• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi: Anti-Cringe-Cut:

MCP

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi: Anti-Cringe-Cut:

This edit was pretty good. The way the Poe/Holdo subplot was handled was great and the inclusion of the deleted scene where Luke talks to the island native and gives Rey a strange look was a nice addition (I'm actually kind of upset that isn't in the actual movie).

I do have some problems though. A lot of smaller cuts did feel noticeable but that's probably because I'm flirting with my own TLJ edit and I know this film a bit too well. I know Canto Bight is a point of contention among fans but I think it and the original Poe/Holdo subplot should be left in. Not because they were particular amazing, it's just without them this film just feels kind of anemic and not really "Episode 8". I thought viewing an edit with them removed will change my mind it only really reaffirmed it. The Luke/Rey and Kylo/Snoke plots are really good already so it's not too bad (and again the way the Poe/Holdo plot was done works well). I also didn't like Luke's force vision. It seemed just seemed out of place. Maybe I'm misinterpreting it, but we already know Luke knows Rey may turn to the dark side. Why would he need to be reminded by Yoda to stand down? Hell even if he didn't know why would he need to be reminded to stand down at all? I think the theatrical cut worked fine and this just didn't really work for me. Leia's death felt off too. I think a different music track being played here could've helped sell it. The cut directly to Luke in the Falcon just made it feel less authentic. But also with the limited footage it would be a hard sell to begin with.

The removal of Canto Bight, the original Poe/Holdo subplot, and Leia actually dying have a kind of domino affect the rest of the film. Especially the ending. The ending feels incomplete. Not only with Crait as Finn and Rose are just sort of their all the sudden. But when the resistance is on the Falcon it feels like there really should be more and it just feels abrupt. Luke being alive at the end doesn't help either since I really was okay with him dying. But thus is the limitations of a fan edit. Especially one with characters dying/living unlike the theatrical cut. This is mostly my fault as I know these characters aren't really dead/alive going into episode 9. It's just kind of outputting. It will be interesting to see how episode 9 turns out and if DonKamillo will do an edit and what they'll edit. If I end up enjoying that, I think that's when I'll be more comfortable with these somewhat radical edits.

If none of the points I bring up turn you away then I can recommend this to you. But for me it's less than perfect edit of TLJ.

https://ifdb.fanedit.org/star-wars-episode-viii-the-last-jedi-anti-cringe-cut/discussions/9974/

Back
Top Bottom