• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Blade Runner: The Workprint

Daniel

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Blade Runner is a good film, but not a perfect film. A couple of days ago I viewed the Workprint - in its entirety without viewing any other versions (the other time I watched it was following a viewing of the Final Cut, and as a part of watching the other versions). This time I watched it on its own, having not watched (any version of) the film for many months. Firstly let's establish where we're starting from - there are three distinct release versions of the film - The theatrical cut/s, the director's cut and the final cut. This is a pre-release version that has been restored for DVD presentation, but was not originally intended for wide-release.

And it shows.

If you had not seen the movie before, and this was the first version you viewed you would be very confused by the end of the film. It is clear to see why Scott put in the voice over narration, and why the ending was changed. It's also clear why the Director's Cut was released in 1992 as this version of the film cannot hold a candle to it, or to the theatrical versions. This version can claim getting the number of replicants right ("two go fried through the electrical field") but is otherwise an unfinished job, and in dire need of adjustment. This is one of only a couple of things re-incorporated into the Final Cut. And it put an end to the silly notion that Deckard was one of the six replicants.

During Ridley Scott's introduction the film can clearly be seen being restored from a 70mm print that is missing around 1/4 of the picture from the top and bottom. I'm not confused as to why this is - the process involves converting an anamorphic image into an non-anamorphic image, and for some reason it can hold the full width but not the height - what does confuse me is how they restored the missing picture, unless the entire movie was restored scene-by-scene using the original 35mm negatives? Or maybe they used the 35mm master print that was blown-up to 70mm? In any case the technical quality is certainly acceptable for what this is - an old workprint.

When the Final Cut was made Harrison's son, Ben, lip-synced for the scene where Deckard talks to Abdul (the snake maker) because they "couldn't find any audio that synced correctly". This is probably because the scene wasn't originally intended to incorporate the full conversation, as in the Workprint it is truncated with most of the dialogue "silent". This is an example of what must have been a last-minute change to the theatrical version, realizing they'd made a mistake in trying to obscure the scene in the Workprint.

The entire second-half of the movie is quite rough, and the movie ends abruptly with Deckard helping Rachael to escape, and then finding the unicorn origami. In this version it doesn't mean Deckard is a replicant - but it does mean that Gaff has been in his apartment while he was out - similar to the Theatrical version, except that it's a much darker ending without the "escape into the sunset".

It is abundantly clear why this version was radically changed for theatrical release, I imagine the number one response from the unsuspecting "public" viewers was "what?" I do agree that the Final Cut of the film is the best version, however I do like the Theatrical version in its own right. It was, I believe, the first version I saw - and although I prefer the film without the narration, and without the happy ending - and with the unicorn scene - it is still a good cut, and much better than this workprint version. It has helped me to understand why the voice over was fully incorporated into the film. And yes the v/o is largely a failure for what it was intended to do, but it did provide some level of substance. At least now we can see why it was edited the way it was for theatre - they were trying to fix all the problems they had in the workprint.

It really feels megalomania around here..... and Im not talking only about you, Daniel. Blade Runner is good movie?....right! ...and which s-f movies are better?

Final Cut is perfect for me and with 2001, AI, Alien....Blade Runner is first league!

My opinion on Blade Runner has probably changed slightly, and I'd call it a 4.5 star movie (final cut) as opposed to a 5-star film. In fact, right now, I can only think of two films that deserve 5 stars... The Exorcist and Alien. So there's your answer - Alien is a better Sci-Fi movie.

I guess it all just depends on what criteria one uses for a rating.

For me, a five star film is anything that is so good that any negatives it may have pale in comparison to the positives.

Hence, Blade Runner is a fiver-starrer for me. Just like Alien. And a whole mess of other flicks. (Rating with 10 stars is easier. :) )

I can only think of two films that deserve 5 stars... The Exorcist and Alien
Someday somebody will explain to me why The Exorcist is so good...? (fatherMerrin anyone?)
I watched it (the 73' version) alone, in the dark, not a sound to disctract me, and I did not feel any tension or chill from this movie. It is (almost) directed like a documentary about an exorcism. I can't say it's a bad movie, it's just not scary at all IMO.

About BR, I still have to watch this workprint. This box set is amazing but is it true there are 45 minutes of delete scenes in it? I have it but I can't remember 45 fu...ing minutes of deleted scenes!
I guess I have to take another look at it soon!

TMBTM said:
Someday somebody will explain to me why The Exorcist is so good...? (fatherMerrin anyone?)
I watched it (the 73' version) alone, in the dark, not a sound to disctract me, and I did not feel any tension or chill from this movie. It is (almost) directed like a documentary about an exorcism. I can't say it's a bad movie, it's just not scary at all IMO.

Exorcist, Amityville Horror, The Serpent & The Rainbow, etc., only scare people that are heavily religious in the first place.

Ziz said:
TMBTM said:

Exorcist, Amityville Horror, The Serpent & The Rainbow, etc., only scare people that are heavily religious in the first place.

I completely disagree. I am an atheist and loved the Exorcist. I think there is a scare value in these religious horrors because we can associate with it whether we believe in it or not. Monsters, etc have no basis for us. And also, this is quite different than gore which I don't think is scary at all, but rather disturbing, and disgusting most times.

I am borderline atheist/agnostic and religious zealots (real and fictitious) scare the shit out of me.

examples - the preacher kid from there will be blood gave me chills and people like devout Scientologists and Baptists like Fred Phelps (the funeral picketer) are terrifying.

TMBTM said:
Someday somebody will explain to me why The Exorcist is so good...? (fatherMerrin anyone?)!

We did poll on the same exorcist fan website a while back & it turns out most hardcore exorcist fans watched the film before the age of 12. They tend to grow up with it etched in their memory & when they grow up & watch it again they then enjoy it in a new way because they're old enough to appreciate what a layered film it is. Most horror films don't hold up to that kind of scrutiny.

TMBTM I'm not saying you do this, but a lot of people who have watched the film who knew about the hype first tend to watch it with the attitude of "Come on then try & scare me" & then they go out of their way not to be scared. I mean if you went to see a comedy & went out of you way not to laugh, then of course you won't find the film funny. Under these circumstances no film will have an impact on it's audience.

Or they just didn't think it was scary. :wink:

Ziz said:

We did another rough poll on the exorcist fan website captainhowdy & it was roughly 50/50 between christians & atheists. I myself was brought up a catholic but have been an atheist since my teens.

Ziz, I suppose if The Exorcist was released for the 1st time today you would probably be right.

Back to the main subject, Blade Runner Rules!!! 8)

Back
Top Bottom