• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Remix by modernknife

If you have watched this fanedit, please rate it here:

• 10 stars (awesome)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9 stars

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • 8 stars

• 7 stars

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • 6 stars (average)

• 5 stars

• 4 stars

• 3 stars

• 2 stars

• 1 star (atrocious)

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Remix
by modernknife

What kind of fanedit: TF

original film name: Kill Bill Vol. 1 and Kill Bill Vol. 2
new film name : KILL BILL: The Whole Bloody Remix
film studio name : Miramax
edit crew name : modernknife
Date Original Film Was Released : 2003/2004
Date Edit Was Released : 2008
Original Runtime : 245m
New Runtime : 213m

Amount of time Cut/Added
: 35 minutes

Cuts removed/added/extended :
--Removed scene with Budd at work and talk with boss
--Added new title card for "The Lonely Grave of Paula Shultz"
--Removed a few lines at the gravesite with Budd
--Removed a few lines of Ellie talking with Budd
--Removed a few lines with Bill & Bride outside Pai Mei's
--Added clips from classic Shaw Brothers films with Pai Mei over the campfire sequence with Bill & Bride.
--Removed Bride and the Pimp scene and replaced with deleted scene with Bill and Bride in the marketplace. This now appears as a flashback as Bride drives to Bill in Final Chapter
--No end credits, just the Written & Directed By credit.

Fanedit details
: DVD NTSC Dual Layer 2.0 Stereo

Intention for this fanedit:
1. To make KILL BILL a single sitting 3 1/2 hour experience.
2. Add clips of Pai Mei from classic Shaw Brothers films over the campfire sequence according to Tarantino's original screenplay.

Hardware and software information : Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio Pro

Time needed for the edition: 1 day
persons involved: 1

Other Info:
1. Japanese cut for Vol. 1
2. American cut for Vol. 2
3. Added Expanded PaiMei sequence
4. Added bonus Bill scene in marketplace before Bride meets Bill in Final Chapter.

Additional Comment:
This is different from both THE WHOLE BLOODY AFFAIR cut and Jorge's Kill Bill X cut, which also had some Pai Mei clips -- but does not cover the entire campfire sequence. I think the campfire sequence between Bride and Bill plays differently with the addition of the clips. It also sets up Pai Mei's character a bit better. It was in QT's original script to use clips from original Pai Mei films -- but he never followed through in the films.

To watch the Pai Mei sequence:
"]

Sadly I have to disapprove this edit.
reason: technical (wrong aspect ratio)

I did not even have a chance to watch this yet (regardless it still does look very promising). Below is a comparision picture with the correct film on top and this edit's aspect ratio on the bottom and my reason why this occured

45716bltn0.jpg

What has happened here is that Modernknife hardcoded the movie for the scenes that used english subtitles, however he still wanted this to be anamorphic. What he did wrong was during the encoding process instead of clipping the picture from the top and bottom a certain amount of pixels (suually between 60-80) he just re-encoded it as 16x9 without any picture trimming. Now when this is played it squishes the picture down even further and this results in the image you see above.

my other own petty issue is that this disc is close to the 8gig limit for dual layer and that is mainly because he used LPCM sound for the whole thing. Converting that to an ac3 at 256 brings the disc size down to less than 6 gigs.

pity.
the lpcm issue though is not a big one, since it was compressed to a bit more than 6Gb in winrar. Surroudn sound would have been nice though.
Back to IN THE WORKS...

bugger! i already Dl'ed this but havent had a chance to watch it yet :(

for collectability I am backing it up right now, but yeah damn shame about this

if you play it in MPC you can use the force AR option to change to 16:9 and it looks really good so...

if the whole movie is in the squashed format (i cant get my copy to play at the moment so i cant check) then it should be fairly easy to run it through vdub to reframe and then output to CCE or something?

of course it is easy to fix, but I should not be the one having to fix it. The editor should have payed more attention and noticed his whole first film looks a bit squahsed

oh totally! but is Modernknife gonna address this issue and get it fixed?

im gonna convert my version anyway so if he doesnt get around to it i'll reup a v2 plus i'll also convert the sound to ac3 to save a few gigs of space since that was something else that needed addressing.

OK V2 is now done.

Changes:-

1 Aspect Ratio Corrected

2 Converted LPCM Audio to AC3 @ 192Kbits

3 5 Pass CCE Re-encode to convert to SL DVD

4 Added an about screen explaining what i have done and crediting Modernknife as the original editor.

Since i was gonna redo the audio to save a gig or so of space i decided i'd convert to SL as well as there would be little drop in picture quality and would save on download time.

I did rip out the animated menus and audio as that was more space i could use for the video track and replaced with a simple static menu utilising the same graphics etc.

I have tested this on my 37" and it looks good. just need to find the time to watch the damn thing now! :)

ok im having second thoughts about the SL release.

after converting the sound to ac3. the whole thing would end up being about 5.2 - 5.4 Gb which isn't too far off a SL anyway.

so, would people prefer a DL with slightly better picture quality and Modernknifes nice animated menu?

or

the SL with not quite as good picture quality and static menus?

or

Both?

EDIT: im gonna grab some screenshots for comparison.

the SL is ready to go and just needs a quick run through DVDLab again to iron out a bug in the chapters menu but for the DL i will need to get my head around DVD Rebuilder and work out how to add the corrected video streams back into the project without mucking up the menus.

does a simple walkthrough already exist for this or can someone point me to a good starting point?

I would use vobblanker for video and audio replacement inside a DVD structure.

I think DL is the way to go for such a long movie.

i agree with you boon, its hardly a massive DL disc after the audio conversion.

anyway here are the screens

Original @ 3500kbps

origih0.png

SL Version @ 2500kbps

17987069id1.png

as you can see the SL image is ok but it loses the fine detail especially on the brides eyebrow.

ok im off to do some research on vobblanker

ok V2 project is finished. i will (assuming no complications) be watching this tonight for approval purposes and then pending approval will head over to linktalk.

i still have the single layer version if anyone is interested but unless there is significant interest i will only be releasing the DL version.

--Removed Bride and the Pimp scene
Wait, the other Michael Parks scene?? Esteban? You can't do that! It's Michael Freakin' Parks we're talking about here!

Apart from that, this looks very nice. Possibly even better than the 4 hour version doing the rounds.

Michael Parks realising he's been fanedited out:

Card54Front.jpg

I want him... crucified.

Just wanted to let modernknife know that I have this downloaded. Will give a review soon, hopefully this weekend.

This edit is a success for a number of reasons.

Technical: modernknife has emerged Accomplished. This edit contained no hard or quick cuts, or even audio glitches as far as I could hear. Audio seemed a little low in a few scenes but nothing bad enough to remember specifically. 4.5/5 (Wasn't a whole lot of complicated edts, so wouldn't hit even a 4.5 but the Shaw sequence is sick and honestly all that needed an edit got one so +.5 . Basically perfect but not exceptional enough to claim a 5.)

Worthwhile Edits: The edits were successful in crafting a pacing that can carry an audience for well over 3 hours. The first half unfolds seamlessly, as in truth nothing has been removed. We do get the whole colorful fight with the amazing Crazy 88 Sprinkler System intact. Then we have a shortened experience with Budd--this is good especially with the squicky 'she'sprettyhothuh' conversation subtracted, but even leaving out the bar was a good choice in terms of flow. The reduced dialog with Bill keeps him seeming more menacing. The Shaw brothers Pai Mei montage is quite good. modernknife is right, it does change the campfire sequence. The Pimp is not missed and the drive to Bill's house is much more tense with the inclusion of the sentimental-yet-menacing fight at the market place. 5/5

Audio: It is a well mixed Dolby 2.0. I don't have a 5.1 set up so this does not bother me, but means it can't achieve a 5. Otherwise: flawless. 4/5

Video: The video was well done. As mentioned earlier there were no obvious edits. The DL is crisp and clear--it is smaller than the full size of a DL though, which leads to wonder if it could have been even better. There were a few shots with the blades that had jaggy curves instead of smooth ones. Very Minimal complaint. 4.5/5

Presentation: No DVD cover of this, and the menu repeats much to fast. 3/5

Conclusion: If you like Kill Bill and want to see it in one sitting with impeccable tension, here is your edit. 4.5/5

18596830yi7.png

ab5tract said:
Video: The video was well done. As mentioned earlier there were no obvious edits. The DL is crisp and clear--it is smaller than the full size of a DL though, which leads to wonder if it could have been even better. There were a few shots with the blades that had jaggy curves instead of smooth ones. Very Minimal complaint. 4.5/5

thanks for taking the time to review this ab5tract i tried very hard to sit down and watch it but was never in the right mood as ive seen KB1 so many times its silly and i really didnt enjoy KB2 at all.

the video was reencoded at exactly the same rate as the original file the reason why it is a lot smaller is because i converted the LPCM Audio to AC3. upping the bitrate for the video would make absolutely no difference to the picture quality.

Cool, I figured as much.

You should check out the end of this though, and see if it eases your distaste for the second film. :)

Back
Top Bottom