I have a distorted view of events? I think it's the other way around. But if you truely belive it, then prove it. Approve my Red Dwarf fanedit, make me a qualified fanedit (make my profile say faneditor and not registered user) and we'll never talk about this again. Deal?

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's not exactly how it works. Also, please take this as a gentle warning to not take your frustrations out on staff publicly.

As for the comments, you may not know the many things many of the individuals in this community are going through and have gone through. We try to give each other grace and support.

As for the approval process, there are standards that need to be met. TM2YC was my initial reviewer and he held me to a high standard and I'm grateful for that. It required me to learn and grow in both skill and humility. It's not easy, but if you're willing to get the baseline necessary skills it assures you will continge to produce quality work.

I'm sorry that you have felt so jaded and that you are not finding enjoyment in your edit. Even without the fanedit badge, you are free to share your edit.

With that, let's refocus on the topic of this thread so it can meet its intended purpose.

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
That's not exactly how it works. Also, please take this as a gentle warning to not take your frustrations out on staff publicly.

As for the comments, you may not know the many things many of the individuals in this community are going through and have gone through. We try to give each other grace and support.

As for the approval process, there are standards that need to be met. TM2YC was my initial reviewer and he held me to a high standard and I'm grateful for that. It required me to learn and grow in both skill and humility. It's not easy, but if you're willing to get the baseline necessary skills it assures you will continge to produce quality work.

I'm sorry that you have felt so jaded and that you are not finding enjoyment in your edit. Even without the fanedit badge, you are free to share your edit.

With that, let's refocus on the topic of this thread so it can meet its intended purpose.

If you insist, I just ordered the cable and I'll find out in a few days when it arrives.

Top Bottom