If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

Captain Marvel 2019
(12-04-2018, 05:35 AM)theryaney Wrote: They've released a second trailer:

For now it's a "meh" for me, I'm not sure what to say about it. However, as Marvel has continuously done, I hope I'll be pleasantly surprised.

As someone who knows absolutely nothing about the source material, I'm interested to see what Marvel is gonna introduce a character that if she's going to be the one to defeat Thanos a movie later in Avengers 4.

I also found it a bit meh worthy but Marvel has earned my trust. So I'll go see it regardless.
This looks really bland.
I also find it to seem rather bland thus far.

The 1990s setting is a nice touch, Samuel L. Jackson and Jude Law seem like they will both be compelling, Clark Gregg will almost definitely be fun as a younger Agent Coulson, and the Skrulls are promising villains. But nothing so far has sold me on anything other than that. I'm not even particularly sold on the action so far. Other than the fight when Carol is in the green suit, it mostly looks like a bunch of sparkly CGI energy field/beam effects with nothing to make it feel visceral.

I guess I can see how those who have liked all of Marvel's movies so far might still be optimistic, but as someone who found "Thor: Ragnarok" horrible and "Spider-Man: Homecoming" mediocre as a movie and terrible as a Spider-Man adaptation, my trust in Marvel has been waning since about 2017.
Courage, men! we've not sunk before, and we'll not sink now!
Oh brother.  Rolleyes
^^ I don't even want to go near that video.

Every time I've been to the cinema in the last few weeks they've played this new (UK only?) trailer for the film which I weirdly cannot find online. It makes the film look really good and has got me pretty jazzed to watch 'Captain Marvel' now.
(02-18-2019, 05:18 PM)TM2YC Wrote: ^^ I don't even want to go near that video.

Every time I've been to the cinema in the last few weeks they've played this new (UK only?) trailer for the film which I weirdly cannot find online. It makes the film look really good and has got me pretty jazzed to watch 'Captain Marvel' now.

I’ve got about as much excitement for this as for any superhero movie these days. Which is to say, not much. But I’m so tired of the fanboys whining that the girls are ruining their fun.

It's a Midnight's Edge video. As usual, their take is very objective and balanced. It doesn't promote a partisan viewpoint. It just collates the relevant information about the movie's allegedly falling box office projections and the controversy surrounding Brie Larson's statements, and speculates dispassionately about whether the choice to avoid an apolitical marketing campaign (like those for "Wonder Woman" and "Alita: Battle Angel", both of which avoided any significant backlash) and instead focus on identity politics (such as those present in Brie Larson's recent statements and an increasing amount of the movie's marketing materials) will have a positive or negative effect at the box office (as the video points out, there is precedent for either outcome). The video doesn't take a position one way or another, merely presenting its viewers with the facts so they can make up their own minds about how well the movie is likely to do financially.

That's why I posted it here. I thought that some of the members here were likely familiar with the recent box office projection uncertainty and the controversy over Larson's statements, and might be interested in the video's even-handed examination of how it might all work out for Marvel financially. I wouldn't have posted a video with a partisan or controversial take on the subject.

Quote:Every time I've been to the cinema in the last few weeks they've played this new (UK only?) trailer for the film which I weirdly cannot find online. It makes the film look really good and has got me pretty jazzed to watch 'Captain Marvel' now.

Is this the one?

(02-18-2019, 07:51 PM)hbenthow Wrote:

It's a Midnight's Edge video. As usual, their take is very objective and balanced. It doesn't promote a partisan viewpoint. It just collates the relevant information about the movie's allegedly falling box office projections and the controversy surrounding Brie Larson's statements, and speculates dispassionately about whether the choice to avoid an apolitical marketing campaign (like those for "Wonder Woman" and "Alita: Battle Angel", both of which avoided any significant backlash) and instead focus on identity politics (such as those present in Brie Larson's recent statements and an increasing amount of the movie's marketing materials) will have a positive or negative effect at the box office (as the video points out, there is precedent for either outcome). The video doesn't take a position one way or another, merely presenting its viewers with the facts so they can make up their own minds about how well the movie is likely to do financially.

That's why I posted it here. I thought that some of the members here were likely familiar with the recent box office projection uncertainty and the controversy over Larson's statements, and might be interested in the video's even-handed examination of how it might all work out for Marvel financially. I wouldn't have posted a video with a partisan or controversial take on the subject.

Quote:Every time I've been to the cinema in the last few weeks they've played this new (UK only?) trailer for the film which I weirdly cannot find online. It makes the film look really good and has got me pretty jazzed to watch 'Captain Marvel' now.

That's pretty much what I thought. There is nothing "controversial" about this film, or TLJ, so however "objective" the video is, I'm not interested.

(02-18-2019, 07:51 PM)hbenthow Wrote: Is this the one?

No that's the trailer I described as "meh" a few posts back. I think the one on in UK cinemas is closest to this one in concept:

but recut and remixed to make it better/funnier/memorable, the music and finish is a bit more epic.
(02-18-2019, 07:51 PM)hbenthow Wrote:

It's a Midnight's Edge video. As usual, their take is very objective and balanced.
According to themselves.

Quote:It doesn't promote a partisan viewpoint. It just collates the relevant information about the movie's allegedly falling box office projections and the controversy surrounding Brie Larson's statements, and speculates dispassionately about whether the choice to avoid an apolitical marketing campaign (like those for "Wonder Woman" and "Alita: Battle Angel", both of which avoided any significant backlash) and instead focus on identity politics (such as those present in Brie Larson's recent statements and an increasing amount of the movie's marketing materials) will have a positive or negative effect at the box office (as the video points out, there is precedent for either outcome). The video doesn't take a position one way or another, merely presenting its viewers with the facts so they can make up their own minds about how well the movie is likely to do financially.

I think you've been duped. 

This channel sneakily posits itself as factual and unbiased, yet the big bold words on the video thumbnail suggest explicit bias. Even the title, for example. Why does a google search of "Brie Larson Controversy" produce only one-sided, politically-fueled results? I'll let you decide for yourself so as not to get in trouble for talking specifically about politics. I first saw this channel get posted a lot around prior to the release of the Ghostbusters 2016 remake. Then again following the release of The Last Jedi. Always seems suspicious to me.
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// IdeasIdea Central //
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////