• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Topher Grace Is There and Back Again

MCP

Reaction score
Trophy Points
14HOBBIT-jumbo.jpg

This is the discussion thread for Topher Grace Is There and Back Again. Post away!

Most people know that Topher Grace made an 85-minute cut of the Star Wars prequels and Curb Your Enthusiasm, something he did to teach himself film editing. While the latter is available online, the former has only been shown privately. Well,  we can now add a third Topher Grace edit to that list: The Hobbit.

As IndieWire reports, the actor has taken it upon himself to edit down the 8-hour trilogy into a neat and tidy 2-hour film. Why did he do it? After playing David Duke in Spike Lee's BlacKkKlansman, he needed something to decompress. "It's like doing woodwork in my garage," Grace says. There's already a movement on Twitter to get it released via the hashtag #ReleaseTheGraceCut.

You can read more of his interview at Indiewire.

mrbenja0618

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It actually pisses me off. He's going to promote it and talk all about it, but no one will see it.

Why not come up with an alias and release it?

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
his fanediting alias should be. . . gopher trace.
nobody will suspect.

as for not releasing it, maybe he’s adhering to his inner “own the source” ethic.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If Topher Grace, a world famous actor, did release his edits, I'm pretty sure most people wouldn't adhere to the "own the source" rule and download it anyway. They would pop up in pirate sites. And Grace would probably be in trouble.

Unless of course he shared links only to private messages and indisputable proof that they owned the source. But this time, being the world famous actor he is, he would get flooded with messages and he can't deal with that in his busy schedule.

Therefore, I don't think it's that easy for him to release them. Now, promoting the edits he won't release (I honestly don't see the point) and the idea of coming up with an alias and releasing them, these I agree with.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If anything, Grace's projects tend to inspire copycats, as proven by the craze surrounding the 3-in-1 SW trilogy.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Maybe one of the copycats is him, releasing a slightly modified version under a pseudonym.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
Maybe one of the copycats is him, releasing a slightly modified version under a pseudonym.

Lol I thought that too :)

So we should look for a new Hobbit fan edit soon :D

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Masirimso17 said:
So we should look for a new Hobbit fan edit soon :D

You don't look for Hobbit fanedits. You trip over them.

Problem Eliminator

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think it's cool he does edits and talks about them, it's a good way to bring more awareness to the hobby.

TinyBreadMouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Problem Eliminator said:
I think it's cool he does edits and talks about them, it's a good way to bring more awareness to the hobby.

Agreed. Awareness brings new editors.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It does take the general public a few clicks to get from "I am familiar with the concept of movies" to "I own the Blu-ray" to "I have video editing capability in the computer I already own" to "I can change/fix a movie and produce something professional looking". It's just not something that crosses most peoples' minds until they're shown it can be done. Awareness is a plus. 

The quality and substance of the Topher Grace edits have a certain mystique to them not unlike the meaning behind a David Lynch film, or the accuracy of Jurassic Park's dinosaurs, in that you'll simply never really know.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
for all we know, he could be a lurker here, soaking up editing discussions and @"Rogue-theX"’s philosophical musings. :D

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
MCP said:
As IndieWire reports, the actor has taken it upon himself to edit down the 8-hour trilogy into a neat and tidy 2-hour film. 

Is it really possible to cut all 3 Hobbit movies down to 2 hours and it still be narratively cohesive?

With all the 3-in-1 hobbit edits I've seen, anything below 4 hours has felt off to me and more than a little rushed in places. 4-4.5 hours/2 parts seems to be the sweet spot.

douchebag

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
MCP said:
As IndieWire reports, the actor has taken it upon himself to edit down the 8-hour trilogy into a neat and tidy 2-hour film. 

Is it really possible to cut all 3 Hobbit movies down to 2 hours and it still be narratively cohesive?

With all the 3-in-1 hobbit edits I've seen, anything below 4 hours has felt off to me and more than a little rushed in places. 4-4.5 hours/2 parts seems to be the sweet spot.

That's because all the 3 in 1 edits are still editing the "Hobbit movie" and not editing it into something else, if you get my meaning. They still have the same tone, same pacing, same flow of scenes etc. Editing it down to 2 hours would require changing the style of the trilogy so radically that the only way for it to make sense is for it to breeze by in a couple of hours instead of four. I'm guessing a 2 hour edit of the trilogy would be something similar to the pacing of the animated Hobbit cartoon. I could be done, it just requires some very clever edits, change of tone, focus and music.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ssj said:
for all we know, he could be a lurker here, soaking up editing discussions and @"Rogue-theX"’s philosophical musings. :D

Such an act would indeed be a towering mark of intelligence and wisdom, worth putting on a resume. No one can philawsphize like the rouge can. KNOWONE!
My alcoholic wookie on earth finding gold for rich companies musing would make a great thriller. Not sure if his Grace has the chops to film that shit tho, you need to understand the Wookie, not just depict it, you need to really crawl inside the Wookies head, only there can one truly grasp the fundamental beauty and serenity that is the Wookie.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
douchebag said:
The Scribbling Man said:
MCP said:

That's because all the 3 in 1 edits are still editing the "Hobbit movie" and not editing it into something else, if you get my meaning. They still have the same tone, same pacing, same flow of scenes etc. Editing it down to 2 hours would require changing the style of the trilogy so radically that the only way for it to make sense is for it to breeze by in a couple of hours instead of four. I'm guessing a 2 hour edit of the trilogy would be something similar to the pacing of the animated Hobbit cartoon. I could be done, it just requires some very clever edits, change of tone, focus and music.

I just recently watched the animated Hobbit with my kids because we just finished reading the book. The animated Hobbit is way too fast in my opinion. I get that it was a TV movie so it’s runtime was necessary, but editing the trilogy to match that pacing would not be a good edit IMO.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
douchebag said:
The Scribbling Man said:
MCP said:

I just recently watched the animated Hobbit with my kids because we just finished reading the book. The animated Hobbit is way too fast in my opinion. I get that it was a TV movie so it’s tuntike was necessary

tenor.gif

douchebag

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
douchebag said:
The Scribbling Man said:
MCP said:

I just recently watched the animated Hobbit with my kids because we just finished reading the book. The animated Hobbit is way too fast in my opinion. I get that it was a TV movie so it’s runtime was necessary, but editing the trilogy to match that pacing would not be a good edit IMO.

Yea I think it is way too fast paced too, but it could be used as a framework if any editor's intent was to cut it down to a very quick movie. The animated movie loses a lot of the details in the book, but they do get some things right. For example, the use of voice-over and montages helps to alleviate some of the "episodic" feel of the movie and it helps to smoothen the visual editing, and it also explains why the characters are at where they are.

GaryRamos

Reaction score
Trophy Points
On the off chance that Topher Grace, a world celebrated on-screen character, released his alters, I'm almost certain a great many people wouldn't hold fast to the "claim the source" control and download it at any rate. They would fly up in privateer destinations. What's more, Grace would presumably be in a bad position.

Top Bottom