• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

File Format

ChainsawAsh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was just curious for Mac editors out there - what is your preferred file format for editing? I'm an editing student at Columbia College Chicago, and own Avid Media Composer 3.0, but I'm very early on in the editing program, so I'm not entirely sure what the best format is to be editing in.

Should I use one of Avid's proprietary codecs, or find a lossless codec somewhere else, or what? What I'd like to do is go from the DVD, rip with MTR, convert with MPEG Streamclip or something similar into a format that I can edit with in Avid, then export in the same format to a file which I can burn to a dual-layer DVD with as close to no quality loss as possible.

Once I get it into Avid, I'm fine with the editing process, I just need some advice in the initial setting-up part.

JMB

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Avid file format will probably be Avid DNX HD. MPEG Streamclip should allow you to convert it if the Avid codecs are loaded on the computer.

Top Bottom