If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

MKV on Mac
(07-18-2018, 06:16 PM)Flubly Wrote: If the video stream inside the mkv container is H.264, you can use MkvToMp4 0.224 for a re-packing to mp4. No transcoding. I know some programs won't import MKV even though they support the video stream inside, not sure if that's the particular case here with iMovie.

This is also how Subler works, and it means that it'll be much faster than handbrake.
(07-18-2018, 06:16 PM)Flubly Wrote: If the video stream inside the mkv container is H.264, you can use MkvToMp4 0.224 for a re-packing to mp4. No transcoding. I know some programs won't import MKV even though they support the video stream inside, not sure if that's the particular case here with iMovie.

I can't speak to the actual software listed, but this workflow is what you should be doing. MKV and MP4 are containers that usually carry the same elementary video and audio streams. Converting via handbrake is pointless and will result in a drop in quality. Find software (hopefully the linked software above works well) that will demux and remux the streams from an MKV container to an MP4 container.

That said, the reasoning for the initial post is rather shady. Please note that we do NOT condone piracy on these forums, and if we find that you are working with pirated material, you will be banned. Links to the rules are at the top of this page. I suggest you read them.
(07-18-2018, 06:59 PM)theryaney Wrote:

This is also how Subler works, and it means that it'll be much faster than handbrake.

Hurr durr, somehow I missed that the program I linked to was Windows only. Thanks for the OSX alternative.