• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

5-22-08: A Cloverfield Fanedit (First Fanedit)

TheUltimate

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]UPDATE 9/6/18 : EDIT COMPLETED AND APPROVED[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]The original Cloverfield will always be one of my favorite films. However, there are several things that bug me each time I watch it. Specifically, the whole Rob/Beth relationship subplot, Hud being a creeper on Marlena, stuff like that. I thought of doing a fanedit of my own, but I thought that maybe someone else had already done something like I wanted to, but I could only ever find one fanedit that no one seems to know either where to find or that it even exists (for the record, it was YourMamaVideo’s ‘Cloverfield (Fanedit’)). I then decided to take matters into my own hands. I have recut the 2008 Cloverfield so the characters don’t seem so self centered, removed many cringe scenes (‘You know who Superman is?’) and removing all the flashback footage to create a more focused and tightened story. [/font]

TheUltimate

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Complete Cutlist:

00.00.00-New Opening featuring custom fan edit disclaimer stylized to fit within the films universe.

00.02.04-Cut Flashback Footage.

00.02.42-Cut Flashback Footage.

00.05.30-00.05.59-Trimmed Hud talking to Marlena at he bar so we only see her testimonial.

00.09.18-Cut Hud taking to Rob so there is no mention of another tape and so we go straight to Hud talking to Beth.

00.09.36-Trimmed end of Hud talking to Beth before her testimonial.

00.10.30-Cut Every mention of Rob and Beth sleeping together so Hud doesn’t come off as irresponsible. 

00.11.18-Cut Rob mentioning him and Beth having sex.

00.17.57-Cut Flashback footage.

00.19.33-Cut Hud asking Marlena what she saw on the way to the bridge.

00.31.31-Cut Rob’s phone call in the subway.

00.34.46-Trimmed the ‘you know who Superman is?’ moment so the only lines that remain are ‘Maybe it’s from another planet and flew here.’ Like Superman?’ ‘Yeah, exactly!’

00.35.09-Cut Hud mentioning the ‘Guy that was lighting homeless people on fire.’

00.37.09-Cut Flashback Footage.

00.58.33-Cut a few frames of the helicopter crash so there are no flash frames of Beth at the subway station.

01.04.35-Cut ending on Ferris Wheel,

01.04.39-New Ending Title Cards bridging the film and it’s ARG.

TheUltimate

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Clips:
New Opening, ie the Cloverfield Stylized disclaimer: 
First Cut: 

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thread moved to pending.

TheUltimate

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Whipped up a poster using an alternate poster for Cloverfield:

dZ7EOet.jpg

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

I am pleased to say that this is approved. The fanedit warning and title cards are excellent. I thoroughly enjoy when an edit incorporates the style of the film in the fanedit warning. The new information incorporating the ARG stuff was really cool. I remember the marketing for this film and the ARG backstory stuff was really interesting. It also takes some explanations given outside the film and makes them canon, which I appreciate.  Now, to the cuts. I love the reduction of super creepy Hud. It was always uncomfortable for me but in recent years given the actor even more so. I like the character more in this edit. I still don't like him but I like him more. It makes his death more meaningful IMO. The Rob/Beth dynamic works a bit better here. The movie now shows instead of tells us about what happened with them. Frankly, none of these characters are that interesting outside of Marlene and the removal of the flashbacks take the focus away from a story that is frankly way less interesting than the monster in the city. We still get arcs (kinda) for Rob and Beth, as much as in the original. The lack of flashbacks keeps the focus and the tension on what is happening, instead of cutting away to a backstory that the viewer cares less about than the action. Since so much of the film is spent not really understanding what is going on and why, I find that keeping the viewer there works better. I think the ending is more powerful ending where it does, rather than the ferris wheel scene answering the mystery box question in an unsatisfying way.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Okay, thread is moved and forum status changed to "Faneditor". Congratulations on the approval :) .

By the way, @"TheUltimate" to embed images you need to use the little blue picture icon and use a link to the actual image, not just the page the image is located (I fixed the above poster link for you). It should look like this...

Code:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/dZ7EOet.jpg[/img]

...not like this...

Code:
https://imgur.com/dZ7EOet

TheUltimate

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Okay, thread is moved and forum status changed to "Faneditor". Congratulations on the approval :) .

By the way, @"TheUltimate" to embed images you need to use the little blue picture icon and use a link to the actual image, not just the page the image is located (I fixed the above poster link for you). It should look like this...

Code:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/dZ7EOet.jpg[/img]

...not like this...

Code:
https://imgur.com/dZ7EOet

Oh. Thanks!

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Might want to update your thread title and first post. ;)

Top Bottom