• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

DC's Shazam

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I loved that.  It is the first time in a while I can say I’m not only looking forsward to a superhero movie but also actively “intrigued” in the film.  This looks like it could be a masterpiece.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hhmmm..... 

On the surface, very bright and seemingly funny.  It appears to be Geoff John's rebooted version of the character/origin, which was good though but it did lack much of the charm of the Bill Parker/CC Beck creation.

The suit, while I love it's brightness and comic book accuracy, it is so obviously overly padded it makes me cringe a bit.  What will it look like in close up action shots?

Will they use the Captain Marvel name or just stay with Shazam?  Will the rest of the Marvel Family show up?  How about Tawny the talking tiger?

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
hhmmm..... 

On the surface, very bright and seemingly funny.  It appears to be Geoff John's rebooted version of the character/origin, which was good though but it did lack much of the charm of the Bill Parker/CC Beck creation.

The suit, while I love it's brightness and comic book accuracy, it is so obviously overly padded it makes me cringe a bit.  What will it look like in close up action shots?

Will they use the Captain Marvel name or just stay with Shazam?  Will the rest of the Marvel Family show up?  How about Tawny the talking tiger?

He's just called Shazam. So that leads to the problem of how anyone else is supposed to know his name, since introducing himself would also depower himself. I think in the New 52 comics he has to say it like he means it or something for the change to happen, which I think is bending the rule so much that you might as well get rid of the rule.

They could have cleared this name thing up a long time ago and renamed them the Thunder family. Captain Thunder I think has a great classic ring to it. It's not mine, I didn't come up with it, just heard it once as a suggested alternative. Goes along with the already established iconography too. Alas.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
He's just called Shazam. So that leads to the problem of how anyone else is supposed to know his name, since introducing himself would also depower himself. I think in the New 52 comics he has to say it like he means it or something for the change to happen, which I think is bending the rule so much that you might as well get rid of the rule.

They could have cleared this name thing up a long time ago and renamed them the Thunder family. Captain Thunder I think has a great classic ring to it. It's not mine, I didn't come up with it, just heard it once as a suggested alternative. Goes along with the already established iconography too. Alas.

DC actually has used the Captain Thunder name a couple of times as a Captain Marvel substitute, in 1974 Superman #276 and the more recent Flashpoint mini-series.   So it could work.   Though I am still mad that DC blinked, instead of standing its ground and keeping the name Captain Marvel.

Then again, this whole mess is DC's fault since they originally sued Fawcett Comics in the 1950s (mostly because Captain Marvel titles were out selling Superman, though they claimed CM was a rip off of their IP), and put them out of business and then had the gall to buy up the characters for their own purposes.

My one big hope for the SHAZAM! movie is it will lead to DC issuing reprint collections of the Marvel Family.  I know they have already announced (and I have pre-ordered!!!) the classic (and controversial)  MONSTER SOCIETY OF EVIL serial.   :D  We need more classic Big Red Cheese!

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Canon Editor said:
I loved that.  It is the first time in a while I can say I’m not only looking forsward to a superhero movie but also actively “intrigued” in the film.  This looks like it could be a masterpiece.

And yet I have never felt Superhero Fatigue more. So he's got (roughly) the powers of Superman, the mind of a kid, and the origin of a Lantern. So? Will the actual battle against the inevitable similarly powered villain really be that different than if he were a Lantern or Superman, or will it just be hitting and punching?

Also, I'm getting really sick of cartoonishly physically abusive bullies whaling on kids at the movies. Maybe I'm wrong, but I really don't think this happens much anymore. Sure, teasing is an intergenerational constant, but actual beatings seem like a thing of the past, and a cheap screenwriting ploy for easy audience sympathy. Apparently in A Wrinkle in Time, the young protagonist is mercilessly teased because her father went missing and is presumed dead, which... no? That's not a thing kids commonly blame other kids for, and even if one particular creep did, others would be actively sympathetic to make up for it, I think.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
Also, I'm getting really sick of cartoonishly physically abusive bullies whaling on kids at the movies. Maybe I'm wrong, but I really don't think this happens much anymore. 

Sorry.  You are wrong.

It still happens.

Billy Batson

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just saying “Shazam” no longer results in Billy’s transformation to or from the superhero formerly known as Captain Marvel. He has to say it with the intent of transforming. According to the DC reboot rules.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Billy Batson said:
Just saying “Shazam” no longer results in Billy’s transformation to or from the superhero formerly known as Captain Marvel. He has to say it with the intent of transforming. According to the DC reboot rules.

Has the New52/Rebirth DC introduced the rest of the Marvel... er, I mean, Shazam Family?

What do Freddy and Mary call themselves?  Captain Shazam Jr?  Mary Shazam???

Billy Batson

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
In the new continuity, Billy lives with a foster family who have five other foster children: Freddy, Mary, Darla, Eugene, and Pedro. Billy transforms them all into the Shazam family by saying the magic word. After the transformation, Pedro asks if they are “Shazams” now, and Billy says that he thinks so. 

The new continuity has appeared in a limited series so far, so I’m not sure how the rules for the family will play out. A continuing series is scheduled to start in November, so maybe we’ll learn more later.
image1.png

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
tumblr_mw0k5iNC2i1qbcb48o6_250.gif

Wow, I really have turned into a grumpy old fanboy.   :D :p

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Another soulless remake.  The original version starring Sinbad was fine the way it was.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Second trailer....
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y063UgFBMw[/video]

Looks fun!

Happily the trailer is mostly spoiler free, keeping the actual plot very vague.
:D

revel911

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Saw the early preview on Saturday.

I had a blast with the movie. The bad guy was better than most, but not perfect. The bad guy has some spotty CGI related to his powers, but that is almost where my complaints end.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Reviews are rolling in and they are mostly very positive....

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP-kEUEZ1QY[/video]

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsL0SPRw7g4&t=203s[/video]

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHR2vXW32QU[/video]

:D

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
LOVED it!  Origin stories are hard to do in a post-Avengers world, but this was a great ride from start to finish.  This movie, along with Aquaman and WW1984 will certainly put DC on a better path with future releases.

There's a mid-credits and post-credits scene, so stay after the movie ends.

The mid-credits scene is the setup for a sequel while the post-credits scene is just for fun.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just returned from seeing Captain Marvel.... er, umm, I mean SHAZAM! (I don't know if I will ever adapt lol), and my thoughts on the movie are quite conflicted.  I am definitely harder on DC movies than Marvel, since I have a stronger emotional connection to DC lore.  And the original Fawcett Captain Marvel in particular is a fundamental building block of my childhood, so it is difficult for me to judge this movie on it's own merits and what I wanted out of it.

And let me be honest, there is a vast chasm between the movie I wanted and the movie I got.

I wanted less Geoff Johns and more Otto Binder.  I wanted more whimsy.  I wanted more fantasy.  I wanted talking rabbits and tigers, oh my.... The first post credit scene; now that is the movie I wanted to see!

This is visually a very grounded movie.  So don't go in expecting Aquaman-style visuals or colours.  The movie is set at Christmas time, and yet, the cinematography palette is dull, sullied and lifeless.  It looks like the last shackles of the Snyder vision.

The tone of the movie is odd in many places.  This is clearly a movie aimed at a younger audience, but I was surprised by some of the graphic violence and the ongoing negative Santa gag.... 

The villains.... I will be blunt, I did not like the reimagining of Dr. Sivana at all.  It was just too Lex Luthor.  Plus, I think it might be time for Mark Strong to retire from playing villains, as I found him completely one note and shockingly dull, bringing nothing new or fresh to his performance.  And then there are the Seven Deadly Sins... the first strike against them they are CGI monsters, but the biggest sin (get it? see what I did there?) is they have zero individual personality.  I mean it is sooooo obvious, each Sin's name should have opened the door to some creative gags and moments.... but they are nothing more than completely inter changeable killing machines.  Such a lost opportunity.

The Shazam suit.... I was hoping the trailers were misleading me... but it looks like a padded suit.  I did not believe for a second it was actual muscle....lol.  The suit just did not work for me.  But then again, when I was six and watching the George Reeves reruns I never realized his suit was padded, so there is that...

But I don't want to it seem like I hated this movie because I did not.

As many critics have said, there is a refreshing joy to this movie.  Zachary Levi is delightful and funny.  The core theme of Family works wonderfully and is the heart of this movie.  In fact, it is this theme that elevates the Third Act from the pitfalls of other super hero movies.

It was a fun movie.  My theatre was full and I would estimate over half the audience was between the ages of 6 and 14, and they were all laughing and cheering throughout.  And I am looking forward to seeing it again now that my expectations are out of the way to see how I react.

It is not the Captain Marvel...er Captain Thunder... Sparklefingers???... it is not the movie as an old Fanboy I hoped or wanted, but for a new younger audience it might be hero they need.

7 out of 10 for me.   :D

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watched Shazam today, and I rather liked it. I personally preferred Aquaman, but I liked Shazam regardless (I think the name: Shazam suits the character more than Captain Marvel) and I look forward to seeing how to DCEU movies forward.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A gorgeous new poster has appeared, though it is does spoil a major plot point....

...So don't look if you don't want to know :p :angel:

yoJHv8z.jpg

Top Bottom