• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Removing hardcoded text from video (e.g., subtitles, credits)

kt7000

Reaction score
Trophy Points
im working on an edit of kill bill and want to remove the text that's shown at the beginning of chapter 2 that says "four years and six months earlier in the city of el paso, texas" is there an adobe program or any other video editing software that can do it?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Could you post a screenshot?

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you're talking about text that's burned on you probably either need to crop it out or export that section as a sequence of images and Photoshop it out of each frame. Unless After Effects has a way of doing it?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ I looked at the shot in question and it's not possible to remove without painting the text out frame-by-frame. If people weren't throwing changing shadows over the scene it would simpler. To me the parts of the shot without the text are quite long enough to sustain.

kt7000

Reaction score
Trophy Points
do I use adobe after effects for that, photoshop fill/content-aware, or a whole other software?

RollWave

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
there is no software that will clean that up. Even if you edited it out frame by frame, the frames wouldn't match up one to the next, it would be all wobbly/blurry at all the edges that don't quite match up or with colors that are close but not quite.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It sounds like your best option would be to edit around the text somehow, rather than trying to remove it.

kt7000

Reaction score
Trophy Points
im going to try adobe after effects cc using the clone stamp tool

Solid11

Reaction score
Trophy Points
All the Clone stamp tool will do, is literally clone a section and stamp it over another section - then gradually combine the 2 elements to match. You need something "clean" to clone to replace over the text. If someone's head is obscured under text in 1 frame, you need a clean shot of that head as a source in another frame. And even if you had that - if there were any motion, it would then need to be animated. That's a LOT of manual work.

I would agree with Frink; sadly your best bet is to edit around that text.

(I don't mean "sadly, I agree with Frink"... :p)

Rembo92

Reaction score
Trophy Points
You'll never get perfect results removing the text because the image behind the text isn't retrievable. You could spend hours doings as good a clone stamp job as humanly possible, but it will still be noticable because of much text you have to remove from each frame. Doesn't the text go away later in the shot? if not I think theres a similar shot in Kill Bill 2 without text. I could be wrong on that one though.

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not to sound like a jerk, but several people have said it just wouldn't work and your best bet is to edit around it. I think that kinda tells it like it is.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
musiced921 said:
Not to sound like a jerk, but several people have said it just wouldn't work and your best bet is to edit around it. I think that kinda tells it like it is.
Who are you responding to? This thread was dormant for a month.

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Lol I didn't even see when the initial posts were made. I saw Rembo say something and I thought this was an active conversation.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sometimes foreign language versions have no titles, or different titles. Sometimes a version at a different aspect-ratio may be available with titles in a different place on the screen, allowing for masking. Apart from that, it's painting/masking them out. What cartoon are you talking about?

TinyBreadMouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Sometimes foreign language versions have no titles, or different titles. Sometimes a version at a different aspect-ratio may be available with titles in a different place on the screen, allowing for masking. Apart from that, it's painting/masking them out. What cartoon are you talking about?

Oh yeah, sorry, that might be important info lol.

The 2003 animated Teen Titans series. I've been chewing over an idea to turn the first season (which is the only season so far with a BD release) into a 90 minute film that condenses the story.

Unfortunately for me, after the initial opening sequence, the title of the episode will show on screen with additional tags for directors and writers (I think, am not sure, would need to go over the footage). There is a good chance I wouldn't actually need that footage and can just skip over it entirely, but who knows. I haven't begun work on the edit yet (and likely won't for a long time since I'd need to rewatch the season).

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
In most cases when I’ve been faced with the hard coded credits dilemma, I zoom in to crop out the credits. You lose some quality from the picture, but it works.

TinyBreadMouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
musiced921 said:
In most cases when I’ve been faced with the hard coded credits dilemma, I zoom in to crop out the credits. You lose some quality from the picture, but it works.

I also considered that. I really hate cropping, but if there is no other way then of course I'll have to.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Could you post a screenshot of one such credit please, so we can see what you are talking about?

Top Bottom