• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Carnival & Haunted (Double Feature):

MCP

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Carnival & Haunted (Double Feature):

Familiar territory here, as Maniac takes us on a ride into Tobe Hooper's teenage slasher, "The Funhouse."
Hooper was still an unknown, yet promising talent at this point, smack between "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" and "Poltergeist." "The Funhouse" could be called family friendly, with little brother, too family friendly.
Maniac's powers up his chainsaw and rips into this.

Video - 1280 X 720p AVC. First time I have noticed Maniac's new opening, which I suspect is a harbinger of things to come. A clever touch. From there, straight into the peeper's POV. Once we actually reach the carnival, the rich colors shimmer across the screen. Such vintage saturation appears lush compared with today's desaturated hues. Much of the action occurs within the funhouse, and shadows and blacks are solid throughout.
Thank you for not damaging the print. Too many rookie editors go crazy with grain, grime, scratches, thinking they have produced "art." Learn from Maniac, guys.

Audio - 160 kbps, 2 Channel AC-3. No subs, not expecting with this one. Dialogue clear. Pretty good dynamic range for a 1981 flick. The noises, groans, shrieks, chortles, et al, jump out. I know he modified the music here and there - I never noticed.

Narrative - This was a decent film to begin with. Amy's brother was always annoying and useless. Far as I'm concerned, Maniac could have started his version at the 5.45 point, excising most of Joey altogether. Nonetheless, his brisk edit is coherent and makes drive-in sense.

Enjoyment - Very much so. This would also be an excellent introduction to Maniac's library. While there are kills, there is no gore and nudity is brief. This is a satisfying late night quickie, when you're in the mood for Horror, but want to watch only an hour or less.

NOTE - Will update later.

https://ifdb.fanedit.org/carnival-and-haunted-double-feature/discussions/9865/

Back
Top Bottom