• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Captain Marvel 2019

CAPTAIN MARVEL passes the 1 Billion Dollar mark...

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/captain-marvel-1-billion-box-office-1203175093/

I just watched Netflix's THE UNICORN STORE and it made me realize how much the filmmakers of Captain Marvel must have made Larson dial back her performance.

Larson's charisma in The Unicorn Store is absolutely magnetic and delightful.  Based on this and in other Larson films I have watched,  I can completely understand why she was cast as Carol Danvers.  But in the actual movie, you only get little glimmers of her mischievous charm and magnetism.  It's a shame the producers directed the performances so safe.  I really hope Larson is allowed greater freedom in End Game and CM2, as she is an exceptional actor whose talents should be allowed to shine.

I mean...she's supposed to be brainwashed and have her emotions suppressed, it's part of the story.

If you haven’t seen it, check out Short Term 12. It was the first movie I noticed Larson in and I immediately became a fan. It also features early career performances from Rami Malek and Lakeith Stanfield.

She's great as Scott Pilgrim's evil ex Envy Adams, and I like her voice in the movie version of the song she sings better than the version recorded with the band's IRL singer.

Finally saw this today. Lots of thoughts. Liked it, didn't love it. Enjoyed the Skrulls more than I expected, and was surprised a few times, but still it was mostly predictable. I like the character and now that the origin story is out of the way we'll see more of what she can do.

I did find it interesting in the Endgame press conference that Brie Larson filmed Endgame before Captain Marvel. Should have been obvious to me since IW and EG were filmed concurrently, but it's interesting that CM was actually Larson's second time playing the character, much like Matt Smith's first episode of Doctor Who not being the first one he filmed (which was Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone).

I might go to see this later. How boring is it? Will it hold the attention of a child, age 5?

jrWHAG42 said:
I might go to see this later. How boring is it? Will it hold the attention of a child, age 5?

From how you phrased that, I gotta ask: are you planning on bringing a kid, or is that your own level of attention span? :D

lapis molari said:
jrWHAG42 said:

From how you phrased that, I gotta ask: are you planning on bringing a kid, or is that your own level of attention span? :D

I'm not sure which. Ask me again later.

do watch this! it's my third favorite MCU movie. love it with all my heart.

jrWHAG42 said:

It's not boring, pretty entertaining throughout worth seeing even just for the conversation imo. It's just not perfect and you might think about that stuff after the credits roll. I wasn't looking for flaws or Lazer-focused on the technical aspects of the film while watching. 

But my wife and I talked about it a lot more than any other superhero movie we've seen together. She's not really into the "genre" and the conversations are more often one-sided. That's worth something imo.

Idk if this would be possible but I have an idea for a small change to Captain Marvel that would make everything about her powers, her arc and just the whole Kree storyline more compelling: get rid of the microchip.
This works for 4 main reasons:

1. It completes/justifies her emotional arc
2. It fixes (arguably) a plot contrivance of her never examining/questioning the chip
3. It makes for a much better final battle
4. It makes her powers/evolution more interesting

1: throughout Captain Marvel there was an undeniably feminist motif/theme of "emotions being treated as a weakness", and while the film does an OK job at disguising feminism as humanism (which ultimately it is, and why that idea works well) through Yon-Rogg as not just a hypocrital man dismissing female emotionality, but a hypocrital alien dismissing human emotionality. Where the film's suffers is that it never really offers any evidence of a counterargument: Carol begins the movie cool, collected, and snarky (and occasionally emotional) and ends the movie exactly the same way. By removing the dampener, and making her emotions the source of her power, the film finally comes to the conclusion that emotions are healthy and important and people who tell you to supress them, are supressing your power. This also draws a clear parallel with the suffragette movement, where it was a combination of emotional resolve, as well as strategy, that ultimately resulted in women gaining the right to vote.

2: This is a small one but, even if the Kree told Carol that the chip was actually the source of her powers, I find it hard to believe that she would never try taking it off to see what she was like without them. It makes her seem naïve in a way that the movie obviously wasn't going for.

3: The final battle was super underwhelming. Maybe I'd been spoiled after Thor Ragnarok, GotG2, and Infinity War, but it felt completely void of stakes or emotion. By having Carol's emotions directly correlated with her power, you could finally see her express a full range of emotions towards Starforce: betrayal, indignance, and relief. This would make the role of the battle not just a CGI fuckfest but a fun way of expelling all of the repressed emotions that plagued the movie in a way that would retroactively make it feel deeply rewarding. Also the most fun part of the movie was watching Carol roar at the Skrulls in the beginning, a whole battle of this paired with genuine emotions of having been gaslight by people she thought of as family would have been AMAZING.

4. Thor has the most impressive power related arc of any of the MCU heroes. Perhaps because Iron Man's suits are external, and Cap's powers are far less interesting than his ideology, Thor as the only other hero with a trilogy (and interesting superpowers) takes this spot. 
Thor 1 is about learning WHEN to use his powers (hero vs unecessary interventionist)
Avengers 1 - Age of Ultron is Thor learning to work with others (center of attention vs team player) 
Ragnarok - Infinity War is Thor being stripped of all his trademarks (the Hammer, Asgard, etc.) and proving that he relies on these too heavily and is actually more powerful without him (Ragnarok) but even with that power his weakness is not a lack of power, but a lack of failure resulting in arrogance and ULTIMATE failure (Infinity War) (External vs Internal power) + (Ego as the ultimate weakness). And his power set in each movie reflects this.

Anyways, just a ramble but I always think about it when people ask me why I wasn't impressed by the movie

I don’t disagree with that video, but I’ve never felt like any MCU character arc felt particularly poignant or earned, nor do I feel each movie stands out from the next. They seem purposefully interchangeable and paint-by-numbers. The things that stand out in my memory of any of the MCU films are the charismatic performances.

Back
Top Bottom