• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

MKV on Mac

davetennisx

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi everyone!

I was wondering what's the best way to handle mkv's on a Mac these days? I feel like most programs either don't support and the ones that do are very buggy with it.

Thanks!

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Answering your question would be easier if you are more specific about what you want to do with your mkv files.

davetennisx

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I used to make tennis highlight reels back in the day, so I'm just looking trim the videos, basically.

Ryantology

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I downloaded any video converter from the Mac Apple store. It was only 4.99 and I found it to be well worth that. I’m able to convert to damn near any format I want. I upload my files into Final Cut Pro with that.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
davetennisx said:
I used to make tennis highlight reels back in the day, so I'm just looking trim the videos, basically.

Don't Macs come with iMovie? That should be able to make the basic trims you are looking to make.

slekyr

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
davetennisx said:

Don't Macs come with iMovie? That should be able to make the basic trims you are looking to make.

Neither iMovie or Final Cut will accept the MKV container.  I'd recommend converting the MKV to a MP4 using handbrake which is free and open source.  Once he has an MP4 he could easily use iMovie to make basic cuts and trims.

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Handbrake is usually the go-to program for me. 

Subler is a great option that's much faster but I'm not sure if it can handle MKVs.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Handbrake is good. 
Advice for beginners though: make sure you never let it convert a video with the default frame rate option. The default is variable frame rate. Remember to change that drop down to Constant/Same as source. 

Variable bit rate is fine, and different. Feel free to experiment with bit rates and "quality". Keep your frame rate constant!

That is all.

davetennisx

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks everyone!

I experimented way back with Handbrake and sometimes it would convert it perfectly fine and other times it wouldn't (after waiting several hours). Probably due to the frame rate option you just mentioned.

Flubly

Reaction score
Trophy Points
If the video stream inside the mkv container is H.264, you can use MkvToMp4 0.224 for a re-packing to mp4. No transcoding. I know some programs won't import MKV even though they support the video stream inside, not sure if that's the particular case here with iMovie.

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Flubly said:
If the video stream inside the mkv container is H.264, you can use MkvToMp4 0.224 for a re-packing to mp4. No transcoding. I know some programs won't import MKV even though they support the video stream inside, not sure if that's the particular case here with iMovie.

This is also how Subler works, and it means that it'll be much faster than handbrake.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Flubly said:

I can't speak to the actual software listed, but this workflow is what you should be doing. MKV and MP4 are containers that usually carry the same elementary video and audio streams. Converting via handbrake is pointless and will result in a drop in quality. Find software (hopefully the linked software above works well) that will demux and remux the streams from an MKV container to an MP4 container.

That said, the reasoning for the initial post is rather shady. Please note that we do NOT condone piracy on these forums, and if we find that you are working with pirated material, you will be banned. Links to the rules are at the top of this page. I suggest you read them.

Flubly

Reaction score
Trophy Points
theryaney said:
Flubly said:

This is also how Subler works, and it means that it'll be much faster than handbrake.

Hurr durr, somehow I missed that the program I linked to was Windows only. Thanks for the OSX alternative.

Top Bottom