• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi: Recut:

MCP

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi: Recut:

This is the first Last Jedi edit I have watched. To give some context, I didn't HATE the original film when I saw it, but I found it extremely disappointing.

The quality of the MP4 is perfectly acceptable, nothing stellar. This may have been intentional to help the reinstated deleted scenes blend in better, I'm not sure. I also would have preferred a nice 5.1 audio mix but beggars can't be choosers! :)

Visual and audio editing is mostly great. I did miss the typical iris wipe into the closing credits and something seemed off with the score at the end of the title crawl but other than that no complaints from me.

The editor doesn't remove and fix everything that irks me about Last Jedi but has to be given credit for this edit's most crowning achievement - the seamless removal of the Canto Bight subplot in it's entirety. Doing so had to have been incredibly difficult but only proves how utterly pointless that subplot was. The rest of the movie isn't hindered, only helped. I agree with other reviewers that removing Canto Bight does mess with the pacing a little, but it definitely works better than the theatrical version. Unnecessary humour is toned down but isn't absent entirely which is a plus from me. Again, I would have cut more but thats all personal preference.

The only moment that really took me out of the movie was Rey's third lesson. There's clearly wire-work going on here that I think should have been cut. The shot of her 'running' across the rocks looks super weird. I feel we could have seen her ignite and run with he lightsaber and then instantly cut to her arriving at the village. But this is really my only major issue with this edit.

All in all I can't recommend this edit enough. It's not perfect (for me) but it could well be for you, and it's still likely to replace my official Blu-Ray next time I binge the entire saga.

Well done, SoboFilms!

https://ifdb.fanedit.org/star-wars-episode-viii-the-last-jedi-recut/discussions/9851/

Top Bottom