• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Captain Marvel 2019

addiesin said:
Yeah, that's what sparked my curiosity on the subject. If you look at him in Iron Man 1, he looks younger than in that screenshot. The face wrinkles are less intense in IM. It's Hollywood so they might just claim he doesn't need de-aging, but in reality we've been watching him age for over ten years now. He looks great for his age, but he doesn't look young.

Clark Gregg was joking in that tweet. He revealed in an interview that he looks younger in the movie due to a combination of exercise and digital de-aging.

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/04/26/clark-gregg-on-returning-captain-marvel/

hbenthow said:
addiesin said:
Yeah, that's what sparked my curiosity on the subject. If you look at him in Iron Man 1, he looks younger than in that screenshot. The face wrinkles are less intense in IM. It's Hollywood so they might just claim he doesn't need de-aging, but in reality we've been watching him age for over ten years now. He looks great for his age, but he doesn't look young.

Clark Gregg was joking in that tweet. He revealed in an interview that he looks younger in the movie due to a combination of exercise and digital de-aging.

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/04/26/clark-gregg-on-returning-captain-marvel/

Well regardless, it's going to be nice to see Coulson on the big screen again. I'm just a bit concerned about the potential continuity errors with Agents of Shield (although they could be addressed during season 6 or 7). Even if I'm a bit sad we probably won't get a cameo from Melinda May meeting Coulson, but whatever.

wilhelm scream said:
Well regardless, it's going to be nice to see Coulson on the big screen again. I'm just a bit concerned about the potential continuity errors with Agents of Shield (although they could be addressed during season 6 or 7). Even if I'm a bit sad we probably won't get a cameo from Melinda May meeting Coulson, but whatever.

I have a suspicion that the movie might feature some setup for the "G.H." suplot, considering that the Kree are involved.

Here's the latest teaser:

A no hold barred news interview....

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5EOfR6osrM[/video]
:D

Saw it a few hours ago. Awful movie, and requires a lot of editing.

It's boring, no stakes, no tension, Brie is bland and is totally deadpan, she has no journey. She's handed virtually everything and the final battle is completely one-sided. Fury is made into a comedy caricature who hangs out with a cat most of the movie,  Kree are virtually no threat and the one interesting threat is flanderised.  

Marvel Studios has always been the Emperor's New Clothes of the superhero movie genre, I'm glad from the middling reviews I've seen for this that in this one instance, people see the emperor is naked.

Go watch Alita instead.

Zarius said:
It's boring, no stakes, no tension, Brie is bland and is totally deadpan, she has no journey. She's handed virtually everything and the final battle is completely one-sided. Fury is made into a comedy caricature who hangs out with a cat most of the movie,  Kree are virtually no threat and the one interesting threat is flanderised.  

Marvel Studios has always been the Emperor's New Clothes of the superhero movie genre, I'm glad from the middling reviews I've seen for this that in this one instance, people see the emperor is naked.

Go watch Alita instead.

Personally, I disagree. Brie was a great casting choice (although I am from the UK, where deadpan is kind of popular, which I love) with the journey of discovering her past, her being really powerful is helping raise the stakes for Endgame, and I loved the parts with Fury and the cat, considering how much I laughed during those scenes.  It was interesting seeing more of the Kree and seeing their role expanded (although I have watched all of Agents of Shield, so that probably has something to do with it).

I love a majority of the MCU movies, so I might be a bit biased. But, I go to movies to have a good time, and Captain Marvel gave me a good time. Besides, I'm more excited than ever to be seeing Avengers: Endgame!

I was considering going to watch Alita, but I saw the trailer and realised I had no interest watching live-action anime eyes for 2 hours. Maybe on home video or streaming service, but not in cinema's.

I'm a Brit too, but I prefer wackier subversive humour to dry deadpan humour, not that it's a bad thing either, but something crashes or burns depending on the delivery and she couldn't deliver. 

Carol being really powerful doesn't raise any stakes, it's so obvious they're subverting expectations and they'll have Carol struggle against Thanos even if the marketing points to her being an equal. Even if she were to be brought up to his level, it doesn't make for a very satisfactory third act in her own individual movie. The Kree were nothing to her. There is no replay value.

I want a good time, but I want to be able to think, feel, and consider a lot of different angles. There are even a lot of bad Marvel movies out there where I've experienced that and this just isn't one of them. I felt cold and bored throughout the film.

BTW, thankyou for not flipping out at me for this opinion.

I might go see this in the next few weeks with my little cousin, but she hasn’t seen the other MCU films. Can she watch this no problem without any confusion or spoilers for the MCU like Infinity War, scenes teasing Endgame, etc? Post credits scene included.

Spoil away for this particular question :D

Zarius said:

SmoothExhaustedAfricanwildcat-small.gif

Masirimso17 said:
I might go see this in the next few weeks with my little cousin, but she hasn’t seen the other MCU films. Can she watch this no problem without any confusion or spoilers for the MCU like Infinity War, scenes teasing Endgame, etc? Post credits scene included.

Just don't show her the mid-credits scene.

Zarius said:
I'm a Brit too, but I prefer wackier subversive humour to dry deadpan humour, not that it's a bad thing either, but something crashes or burns depending on the delivery and she couldn't deliver. 

Carol being really powerful doesn't raise any stakes, it's so obvious they're subverting expectations and they'll have Carol struggle against Thanos even if the marketing points to her being an equal. Even if she were to be brought up to his level, it doesn't make for a very satisfactory third act in her own individual movie. The Kree were nothing to her. There is no replay value.

I want a good time, but I want to be able to think, feel, and consider a lot of different angles. There are even a lot of bad Marvel movies out there where I've experienced that and this just isn't one of them. I felt cold and bored throughout the film.

Well I have calmed down alot since I first came on this years ago. Besides, it doesn't change the fact that the MCU is possibly my favourite francise of all time.

wilhelm scream said:
I was considering going to watch Alita, but I saw the trailer and realised I had no interest watching live-action anime eyes for 2 hours. Maybe on home video or streaming service, but not in cinema's.

Agreed.

wilhelm scream said:
Well I have calmed down alot since I first came on this years ago.

Agreed.

Masirimso17 said:

The movie does more to tie into Phase One mythology than Endgame, the ending explains why she's been absent the whole time, and the post credit scene is all you need.

Spoiler free review...

Captain Marvel (2019)
The first 15-20mins(?) is mostly convoluted, boring and overly serious exposition/setup that clearly wasn't that important because I got bored, zoned out and missed half of it but the plot afterwards made sense anyway. This opening section could do with a heavy-trim, I'll be looking for a fanedit. However, the second that Captain Marvel lands on 1995 Earth everything falls into place and we get lots of fish-outta-water fun, plenty of retro humour and a buddy movie vibe, thanks to good chemistry with Sam Jackson. Boy is his CGI de-aging impressive, considering they had to do it for perhaps an hour of footage without a pixel out of place. Coulson's de-aging is less good with the expected uncanny feel, no doubt because they didn’t have the same amount of vintage reference material for the actor. Some of the plot motivations don't quite add up and the film seemed convinced the twists were not obvious. A solid and enjoyable action-adventure overall, with some parts that really worked but not one of the top-tier Marvel films.

Was it me, or where they trying to remind us at every turn of the movie 'Independence Day' (filmed in the same year)?

^ Mark seems to feel similarly "whelmed" by the movie but Simon loved it.

TM2YC said:
Spoiler free review...

Captain Marvel (2019)
The first 15-20mins(?) is mostly convoluted, boring and overly serious exposition/setup that clearly wasn't that important because I got bored, zoned out and missed half of it but the plot afterwards made sense anyway. This opening section could do with a heavy-trim, I'll be looking for a fanedit. However, the second that Captain Marvel lands on 1995 Earth everything falls into place and we get lots of fish-outta-water fun, plenty of retro humour and a buddy movie vibe, thanks to good chemistry with Sam Jackson. Boy is his CGI de-aging impressive, considering they had to do it for perhaps an hour of footage without a pixel out of place. Coulson's de-aging is less good with the expected uncanny feel, no doubt because they didn’t have the same amount of vintage reference material for the actor. Some of the plot motivations don't quite add up and the film seemed convinced the twists were not obvious. A solid and enjoyable action-adventure overall, with some parts that really worked but not one of the top-tier Marvel films.

Was it me, or where they trying to remind us at every turn of the movie 'Independence Day' (filmed in the same year)?

^ Mark seems to feel similarly "whelmed" by the movie but Simon loved it.

Just back from watching this with the family. I echo your sentiments and would add that I felt the explanations offered for fury losing an eye & the name of a certain initiative fell a bit flat

Back
Top Bottom