If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

Topher Grace Is There and Back Again
[Image: 14HOBBIT-jumbo.jpg?w=780]

This is the discussion thread for Topher Grace Is There and Back Again. Post away!

Most people know that Topher Grace made an 85-minute cut of the Star Wars prequels and Curb Your Enthusiasm, something he did to teach himself film editing. While the latter is available online, the former has only been shown privately. Well,  we can now add a third Topher Grace edit to that list: The Hobbit.

As IndieWire reports, the actor has taken it upon himself to edit down the 8-hour trilogy into a neat and tidy 2-hour film. Why did he do it? After playing David Duke in Spike Lee's BlacKkKlansman, he needed something to decompress. "It's like doing woodwork in my garage," Grace says. There's already a movement on Twitter to get it released via the hashtag #ReleaseTheGraceCut.

You can read more of his interview at Indiewire.
It actually pisses me off. He's going to promote it and talk all about it, but no one will see it.

Why not come up with an alias and release it?
his fanediting alias should be. . . gopher trace.
nobody will suspect.

as for not releasing it, maybe he’s adhering to his inner “own the source” ethic.
If Topher Grace, a world famous actor, did release his edits, I'm pretty sure most people wouldn't adhere to the "own the source" rule and download it anyway. They would pop up in pirate sites. And Grace would probably be in trouble.

Unless of course he shared links only to private messages and indisputable proof that they owned the source. But this time, being the world famous actor he is, he would get flooded with messages and he can't deal with that in his busy schedule.

Therefore, I don't think it's that easy for him to release them. Now, promoting the edits he won't release (I honestly don't see the point) and the idea of coming up with an alias and releasing them, these I agree with.
If anything, Grace's projects tend to inspire copycats, as proven by the craze surrounding the 3-in-1 SW trilogy.
Maybe one of the copycats is him, releasing a slightly modified version under a pseudonym.
(08-03-2018, 10:50 AM)TVs Frink Wrote: Maybe one of the copycats is him, releasing a slightly modified version under a pseudonym.

Lol I thought that too Smile

So we should look for a new Hobbit fan edit soon Big Grin
(08-03-2018, 12:07 PM)Masirimso17 Wrote: So we should look for a new Hobbit fan edit soon Big Grin

You don't look for Hobbit fanedits. You trip over them.
I think it's cool he does edits and talks about them, it's a good way to bring more awareness to the hobby.
(08-03-2018, 02:41 PM)Problem Eliminator Wrote: I think it's cool he does edits and talks about them, it's a good way to bring more awareness to the hobby.

Agreed. Awareness brings new editors.
Pending Approval: Superman: Last Son
In-The-Works: Wonder Woman Fanfix
In-The-Works (Inactive) Go Go Power Rangers: Mighty Morphin' Edition
Fanedit Ideas: Batman: The Long Decade/Teen Titans: The Apprentice/Halloween: The Un-Zombie'd Loomis Cut
---
"The best canon is your bookshelf, what you think is good enough to own." - Unknown Internet Stranger