• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Dark Knight screws the Blu-Ray-less

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As far as I had heard only the two History Channel specials on TDK would be exclusive to the Blu-Ray edition but I just popped in my two-disc edition of the DVD that I got for Christmas and noticed that they did more than screw us on those two specials. I was over at my friend's house yesterday and we took a look at his copy of the film on Blu-Ray and it also includes the IMAX featurette and the clown mask featurette, which I believe I had heard were supposed to be included on the DVD as well. Not only that but the Blu-Ray has four trailers and a handful of tv spots but the DVD only has three trailers and no tv spots. We've also got the digital copy on the second disc which could account for shortage of space but why not just include the trailers and tv spots on the first disc? I mean there's already a handful of trailers that start right away when you pop in the first disc, why not just get rid of those and include the actual film's trailers and tv spots? I realize that another DVD release is more than likely once the film has been taken out of theatres after being re-released in January but why screw fans who can't afford the hi-def hook-up yet?

Oh, that's an easy one. Blurays are MUCH more expensive than DVDs. Sometimes up to 3 times the price.

Actually here in Canada, and probably the U.S. too, the Blu-Ray movies aren't that much more expensive. Usually with new releases there's only about a five dollar difference at most, if you're going for the non-single disc edition of the DVD that is. And in fact you can find some Blu-Ray movies for fairly cheap. For example, and these aren't exactly the newest movies either, you can pick up "King Of New York", "Reservoir Dogs", "American Psycho" and I think a few more at Wal-Mart for 13,97$ and Best Buy has the movie "Beer League" from 2006 for 12,99$ on Blu-Ray. Iirc TDK goes for about 27$ Canadian at Best Buy, the 2-discer that is, and the Blu-Ray is about 32$ so like I said not that big of a difference.

You're very fortunate... here in the UK you'd be hard-pressed to find BDs under £25 from a retailer (someone please, please prove me wrong).

That's just insane. Here you'd pay that, or just a little more, for a BD box set.

Ghostcut said:
You're very fortunate... here in the UK you'd be hard-pressed to find BDs under £25 from a retailer (someone please, please prove me wrong).

HMV sell plenty of BD from about 15-18 pounds and sure you can still find even cheaper else where in the UK.

theres no HMV where you are?

There is... but all the Bluray is £25 and up. Bloody regional pricing.

they also sell them online at them prices.

Maybe someone can make a DVD preservation of the Blu Ray exclusive extras....and fix that poorly done menu while they're at it. -_-

Well the two History Channel shows I have already, and AvP had done a DVD with both of them but the links were taken down because they were officially released. I've got a good deal of tv spots which I'll be including on one of my project discs, although since they weren't available for free online and some were included on the Blu-Ray I don't know if I can include them and have whichever disc I place them on posted here. As for the clown mask featurette and the IMAX featurette I also have those, and they were available for free online, so I'll be adding those as well. Granted I have all this material already it just really sucks that they'd include them on the Blu-Ray edition and not the DVD edition.

Thats one of the main selling points of Blu-ray : to be bigger and better than DVD.
To include more and look better while doing it.

10 years ago DVD was way better than VHS in terns of extra content, it only makes sense that BR has more to offer than DVD. Otherwise whats the point of an upgrade?

It's just a real pain. I mean with DVD all you had to do was buy a new player but with Blu-Ray you have to buy an HD TV, HDMI cable (which aren't cheap either) and if you want the full effect a surround sound system. All that will set you back a couple of grand and there's nothing really wrong with DVD to really warrant the upgrade other than Blu-Ray offering the occasional exclusive feature. If DVD companies would stop forcing digital copies on us they'd have more room for extras.

That is actually really reasonable. I think my dad paid 60$ for his, although it's a Monster one. I'm actually not a gamer so spending about 400$ for it just so I could use the Blu-Ray isn't something I want to be doing. Best Buy had a Blu-Ray player, can't remember the brand but it wasn't a top notch one, for 100$ one Boxing Day but I think I'll hold off on getting one until I at least have the right tv for it.

Monster cables (at least HDMI ones) are a rip off.
Analog is one thing but Digital is digital, it either gets there or it doesnt.
there have even been detailed comparisons between Monster and No name brands to prove it.

Part 1
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/field-notes/the-truth-about-monster-cable-266616.php
Part2
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/hdmi-cab...erdict-cheap-cables-keep-upusually-268788.php
Part 3
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/hdmi-cab...ster-cable-+-grand-finale-part-iii-282725.php

The PS3 is a great bet because (unlike early BR players) it has the ability to upgrade its firmware via network updates and the HDD allows it to utilize many features that other players couldn't [then] take advantage of - newer players probably can though.

My point is, if you are looking for a decent BR player the PS3 is a good bet and its a no brainer if you are a gamer as well.

If I was a gamer I'd definetely look into getting a PS3 but I'm not so spending about 400$ plus tax for a machine I'm only going to use to watch movies on is a bit expensive considering you can get brand name Blu-Ray players for nearly half as much. Another reason why I want to wait is because I don't have an HD tv, I still have a tube tv and not a flatscreen at that, and I'm worried that after spending that much money on a player I won't be able to see the whole picture. I mean if you hook up a Blu-Ray player to a standard 4:3 tv do you get the letterboxed look or is it like watching a pan & scanned version of a movie where you lose about 40% of the picture?

Back
Top Bottom