• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Best ripping program for MAC

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello all, I'm on the outlook for a good MAC DVD ripper... free if possible or at least not too expensive... is there any solution?  I had a pretty good one last year but I can't remember which one it was...

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is how I rip a Macintosh apple.

anigif_enhanced-14245-1408812369-1.gif

Have you looked at https://www.videohelp.com/ or done a Google search?

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks @"DigModiFicaTion".  I have tried, but no result has been successful under a cost of 40$

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks Dig!  I never heard of MovieRescuer, but I’ll try both of those out!  Thanks  :p

Ryantology

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have a Mac but I paid around $50 for the software I use. I believe that Make MKV is free to rip dvds but you have to pay for a premium version to rip Blu-ray. That may have changed since I did it but I just wanted to let you know.

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the info, @"Ryantology".  That wouldn't be a problem since I don't plan to work with Blu-rays... all is rest to do is to discover!

Ryantology

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Canon Editor said:
Thanks for the info, @"Ryantology".  That wouldn't be a problem since I don't plan to work with Blu-rays... all is rest to do is to discover!

Right on! Well if you ever need any fanediting help from one Mac user to another, hit me up. :)

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
pavtube for ripping blu-rays and DVDs to lossless prores files. when on sale, pavtube can be fairly inexpensive. search the technical subforum for more info.

be warned: after I installed makemkv, my mac started crashing like crazy. could have been an unrelated software glitch, could have been makemkv.

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Shoot… thans for the warning, @"ssj".  I will check the other program out.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

slekyr

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just recently got a new MacBook Pro (running High Sierra) and switched back to Mac after trying PC out for a few years.  I previously used PavTube as it works well especially converting to ProRes for use in Final Cut Pro X just as ssj mentioned.  I never had any issues with MakeMKV but I would say it's a little concerning that ssj has.

One caveat I would throw out there is that after installing PavTube on my new MacBook Pro, it had compatibility issues with High Sierra and would constantly crash.  According to various forums, app compatibly issues is prevalent with that version of the OS.  I have access to an older Mac running Mavericks and PavTube runs perfectly on that, so the issues are definitely with High Sierra.  PavTube easily rips DVDs and Bluray and converts them to ProRes which you can directly import into FCPX.  If you are running High Sierra I might recommend trying to downgrade and if you aren't on High Sierra I might recommend not upgrading if you want to continue to fanedit.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you are looking for free and powerful,

I still used MAC THE RIPPER, combined with MPEG STREAMCLIP after all these years. :D 
Though I don't know if it works on Blu Rays....?

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Never heard of those… if MKV begins crashing I may try those out!  Thanks @"bionicbob"

Dr. Chim Richalds

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Since Pavtube is unreliable in high Sierra and nonfunctional as I understand it in Mojave, just checking to see what Mac users’ workflow is these days when using a Blu ray source?

Ryantology

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I personally never have any issues with pavtube functionality on high Sierra but I do also find myself using make mkv since pavtube isn’t always able to rip certain Blu-ray’s.

Dr. Chim Richalds

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ryantology said:
I personally never have any issues with pavtube functionality on high Sierra but I do also find myself using make mkv since pavtube isn’t always able to rip certain Blu-ray’s.

Yes, make mkv has been reliable... what do you use to convert the mkv to prores or AIC?

Ryantology

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dr. Chim Richalds said:
Yes, make mkv has been reliable... what do you use to convert the mkv to prores or AIC?

I usually go from Make MKV to handbrake with good results.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I ended up watching the first half of Solo on the plane the other day and have renewed interest in doing a light edit of it. I’m no editor and just use iMovie. Is there a way to get a movie purchased in iTunes into iMovie?

Top Bottom