• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi: Anti-Cringe-Cut:

MCP

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi: Anti-Cringe-Cut:

Let me start by saying, for me, any edit of TLJ must exclude Canto Bight. So this edit works for me, but obviously will not work for anyone who wants the Canto Bight sideplot. Overall this is a good edit and it comes close to my imagined perfect cut. But there are a few things I had trouble with and I'll list them below.

- The lightsaber exchange just didn’t work for me. I think I’d be happier with the toss.

- The cut between Luke with the fish and the beacon didn’t work for me.

- I don’t like the half truth Luke tells Rey in the temple by the reflecting pool. I’d rather the whole story be omitted with just Luke saying it was too late to save Ben.

- I’m not sure of the reason for the clip of the future Rey/Kylo interaction during the Rey/Luke fight. If you can explain why that's there I'd appreciate it. But it felt odd and unnecessary to me.

- The sound was off at the end of the Luke/Kylo standoff. I had to convert the file using Handbrake to be able to play on my AppleTV. So if this sound sync issue is a result of that, let me know and I'll amend my rating.

- The only big thing I miss is the final Luke/Leia scene.

- Of course, Leia dying on camera and Luke surviving could have serious continuity issues. This is a narrative issue, in my opinion, and is what really makes it hard for me to get with this edit.

Overall, the edit works and shows that there’s a good movie in there. Unfortunately, I feel like too much continuity is lost with the overall trilogy (I'm assuming). It’s not far off from my perfect edit, but it has some deal breakers for me. Between this and the Fallen Knight edit, I think I may be able to piece together my ideal version. I didn't hate TLJ and so far I've seen some edits that make it enjoyable. It's still not a great movie, but if you can live with the continuity issues, this is a vast improvement over the theatrical.

https://ifdb.fanedit.org/star-wars-episode-viii-the-last-jedi-anti-cringe-cut/discussions/9977/

Back
Top Bottom