• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Cannibal Holocaust: The Horrorgrind Cut

Horrorgrind

Reaction score
Trophy Points
CANNIBAL_COVER.jpg

When I initially watched this film, I realized that it is actually comprised of two seperate parts. Part one is Prof. Monroe's retrieval of the documentary footage, and the footage itself makes up the second half. My goal with this edit is to make it appear as much like actual documentary footage as possible. It focuses primarily on the four filmmakers, and the film recovered from the jungles of South America. Professor Monroe's role has been altered to merely an audience member watching this horrific footage. Even though quite a few scenes have been removed, I hope to have retained the overall message. Who are the cannibals, really? Is "civilized" man deserving of the title civilized?

The DVD is finished and ready for upload. It will be released Dec. 24th. I've been working on this edit for a while, but I have debated whether to reveal it here, or just on my personal blog. It seems as though a lot of people passed on House of 1000 Corpses due to the VHS look. Cannibal, however is presented in 16:9 DVD quality. So please, if you passed on the last one for that reason, give this one a shot. I really want to show off what I have as an editor to a larger audience.

There may be a VHS Quality supplement added later for those who want to see it that way as well, but for now it's just DVD quality. I want to wait until I get my capture card and improve my effect before trying again with any VHS Editions. My goal is to please everyone with my edits, but especially myself. :)

To Be Released December 24th

Please note that this is a very graphic film. I swear, I do not get off on this sort of thing. -_-

Trailer:
[youtube:b7kn2woj]

Maybe downloadable from Fanedit.info

your goal is to please everyone, yet you pick for your fanedit one of the most controversial movies ever that at least 90% of the people must find terrible and unwatchable. :) funny.

That doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad film. :smile:

Would you rather I just do Star Wars or The Matrix or something? :p

of course not. I think you should by all means stay true to what YOU like.
And I agree, this does not mean it's a bad film. Some say "Dirty Dancing" isn't one either ;-)

i think the point here is dont get too upset if this doesnt get a ton of downloads or comments. It may have absolutely nothing to do with your editing capabilities but rather the subject matter. It may attract a small audience, yet still could be a fantastic edit. keep at it :)

Please note that this is a very graphic film. I swear, I do not get off on this sort of thing

lord knows I do! :twisted:
I am a pacifist and hate real life violence but damn do I love me some movie death/dismemberment.
I owned a shitty VHS of CH for years until I got VthisV DVD a few years ago
51PT252DC1L._SS500_.jpg

While I love the cannibal "violence" the rape scenes and animal mutilations in CH are pretty freaking disturbing though. :oops:

elbarto1 said:
Please note that this is a very graphic film. I swear, I do not get off on this sort of thing

lord knows I do! :twisted:
I am a pacifist and hate real life violence but damn do I love me some movie death/dismemberment.
I owned a shitty VHS of CH for years until I got VthisV DVD a few years ago
While I love the cannibal "violence" the rape scenes and animal mutilations in CH are pretty freaking disturbing though. :oops:

There are so many disturbing and turn-away scenes in this movie it's crazy. This coming from someone who thought he was desensitized to all forms of decapitation, mutilation, and disembowelment. :-(

The torrent will be up soon. Just gotta write up some info about the edit. :)

The edit is done and now available on Demonoid. Thanks to everyone for the kind words, enjoy and Merry Christmas! :)

thank YOU for sharing. And a merry Christmas to you too.

I have so many releases for this film (official and non official) and was thinking of doing an edit for this myself, but you beat me to the punch. I hope you at least removed most of the pointless (and completely un-needed in any film) real animal killings that occured.

I think most people passed on house of 1000 not so much for the vhs look, but more for the fact that it is one of the most hated films for that genre (though I have an appreciation for it on some level)

demonoid has been good this year

UPDATE: I started to clean up the house a few mintues after I made this post--thanks a lot I now have the theme music stuck in my head

tranzor said:
I have so many releases for this film (official and non official) and was thinking of doing an edit for this myself, but you beat me to the punch. I hope you at least removed most of the pointless (and completely un-needed in any film) real animal killings that occured.

I think most people passed on house of 1000 not so much for the vhs look, but more for the fact that it is one of the most hated films for that genre (though I have an appreciation for it on some level)

demonoid has been good this year

UPDATE: I started to clean up the house a few mintues after I made this post--thanks a lot I now have the theme music stuck in my head

Many of those scenes are still in here, sorry. My intent for this edit was not to censor the movie. I agree, those scenes are very difficult to watch, but its part of what makes Cannibal Holocaust so infamous. Know that I do not condone nor enjoy animal violence. Besides, I think there is already a cruelty-free version of this film available.

Also, I don't really understand why House of 1000 Corpses is such a hated film. There are much worse horror movies out there. The House of Wax remake comes to mind. I'm no Rob Zombie fanboy by any means, but I loved H1000C.

Being a huge White Zombie fan, I loved just about everything in H1kC except "baby's" cackling laugh.
I expected an even grittier film but was pleased nonetheless. I am still downloading your edit and hope to view it soon : )

Horrorgrind wrote:
Also, I don't really understand why House of 1000 Corpses is such a hated film. There are much worse horror movies out there. The House of Wax remake comes to mind. I'm no Rob Zombie fanboy by any means, but I loved H1000C.

Personally I think it was because many people did not understand what his intentions were for the film. The "major" public reason was that this film was so hyped up as being the next big thing and being written with a serious tone, that many felt completely betrayed when what they actually received was a humorous, knockoff, somewhat stupid and plot stolen film with no much originality at all. Certainly not what Zombie was promising to deliver. Almost everyone I have spoken to always complained "he just ripped off the Texas Chainsaw massacre". My reply was "so what, so have a thousand other films". Despite the fact that his festival cut was 20 mins longer, you do get enough to see what Zombie's intentions for the film were and that being to just have fun and throw in as many over the top moments as possible.

This is why I like it. I "get it". I love Zombie's visuals and his way of having fun with the genre. I understand exactly what type of movie he was trying to present. Still though like you have said and I agree, "there has been much worse" it was the way the film was presented and trying to come across as something it was not, this is what really rubbed people the wrong way

Will be checking out Cannibal boing doing Tomorrow night. I assume you used Grindhouse's dvd? It only took them close to 8 years to release it, worth the wait however

Cannibal Holocaust: The Horrorgrind Cut

prologue: I remember a discussion I had with mollo the other day in the chat, where we talked about reviews and the ones who should write it, as well as ratings and what is an appropriate rating for a fanedit. We agreed that some movies require a certain audience which it was made for, either fans of the original or maybe the opposite, all depending on the intention of the faneditor.

In the case of Cannibal Holocaust this intention is a bit unclear. The faneditor seemed to want to improve on the existing material, yet maybe just wanted to present a different approach to it or maybe add further depth. With 50 minutes cut the change is very drastic. No doubt about that.

For my review I will take 2 approaches: technical quality and my personal opinion. I find this necessary in this case, because as you will see, these 2 are quite different due to the kind of movie fanedited here.

Please note that as for all my reviews this is just my personal opinion and does not reflect the official opinion of fanedit.org.

video editing: Technical: Quite some thought went into the editing to focus on what the faneditor intended and it does the job. The addition of video distortion for reel ends looks very unnatural and not well done for the obvious time in which the movie was created. With a lot of footage gone, the scenes of the people watching it, seem too long and repeating itself. Some more of that could have been removed. The documentary plot of the "explorers" works quite well from start to finish, with the exception of the missing abortion scene that is later on referred to. Other than that the plot seems to be complete.
Personal opinion: It did not at all improve on this disgusting and sick movie and I regret having watched it. Personally I was happy about the missing abortion scene and would have been happy with a lot more violence and sick behavior removed, but that's just me. I whole heartedly agree with one of the guys saying: "Burn it. All of it."
video editing rating based on technical opinion: 2 of 5 (some issues should be addressed).

video quality: the image was noisy and movements blurred. I did not notice any stuttering though and the colors were good. The original looks better. 3 of 5.

audio editing technical: good. no problems there. The original does not sound better.
Personal opinion: I found the music in many places unfitting. This is not an error of the fanedit, but of the original though. Personally I think it could have been improved with new sound effects and a better score.
audio editing rating based on technical opinion: 5 of 5 (the original sound was not good to start with and supports the atmosphere of the movie).

Entertainment: technical: Those who liked the original will also like this fanedit as it provides an alternate view.
personal opinion: this is sick shit. Stay away from this movie. Totally not entertaining crap. You will be disgusted and if you are not, something is wrong with you.
rating: unfortunately this makes it impossible for me to rate the entertainment. I for one was not at all entertained, but watched through it to be able to comment on it. I assume there are some people who can "enjoy" it, which I try to respect.

Presentation: The DVD comes with a menu (still), scene selection (still) and and info menu (still). The link color is pink, which I hate, as it looks like amateur work. The menus overall are ok, nothing fancy or special but kind of fitting to the content. The trailers are a nice extra.
The DVD also comes with cover art, which is always a good thing. The cover art is ok, nothing too special, but it does the job. The image chosen is the typical one for this movie.
presentation rating: 3 of 5

resulting in an overall rating of 3 of 5 (technical only).
Does it improve on the original? I don't think so. It's different though and a lot shorter. As a fanedit it works.
My personal rating does not need to be added as it is quite obvious, I guess. But I really tried hard to be fair.

Thanks for the review boon. Just a question.. I made animated menus on both the main menu and the chapter selection..... Did they not work? It is entirely possible that I did something wrong since this was my first time using DVDlab.

And I apologize for forcing you to sit through this movie. ;) I knew that there would be some that would dislike it for the movie I used. I have no hard feelings over this. I debated for weeks whether to reveal it here or just on my personal blog, and it was literally a last minute decision, which ultimately I'm glad I made. I think perhaps when people watch a fanedit, they assume that the editor's intent was to improve upon the original, so a lot of people who have talked to me about it told me that I should have removed some of the more gruesome scenes. This wasn't what I had in mind when I began editing, but to offer a different viewpoint. The response has been generally positive (I suppose among those who normally watch this type of movie) and the torrent has been downloaded more than twice as many times as my last edit, which is a big boost to my self confidence. I realize my editing skills have a ton of room for improvement, and I intend to do just that. :)

The abortion scene was later referenced in the movie? I can't believe I missed that.. I'll watch through it again and see if I can find it.

Thanks again for the review, and for watching.

Unlike boon, I do like this film - and so I'll provide a review for you once I've downloaded your cut that hopefully won't be so biased. I love the soundtrack to Holocaust, no matter what anyone else says. It's a shame there's no Xvid as 2GB is a lot for something I'll probably only watch once. Tranzor, the animal violence is quite tame anyway all it really is is slaughter, and if people have a problem with what's in this film they should be far more worried about what goes on in their local slaughterhouse. There's an amount an animal suffers in death, whether farmed or hunted. Though the most difficult scene for me was always the pig being shot as it was clearly domesticated - but hey, that's life it's just an animal get over it.

Oh and the Grindhouse DVD isn't just "DVD quality" it's probably the best quality the movie has ever been released in. Remember - all that footage that the Yate's crew were meant to have shot was shot on 16mm - so the quality even in the cinema probably wasn't as good overall as the DVD is. Sure there's a few seconds missing from The Last Road to Hell - but that's no loss.

please do not comment on what daniel has to say about animals. Let's not even start that. His opinion is clearly awkward and rare and he likes to provoke. Just keep the discussion to this fanedit.

Daniel said:
I love the soundtrack to Holocaust, no matter what anyone else says.

I also love the soundtrack, especially the main score. Its a pretty happy catchy tune at first, but after you've seen the imagery in the film, the music takes on a more eerie tone.. It's like a mental thing. At least, that's me anyway. Looking forward to the review. :)

Daniel said:
Unlike boon, I do like this film - and so I'll provide a review for you once I've downloaded your cut that hopefully won't be so biased. I love the soundtrack to Holocaust, no matter what anyone else says. It's a shame there's no Xvid as 2GB is a lot for something I'll probably only watch once. Tranzor, the animal violence is quite tame anyway all it really is is slaughter, and if people have a problem with what's in this film they should be far more worried about what goes on in their local slaughterhouse. There's an amount an animal suffers in death, whether farmed or hunted. Though the most difficult scene for me was always the pig being shot as it was clearly domesticated - but hey, that's life it's just an animal get over it.

Oh and the Grindhouse DVD isn't just "DVD quality" it's probably the best quality the movie has ever been released in. Remember - all that footage that the Yate's crew were meant to have shot was shot on 16mm - so the quality even in the cinema probably wasn't as good overall as the DVD is. Sure there's a few seconds missing from The Last Road to Hell - but that's no loss.

I promise Boon no provoking or argument starting, just let me clarify myself because Dan is not understanding what I am saying.

Hey Dan
I have no problems in viewing such horrible material on the screen. My main issue is when it is done strictly for the film plot reasons as to some other purpose. Hell even Bergman has a burning horse in one of his features or Jodorwosky's lizard war showing human history in his film Holy Mountain. You cannot take away these creators artistic visions and even in viewing these unnecessary scenes you can acknowledge the art of everything and what they are trying to accomplish (though Cannibal clearly falls into exploitative), but they could have went about it in another direction without having the abuse. This is why when the editor mentioned he was trying to present his edit in more of a doc style, I figured most of those could have been removed. In this films defense (at least according to some reading) the cast and crew did eat the animals that were killed during the making of Cannibal Holocaust.

and if it accounts for anything I am in the hidden footage (somewhere in that crowd) shown from Grindhouse's remaster of the film theatrical presentation which debued at an Exhumed films showing in Philly roughly 8 years ago (this was the print used on the dvd)

So to wrap this up for you, you do not need to truly show abuse on film as it serves no true purpose (despite even the best artistic intention), though I own a ton of films that do have such scenes in them, I will always disagree with the director's choice for using them
--fair enough?

Horrorgrind I am going to try and get review for your edit up by the weekend

Back
Top Bottom